• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Wolford

He remained in the pocket when needed despite no o-line. He made a couple nice passes as a result. More impressive than what he did was what he did not do as a freshman QB under similar circumstances - crumble under pressure, fumble, and throw interceptions. The future is bright for him given some good recruiting and development.

He made wise decisions. I wish that he would have thrown it away instead of taking the sack. He's way down the list of worries for Wake.

For a true freshman QB, starting in his first college game, playing behind a line that can't block, with receivers that can't catch, and a running back that can't run, he didn't look bad.

Well said. Actually his passes were remarkably on target given the factors mentioned above.

He did have a tendency to short arm throws, but overall I had no problems with him. Even the threat of throwing it deep more often - even if our guys couldn't haul them in - would've helped IMO.

I wonder if his HS receivers were better :couch:

Terry came back in maybe in the next possession.

Announcers said Terry had to be subbed for a down because his helmet came off during the play. So they rotated Helms briefly.

I would love to see how good he could be with even a modicum of support from the OL. Seems like there's a ton of promise there.

I would love to see how good he could be with even a modicum of support from the OL. Seems like there's a ton of promise there.
Exactly; even better imagine this kid as a junior with a beefed up OLine and some deep threats. i think 2016 is going to be a special year once this all settles

I was impressed.

The kid got sacked a ton and managed to hold onto the ball. I was expecting a freshman to get jittery but he hung in there. I also expected since the offense was going absolutely nowhere he may try to force a couple throws and get a pick or two but he mostly made the right decisions.

You can't the blame him when our center is getting beat straight up and guys are just getting taken to town by the D line left and right. One big sack came from him tripping over a defender which was not his fault. He actually did well to illude some sacks. A less mobile QB would have been sacked far more.

To me he made two mistakes. Once he was being hit and tried to make a throw (should have taken the sack). It looked like his arm got hit and he was fortunate a LB didn't get to it. The the other was the near pick where the defender jumped in front.

QB play was not our problem. I don't care if you have Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota or any other highly touted QB in there. They are not going to be effective with that O Line, WR corps and play calling.

twice i saw him in our own endzone, once he needed a yard to end the half, the second time i recollect him confidently stepping up into the pocket and throw a 15 yard completion.

he deserves his own thread.

He had as much poise as good be expected in his first start behind that OL backed up in the end zone as often as he was.

From the USU Board:

bigbluebaby said:
So just after the game the game my 6 yr old boy and his buddy were standing at the rail as the Wake players were exiting.

And the wake QB Wofford saw them there and came over and brought them a QB towel and a sweat band and asked them if they were football players ( they both play on my flag team) .

He stood and talked to them for a minute and told them to keep working hard and good things wood happen, then yelled good luck and headed to the locker room.

Tough thing to do after getting your butt kicked in enemy territory .

So call it blasphemy but I am now a Wofford /,wake fan.

There are a few good dudes left in college sports sadly they go unheralded a lot.

I'm going to send an email to the wake AD complimenting the team on how classy they were.

If this is true, it's the second most impressive thing I've read about Wolford, the first being the fact that he is still upright and walking.

Still a baby. Nice to see that he finally moved the offense some in the 2nd half.

Good guy from the sounds of it. Count me in with those shocked he was still able to stand at all after that game.

This is the kind of guy who deserves to have some success. Unflappable. Please surround him with some talent and let him maximize his college career potential.

Maybe lost the game last night, but Wolford is a winner in many ways.
Will be fun to see hime get better (along with the team) over the next few years.

Great story. I hope the AD doesn't exploit it and sell it as a justification of the on-field product, similar to what we saw in the [Redacted] Error.

Back