• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jordan concerned Bobcats aren't connecting with community

I don't torture myself by watching the Bobcats on a regular basis, but is Kemba being a hit generally accepted?

No.

He's had some moments and seems to have a better head on his shoulders than DJ, but I just don't see him being any sort of long term option for the Cats at this point. In any case, the team needs an update at the PG spot. Two undersized SGs does not an playoff-caliber backcourt make...

The Bobcats should change their name to the Carolina (?) Flight, (Charlotte Flight doesn't have the same ring to it) change their colors to Black & Gold, add Muggsy to the coaching staff, pick up an aging superstar and top draft pick (Anthony Davis, Drummond, Sullinger, T. Robinson) and start trying to honor the great former Hornets like Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning. On that idea, they could recreate those old Larry Johnson Grandmama commercials to advertise events and merchandise. Also, Jordan should create a line of clothes and shoes that is only for the Bobcats.

There's an AAU team called the Carolina Flight.

Not sure that is relevant or not though.

Makes you wonder how different things would be if Larry Bird had been able to buy the team instead of Bob Johnson.

Besides the dumb "Flight" idea...anyone have any other suggestions for names or colors?

Annoying to hear people bitch about problems without giving solutions...

Besides the dumb "Flight" idea...anyone have any other suggestions for names or colors?

Annoying to hear people bitch about problems without giving solutions...

I think it's obvious what they should try to do, given the current circumstances of the franchise that already left town. They should get with the NBA, who is currently "owning" the New Orleans Hornets, and get the Hornets name back to Charlotte. I don't know many of the details about the New Orleans franchise, but it seems to be there is a strong possibility that team moves in the near future, and it would be the perfect time for that franchise to rebrand itself as well. So then the perfect solution is to return the Hornets name and colors to Charlotte. NOBODY has ever liked the Bobcats or their colors, as already stated, the entire series of events leading to that name was bullshit. Maybe I'm just nostalgic because I grew up going to Charlotte Hornet games with my dad, but if they announced tomorrow that the Bobcats will become the Hornets, I'm totally back on board.

P.S. The Flight sucks too. The Hornets is the only option they should consider if they want to rebrand.

It sounds silly, but rebranding back to the Hornets would change everything. You still see Charlotte Hornets gear all over town. I've to this day never seen anyone in Bobcats gear.

1) Carolina Flight is a horrible name.
2) Charlotte Hornets is a great name that has 240 year old historical links to the city. It's criminal that the name is in New Orleans. The NBA was keen to giving Chris Paul to the Clippers, maybe they'll give us our name back.
3) Kemba and Biyombo are all we've got right now to go with Tyrus Thomas and maybe Gerald Henderson for the future, so hopefully Kemba's the real deal.
4) The city will support the team if they can win at any reasonable level. the support was there as they were in the playoff mix and playoffs a few years ago.
5) Jerry Richardson isn't exactly a man of the people, although I do see him at lunch and he does stroll through tailgates occasionally. Jordan could do more, but he'd have to have security detail with him. The dude lives in a penthouse condo uptown and had a private elevator installed so he doesn't have to bother with the 7 other very well off condo owners in his building, one of whom is Boris Diaw. Maybe socializing isn't his forte.

They should have gotten CP3 when they had the chance. ever since then, I pretty much despise them ... esp when they took Felton & May.

1) Carolina Flight is a horrible name.
2) Charlotte Hornets is a great name that has 240 year old historical links to the city. It's criminal that the name is in New Orleans. The NBA was keen to giving Chris Paul to the Clippers, maybe they'll give us our name back.
3) Kemba and Biyombo are all we've got right now to go with Tyrus Thomas and maybe Gerald Henderson for the future, so hopefully Kemba's the real deal.
4) The city will support the team if they can win at any reasonable level. the support was there as they were in the playoff mix and playoffs a few years ago.
5) Jerry Richardson isn't exactly a man of the people, although I do see him at lunch and he does stroll through tailgates occasionally. Jordan could do more, but he'd have to have security detail with him. The dude lives in a penthouse condo uptown and had a private elevator installed so he doesn't have to bother with the 7 other very well off condo owners in his building, one of whom is Boris Diaw. Maybe socializing isn't his forte.

I didn't know that about the condo, that's pretty crazy.

The Bobcats need to do a lot and even then I am not sure what would realistically bring fans back unless you saw them really start winning games and becoming a force in the East. I am not a fan of the name, but I am not sure changing it to Hornets and the old color scheme is really going to change a lot (maybe it would).

I agree with everything that's been said about Bob Johnson, the C-Set bull, etc.

I lived in Charlotte for 7 years from 2002-2009 and always thought Charlotte was sort of a mediocre sports town. The support for the Panthers was good when they were winning but I always felt if they were 15-0 and playing at home for 16-0 against the Steelers, Cowboys, or Redskins the staduim would still be 50% full of the away teams fans. My point is the Panthers might not even be the most popular pro-football team in town. This is a product of how the larger cities in the south have changed to more transplant cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, parts of Florida. I knew more people in Charlotte who were from Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, and Chicago then I did North Carolina or Charlotte. They all kept their loyalties to other teams.

The Hornets success with fans I think may have been a "lightning in a bottle" type deal that I am not sure can ever be duplicated.

They should have gotten CP3 when they had the chance. ever since then, I pretty much despise them ... esp when they took Felton & May.

It was a bad move, but get over it. Paul would probably be gone by now anyway. Felton is an NBA quality point guard. If you want to be upset, be upset that the drafterd may instead of Danny Granger (2009 All-Star). If you really want to be aggravated, think about Will Bynum being selected 10th in that draft, after Felton at #5.

However, keep in mind that every player on that team, every member of the front office, and the owner have all been replaced by now.

It was a bad move, but get over it. Paul would probably be gone by now anyway. Felton is an NBA quality point guard. If you want to be upset, be upset that the drafterd may instead of Danny Granger (2009 All-Star). If you really want to be aggravated, think about Will Bynum being selected 10th in that draft, after Felton at #5.

However, keep in mind that every player on that team, every member of the front office, and the owner have all been replaced by now.

That, and any money they might have had for big free agents was probably eaten by Sean May. I mean that literally. He probably literally sat down with a fork and knife and ate all the money. Probably ate a couple of bench players, too.

I saw MJ in Atlanta one time and I literally shit on myself

I dozen years ago I ran into him in a club in Raleigh, I turned the corner on a stairwell and his stomach was in my face. His entourage quickly stepped up but realized I was just some drunk kid.

Kemba Walker is a fucking disaster. Seriously, I watch a ton of Bobcats games and he is essentially Ben Gordon without the height and shooting touch. He will never be a real PG.

The Bobs had good players at exactly 2 positions going into the season, PG and SG. And the Bobs have done their best to get rid of DJ Augustin. Just stupid.

Anyone who ever thought that Kemba Walker would be a "real" PG is an idiot. He is what he is - a guard with a good handle who can score. That said, you can win with that type of player in the NBA if the rest of the roster is strong (Jason Terry, Chauncey Billups, etc). Agreed that Walker and Augustin are the same type of player, but Walker is better in that role, and will be better at it moving forward, than Augustin.

Well the good news is that they literally cannot screw up this year. With a top-5 pick basically guaranteed (as is a #31 pick, fingers crossed), it would be hard to mess up.

Anthony Davis/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist/Harrison Barnes/Thomas Robinson would be fine with me with the lotto pick and, should Moe Harkless/Marcus Denmon/Tomas Satoransky/Scott Machado be around at #31, then that's fine by me.

What are you referring to with this "#31 pick"? As far as I know, the Bobcats don't have any other 2012 draft picks that are owed to them (they do have Portland's 1st rounder in 2013, according to this website).

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Last edited:
You're thinking to hard...

If they get the #1 Overall, they should get the #1 pick in the second round...aka the #31 Pick

Ah, of course. For some reason had 32 teams in my head, not 30 (and he was hoping that some other team - whose first round pick we were owed - would make the finals and we would get their next-to-last pick).

Back