• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jose heading towards NYC

The scariest scenario is Miami. While the city is practically synonymous with storms—just ask the University of Miami—it has escaped a direct hit for 91 years, and with it the massive storm surge that might deal irreparable damage.

“It won't survive,” Craig Fugate, the former top emergency manager for both the federal government and the state of Florida, said in 2014.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/538200/

Also:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/18/miami-hurricane-flood-control/13170817/

Obligatory doofus legal disclaimer: I am not a licensed electrician. You should use a licensed electrician to install anything electric in your home. And this is not legal advice!

You can power most of a small home with a 7-10kW portable generator. I think 10kW or maybe 12kW is the largest size you can get in portable form factors. The things you will run into trouble running are heat/AC, water heater (tank-style, tankless should be fine to run), well pump (no worries if you don't have well water), dryer, and electric range. You may be able to run one of those alone. More on selecting loads later. When choosing a generator, you'll need to sit down and calculate what loads are critical. The sum of those load's max power requirements should be used for choosing what wattage class you're in. Some generators are dual fuel, meaning you can use gasoline or propane.

There are a few ways to get power to the things you need to run:
The easy way is to run a 120V drop cord (of the appropriate wire size for the loads you'll be running) from the generator to the inside of your house. Plug the things you want to run into the cord and you're good to go. You wont be able to run any hard wired things or 240V stuff like A/C&heat, dryer, well pump, etc.

The best way is to get power to your main panel. You must isolate your generator from the main electrical service to your home. This is crucial and legally required so that you don't backfeed electricity into the grid (those transformers that step transmission line voltage to 240V work backwards, too!) and put line workers at further risk for electrocution. Furthermore, you run the risk of damage to your home's electrical systems and devices when the main power comes back on. Bottom line here is that the main breaker to your house must be OFF before you feed any power to your house from the generator. There are a few right ways to get power to the main breaker, and almost all of them require the services of a licensed electrician. Your choices really boil down to an automatic transfer switch, a manual transfer switch, or a panel interlock configuration. An automatic transfer switch does all of this automatically. A manual transfer switch sends power to loads that you manually select when power is lost. A panel interlock works when you have a way to feed power to a breaker inside of your main panel from the generator. The interlock won't allow you to transfer power from the generator to your home's loads unless the main breaker is off. From there, you can select which loads to power by toggling the individual breakers on/off inside of your panel.

There's a lot I left out. Post up any questions y'all have.

Official Hurricane Irma Thread (Potential category 5)

Seems like we just say we'll #rebuild because it's the politically correct thing to do. BKF is right, let's stop rebuilding the coasts, and tornado alley. It's a waste of money.

Need to stop concentrating all of our resources and intellect in small vulnerable areas know as cities. Need an involuntary reassignment of city populations to rural shit holes.

Got room for 4 more?

Ph - if you need shelter, we'll make room. It will cost you a bottle of decent red wine and you'll have to help me move some furniture, but you're welcome to wait it out here.

Hope you like air mattresses or recliners as the five 60+ expected Floridian family members get dibs on the bedrooms. Will probably have 3 kids, ranging from 6-12, a 30 something couple and possibly a couple of teenagers on couches, recliners or air matresses in addition to your family.

Say hey. I'm a licensed electrician in NC. Physdeac is right on everything he said. Would just add that the best way to do it with a portable generator(5 to 12 kw) is with a transfer switch. It keeps the power from being back feed to the system and is the only legal(with in NEC code) way to do it. It will have 6 to 10 single pole 15 and 20 amp circuits one or 2 of which will be double pole 220v 30 amp circuits for water heaters and heat pumps. I or 20 You just need to identify the circuits you need the most. Couple lighting and receptacle circuits and refrigerator and freezer circuits. You are limited by the size of your generator though. Most of the "whole home" generators are 15 to 30 kw and can run the your entire service with a very large automatic transfer switch but are very expensive to buy and have installed.

Like was said earlier you should always have a licensed electrician do any generator work because you can get in a lot of trouble if power is able to feed back into the line transformer because it steps your 220v generator back up to 7500 volts and is obviously very dangerous to lineman and Poco workers.
With the portable just remember you can run your water heater or AC unit off of it because both are usually 30 amp. along with the lighting circuits and your blower fan if you have a gas pack or oil furnace cause they are usually 20 amp. You just can't run and indoor unit with strip heat on it because it's too much apperage.

Ph - if you need shelter, we'll make room. It will cost you a bottle of decent red wine and you'll have to help me move some furniture, but you're welcome to wait it out here.

Hope you like air mattresses or recliners as the five 60+ expected Floridian family members get dibs on the bedrooms. Will probably have 3 kids, ranging from 6-12, a 30 something couple and possibly a couple of teenagers on couches, recliners or air matresses in addition to your family.

Thanks for the offer. I think we're going to hunker down at this point. We aren't in the 500 year flood zone. We are prepping for loss of electricity and the like. Any recs for solar battery chargers for home use? What I've seen is for outdoor use like camping and such.

I'm supposed to travel to Sarasota on 9/11. Should I cancel that trip?

Any recs for solar battery chargers for home use? What I've seen is for outdoor use like camping and such.

Not really. The Goal Zero units have some potential, but still pretty limited and you need lead acid batteries to extend your usage time. If my kids were still young, I'd have puzzles, crayons and poster board on hand in addition to the energy basics.

I wanted to build a passive solar, earth sheltered house as a young man (called them bermed homes years ago), but couldn't find the right piece of land and mortgage companies don't speak that language. I settled for a cabin and woodstove. Seven years of that made me appreciate thermostadts and heat pumps. I looked into adding solar panels to our present home a few years ago as I have a southern exposure, but our HOA isn't too cool on the idea.

Hope this storm misses the US and doesn't cripple the islands in its current path.

Social media seems to have people getting nervous, vs prepared and there is a difference, and then it snowballs

Not really. The Goal Zero units have some potential, but still pretty limited and you need lead acid batteries to extend your usage time. If my kids were still young, I'd have puzzles, crayons and poster board on hand in addition to the energy basics.

I wanted to build a passive solar, earth sheltered house as a young man (called them bermed homes years ago), but couldn't find the right piece of land and mortgage companies don't speak that language. I settled for a cabin and woodstove. Seven years of that made me appreciate thermostadts and heat pumps. I looked into adding solar panels to our present home a few years ago as I have a southern exposure, but our HOA isn't too cool on the idea.

Hope this storm misses the US and doesn't cripple the islands in its current path.

In the process of adding solar panels over the next month. Pretty excited about it. Won't change my bottom line for 20 years, but I'll love being as off the grid as possible.

In the process of adding solar panels over the next month. Pretty excited about it. Won't change my bottom line for 20 years, but I'll love being as off the grid as possible.

Assuming they don't get blown off the roof

145723_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

PS this map in post #4 auto-updates.

Need to stop concentrating all of our resources and intellect in small vulnerable areas know as cities. Need an involuntary reassignment of city populations to rural shit holes.

Deacon923 does not approve.

Everyone from Florida can come stay with me.

Remember when America had a state shaped like a weird dick?

That was fun.

Back