• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jordan concerned Bobcats aren't connecting with community

For the love of God, don't change the name to Charlotte Flight. That is worse than Bobcats.

He realizes that he's one of the biggest problems, right? I've lived here since 2002 and not once have I seen Jordan in Charlotte. Meanwhile, I see Muggsy around town randomly about once a year, if not more, and I've seen him at a few events I've attended. And I see various Panther's players/coaches out to dinner and at events often. But not one Jordan sighting.

If he wants to connect with the community, he should be a part of it.

I've seen Rich Cho and Rod Higgins at lunch on numerous occasions in the last year since I started working uptown. Jordan stepping out to lunch a couple days a week around uptown would do a lot for making the team feel more a part of CLT.

This. If Jordan is looking for a reason why the Bobcats have not been embraced by our community, he needs to take a good long look in the mirror.

Bobcats need a lot, but mostly they need a scorer. Stephen Jackson was the perfect ballhog scorer to go with an entire team of role players. Now it's just boring role players.

Biyombo is the closest thing the Bobcats have to an exciting ticket selling player. The city is more excited for Checkers games.

Oh, and they got trade raped with Chandler to Dallas.

Kemba is definitely more of a ticket seller than Biyombo. Hell half the Bobcats fans favorite player is Kemba

I've always thought re-branding was a good idea for the B-Kitties. Nobody cares about a team called the Bobcats. It sounds lame. About as lame as the colors. Jersey design is salvageable but for gods sakes make it more marketable.

I stand by the fact that the all orange jerseys were badass, but we need to be severely rebranded.

I actually think he has it heading generally in the right direction. Obviously the Thunder are their model to build a small-market team through the draft and minor FAs for the time being. They seem to have hit on both Kemba Walker and Biyombo. Assuming they can get the #1 pick and Anthony Davis, he and Biyombo give them a very good young frontcourt with Tyrus Thomas moving forward. They just really need to hope that Davis can be a difference-maker like Durant (different position, obviously) or Blake Griffin. Walker looks really good, and Augustine and Henderson are serviceable. If they've got Walker, Henderson, Davis, and Biyombo, along with Thomas and Augustine off the bench, that could be competitive 2 or 3 years from now if they can get a top-tier scoring FA SG or SF to round out the starting 5.

The arena was pretty crowded a week or so ago to watch the Clippers, so there are NBA fans in the area. If the team gets some talent and starts winning, people will come out to watch.

Kemba Walker is a fucking disaster. Seriously, I watch a ton of Bobcats games and he is essentially Ben Gordon without the height and shooting touch. He will never be a real PG.

The Bobs had good players at exactly 2 positions going into the season, PG and SG. And the Bobs have done their best to get rid of DJ Augustin. Just stupid.

Have a HUGE community / state wide vote on what the new team name should be.... change the colors to something way better.... have throwback day a couple times a season to give fans the chance to wear their old stuff.

The NBA needs a Gold & Black team.....

Any opinions on how the Bobcats can re-connect with the Charlotte/NC community?

To speak directly to your question:

The Mecklenburg School Athletic donation last year was a great start but they/Michael need to take that much further.

Setting up a multi-year fund to help out the beleaguered library system would be a big step. It could be a great tie-in with both the county, RIF, the Bobcats and the NBA. If they could help the system to get some matching grants, even better.

They have (for some time) seemed to do some great stuff under the radar, if it's community gardens (working with homeowners) or Street Turkeys (which might be more of an NBA thing rather than a Bobcats thing) but they need to be much more front and center with this sort of stuff. With so many schools doing pre and post school-year clean up projects and community events such as end-of-year testing parties, having just one or two members of the team at something like that handing out snowcones would be HUGE.

We have ANG deployments, troop returns and myriad fund raising events for the USO in Charlotte. It would be great to feature the team's involvement. If it's something that they helped staff w/ players and lady cats along w/ volunteers, or if it was some skills thing they (Bobcats) hatched themselves to team up players with the Wounded Warrior project. There are so many ways they could endear themselves to the community here though events like this (or at a minimum, donate signed basketball wear and gear to auction off for fund raising). I hear about Checkers Military Appreciation games and Panthers Military Appreciation games and Charlotte Motor Speedway sponsored events (currently the Vietnam Veterans Celebration) - never hear about the Bobcats Military Appreciation night (they might have done so but it's not something stuck in my mind like the others which seem to happen regularly).

The Cat Crazies idea that Maggette put together was a very insightful move. But why does it take Maggs coming here to make that happen - where's the internal brains on ideas like this? But all in all, great effin' move by him and just as good a move by Henderson to say he'll cover it if Maggs isn't here to do so for the term he offered to sponsor it (two years). But in the end, this might endear some locals to Maggs and Hendo, it's a long way from connecting the city to the Cats.

Something Cam did early in the NBA season was to be very present at the Bobcats games. Much like Denny Hamlin (think it was him) and Fred Couples were ever present last year. That probably opens them up to folks that might not have a strong opinion of them already or strengthens an existing opinion. The [Bobcat] players should take note of this and be seen at Panthers games and Checkers games and at Quail Hollow - key there is be seen, I mean on the jumbotron and on TV. The more folks see them as fans of Charlotte teams/events, the more that will open them up to a new audience.

Basically, the things above are - as I see them - things that are "gifts" to the community. There is and probably will always be a faction that doesn't want to like the Bobcats (be it for Bob Johnson, the team name, that they aren't the Hornets, the way Shinn packed up and left, the coliseum vote/funding, and other reasons). For those that would be influenced by the naysayers, if there are enough folks "touched" by what the 'cats are doing in the community, it sorta takes away the ammo to be against them. I don't think this is tied to their winning. How they are structured right now, they have a far better chance to be lovable losers than erudite winners any time soon.

They do have to show effort on the court though and if they deal DJA and don't have something significant to show for it - they will alienate a lot of folks that are still holding on after being hurt by the Wallace deal.

JMO - you asked :)

The NBA needs a Gold & Black team.....

NBA-Los-Angeles-Lakers-24-Kobe-Bryant-Black-Gold-Adidas-Jerseys-Basketball-Gear-1590-29256.jpg

fuck yeah

The Bobcats should change their name to the Carolina (?) Flight, (Charlotte Flight doesn't have the same ring to it) change their colors to Black & Gold, add Muggsy to the coaching staff, pick up an aging superstar and top draft pick (Anthony Davis, Drummond, Sullinger, T. Robinson) and start trying to honor the great former Hornets like Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning. On that idea, they could recreate those old Larry Johnson Grandmama commercials to advertise events and merchandise. Also, Jordan should create a line of clothes and shoes that is only for the Bobcats.

Last edited:
The Bobcats should change their name to the Carolina (?) Flight, (Charlotte Flight doesn't have the same ring to it) change their colors to Black & Gold, add Muggsy to the coaching staff, pick up an aging superstar and top draft pick (Anthony Davis, Drummond, Sullinger, T. Robinson) and start trying to honor the great former Hornets like Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning. On that idea, they could recreate those old Larry Johnson Grandmama commercials to advertise events and merchandise. Also, Jordan should create a line of clothes and shoes that is only for the Bobcats.

I LIKE CAROLINA FLIGHT! (Kind of adds emphasis to how the whole state should support them)

NBA-Los-Angeles-Lakers-24-Kobe-Bryant-Black-Gold-Adidas-Jerseys-Basketball-Gear-1590-29256.jpg

fuck yeah

Those unis are sick

I actually think he has it heading generally in the right direction. Obviously the Thunder are their model to build a small-market team through the draft and minor FAs for the time being. They seem to have hit on both Kemba Walker and Biyombo. Assuming they can get the #1 pick and Anthony Davis, he and Biyombo give them a very good young frontcourt with Tyrus Thomas moving forward. They just really need to hope that Davis can be a difference-maker like Durant (different position, obviously) or Blake Griffin. Walker looks really good, and Augustine and Henderson are serviceable. If they've got Walker, Henderson, Davis, and Biyombo, along with Thomas and Augustine off the bench, that could be competitive 2 or 3 years from now if they can get a top-tier scoring FA SG or SF to round out the starting 5.

The arena was pretty crowded a week or so ago to watch the Clippers, so there are NBA fans in the area. If the team gets some talent and starts winning, people will come out to watch.

I don't torture myself by watching the Bobcats on a regular basis, but is Kemba being a hit generally accepted? Dude's shooting 37% from the field.

Kemba Walker is a fucking disaster. Seriously, I watch a ton of Bobcats games and he is essentially Ben Gordon without the height and shooting touch. He will never be a real PG.

The Bobs had good players at exactly 2 positions going into the season, PG and SG. And the Bobs have done their best to get rid of DJ Augustin. Just stupid.

Well the good news is that they literally cannot screw up this year. With a top-5 pick basically guaranteed (as is a #31 pick, fingers crossed), it would be hard to mess up.

Anthony Davis/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist/Harrison Barnes/Thomas Robinson would be fine with me with the lotto pick and, should Moe Harkless/Marcus Denmon/Tomas Satoransky/Scott Machado be around at #31, then that's fine by me.

Back