• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jose heading towards NYC

Mom in Charleston is heading to my sister's in ATL for the weekend. Mother in Law in DeLand is riding it out. I'm a little worried for her, but don't know how much force that part of the state will get.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about who really needs to evacuate as well. Of course it's safer to be out, but when roads clog and there's no gas that's even more dangerous than staying. There are plenty of people in the cities and towns this hurricane will hit that live in safe structures and are not in tidal surge zones. Those people should be prepared and stay.

If this thing makes landfall on the southern tip of FL and then goes mostly straight north, it could go up a quarter of the state before going over a single population center (Belle Glade, Pahokee, etc.) and then more than half of the state before hitting a city (Orlando). By that time the eye would have collapsed. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Naples would still feel it, but it would be far from catastrophic.

I think they should make Bern's, in Tampa, a shelter. 10,000 bottles of wine and all those great steaks...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If this thing makes landfall on the southern tip of FL and then goes mostly straight north, it could go up a quarter of the state before going over a single population center (Belle Glade, Pahokee, etc.) and then more than half of the state before hitting a city (Orlando). By that time the eye would have collapsed. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Naples would still feel it, but it would be far from catastrophic.

Fair point.

21317790_1966665413611179_5750403742900430536_n.jpg

What up with NC declaring emergency in every county? Very pussy! They should be positioning assets to help whoever gets wrecked. That state went to shit when I left, what with the bathroom and the nervous and all.

Fair point.

Here is why it isn't a fair point. While it would cross that much of the state, much of that area is the Everglades. As Wilma showed in 2005, a hurricane can actually strengthen over the Everglades as it is very warm water. This is why they are estimating that such a track will cause the hurricane to be a strong 2 or weak 3 when it hits Orlando if it goes up the spine of the state.

While a 2 or 3 isn't what South Florida is going to experience, it is bad for the Orlando, and DeLand, area because they do not have the same building requirements that South Florida and the coastal areas have. Where as all buildings built in the last 25 years in South Florida and, say the Tampa area, are required to use Concrete Block Construction, inland like Orlando still uses wood frame construction. Their structures simply aren't built to withstand stronger winds, such as a strong 2 or 3 can bring.

Also, even with the forecasts showing a path up the spine, from Miami to Vero Beach is in the catastrophic zone according to forecasts because the right side of the hurricane has the strongest winds.

Finally, from Belle Glade to West Palm Beach is only about 45 miles. Currently, hurricane force winds extend out more than 50 miles from the eye. Figure Miami is even closer to the eye for wherever it comes on land.

Last edited:
What up with NC declaring emergency in every county? Very pussy! They should be positioning assets to help whoever gets wrecked. That state went to shit when I left, what with the bathroom and the nervous and all.

Neither Pat nor Roy have the stones of their predecessor.

At 5 pm, the pressure for Irma was 922 mb, which is exactly what Andrew was when it made land. At 8 pm, it had dropped to 919 mb, which means the storm is strengthening as it moves into the warmer water. The local news said the 5 am update will show if wind speeds increase again due to this drop, but they won't be surprised to see that happen. As it stands now, Irma has set a record for the longest time that a hurricane has maintained sustained winds of 175 mph or longer. Currently at 67 hours.

Took my mom and grandmother 11 hours to make a 7.5 hour drive. They said it was bumper to bumper and a max of 30 mph until they hit SC.

Atlanta may face category 1 conditions

Atlanta

Atlanta is 662 miles from Miami

Last edited:
Think there's any use in trying to get Delta to bump me to Saturday or even Friday night from Sunday? Flying into ATL...

This new track makes it look like it's going to rumble through the entire state of FL, visit ATL, then end up around Chattanooga/Nashville.

215356_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

I'm doing my best to be to hurricanes as nedick is to the Russian collusion story (realizing most of you, sanely, never darken the door of the Tunnels).

Last edited:
Back