• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

Not trying to burst anyone’s bubble but Moore is Not a pedophile. He’s a guy who had the hotties for teens and took advantage of the vulnerable.

However, pedophilia is clearly defined here. Doesn’t make Moore any better. He’s a peeve who uses his power and position to take advantage of young teens, one 14 and the rest 16 and older.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...9ae238-cb21-11e7-aa96-54417592cf72_story.html

Well it's a good thing we are distinguishing between people who lust after and molest 14 years and people who lust after and molest 13 year olds.

I still don't understand why the Pubs didn't cut off Moore completely and organize a write-in campaign for someone else of their choosing. I suppose there was the chance of people not paying attention and splitting the vote, but with all the publicity this race has gotten, I feel like they could have gotten the message out to their base easily enough. This would have saved face for the party and still given them a similar chance of winning the seat.

Well it's a good thing we are distinguishing between people who lust after and molest 14 years and people who lust after and molest 13 year olds.

The ability to distinguish intricacies and nuances is a bedrock of the Republican Party.

I still don't understand why the Pubs didn't cut off Moore completely and organize a write-in campaign for someone else of their choosing. I suppose there was the chance of people not paying attention and splitting the vote, but with all the publicity this race has gotten, I feel like they could have gotten the message out to their base easily enough. This would have saved face for the party and still given them a similar chance of winning the seat.

Why go through all that work if you can just ignore the fact that the current option (alleged child molester and hebephile) has serious baggage and the Alabama electorate is too dumb to care anyway? You get your senator and don't have to do all that extra work.

Why go through all that work if you can just ignore the fact that the current option (alleged child molester and hebephile) has serious baggage and the Alabama electorate is too dumb to care anyway? You get your senator and don't have to do all that extra work.

But if Moore wins, it could further incense and embolden Dems in other states and could push even more Republicans away from the party. Maybe they feel like if they kick him out as soon as he is elected, they can declare how evil Moore is and what a good job they did getting rid of him at that point, but that will still likely have some backlash among the non-rubes still trying to stay loyal to the party. Not in Alabama, of course, but elsewhere. It just seems like there was a better way to handle this with little risk attached.

Also, "It just seems like there was a better way to handle this," is probably a pretty good recap for 2017.

Yeah I agree it's a tough spot for the GOP - they're just going to ignore it once Moore wins and hope it goes away (which it likely will in large part since there are so many scandals in the current 24/7 news cycle). They won't kick Moore out because that will just further sharpen the divide between "federal government is out of touch with what states want." If the GOP kicked Moore out, he'd run again and win again - probably by more.

But never without their moms' permission. Let's be fair.

The GOP needs Moore’s followers, and he won’t go down without a fight. They are stuck. Just like they were with Trump. They bristled up after the initial allegations thinking the rubes surely would support them. They underestimated the rubes.

Today's the day, board Pubs. Time to put that jewel on the crown. I believe in you!

But if Moore wins, it could further incense and embolden Dems in other states and could push even more Republicans away from the party. Maybe they feel like if they kick him out as soon as he is elected, they can declare how evil Moore is and what a good job they did getting rid of him at that point, but that will still likely have some backlash among the non-rubes still trying to stay loyal to the party. Not in Alabama, of course, but elsewhere. It just seems like there was a better way to handle this with little risk attached.

Also, "It just seems like there was a better way to handle this," is probably a pretty good recap for 2017.

Kicking him out is problematic. He could run again in the next special and win again, and you'd piss off the AL Pub party, not that that really matters. And exactly what are the grounds for expelling him? That he has allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior with teens from 30-40 years ago that he has denied? That he has defied federal court orders a couple of times? Man, that would be a bad precedent to set especially when there are likely to be more sexual assault allegations against more congressmen in the coming months. I think they're stuck with him if he wins.

I look forward to the “yay team!” Commentary from folks who would never admit to voting for Moore.

Arguably the worst issue substantively with Moore is that he's a terrible candidate absent the teen girls issue. I mean he's twice been kicked off the state Supreme Court for blatantly defying federal law.

A friend of mine posted this to Facebook, and I think it's a pretty good summation:

"I normally don't post about political issues because they tend to be divisive. However, I have seen too many people sticking their heads in the sand when it comes to Roy Moore. So here is what we know (just facts, no conjecture) about Moore:

Moore has been accused by nine women of behavior that ranges from inappropriate advances to sexual assault, stemming from his behavior towards teenagers when he was in his thirties.

Moore has not denied dating teenagers when he was in his thirties.

Former public officials have stated that he was notorious for his behavior in malls and around cheerleaders.

In his own words, Moore was first attracted to his wife when she was fifteen or sixteen years old, meaning he was around thirty at the time.

On multiple occasions while serving on the Alabama Supreme Court, Moore challenged laws that protect rape victims from inquiries into their sexual history (once involving a twelve year old).

From 2008 - 2013 Moore and his wife collected over $1 million from their charity.

Moore co-authored a course that argued that women should not hold political office (although he himself never said that).

Richard Shelby does not support Roy Moore.

Jeff Sessions believes Moore's accusers.

Moore has been removed from office twice for violating federal law.

UA Law professor Jenny Carroll on Moore's judicial track record, "Taken as a whole, Moore's decisions reveal a disturbing pattern, not because he favors one side over the other, but because he seems unable or unwilling to produce decisions that consistently conform with established legal norms. It's one thing to challenge a line of legal thinking by explaining its flaws or why it should not apply in a particular case, but Moore seems to disregard legal doctrine whenever it suits his particular sense of what 'ought to be done.' Such lawlessness from the bench both undermines the judiciary and disrupts the rule of law."

As an attorney I cannot vote for someone with such little respect for the law.

As a Christian I cannot vote for someone that will use my religion to spew hatred and bigotry on a national platform.

As a decent human being I cannot vote for someone who most likely preyed on teenagers when he was my current age.

I'm voting for the person, not the party. I'm voting for Doug Jones. And you should too.

PS: if you made it this far, thanks for reading."

Arguably the worst issue substantively with Moore is that he's a terrible candidate absent the teen girls issue. I mean he's twice been kicked off the state Supreme Court for blatantly defying federal law.

Yeah but in doing so he didn't violate God's law, which is the most important one

The GOP already poured a ton of resources into backing Luther Strange and to an extent Mo Brooks over Moore and all it did was embolden Moore. Following that up by backing some random write-in candidate would have been foolish. I'm sure they did their polling to show none of this would dissuade Moore voters.

I like how the Republican Party to counter the growing demographic divide that favors the democrats became so inclusive. Give us your molesters, your nazis, your huddled racists yearning to openly hate minorities. The Republican party, the party of everyone.

If Dems in all states would just get off their asses and vote in every election, we wouldn't have to continue to put up with all these shananigans. So many people I meet as a salesman in most of the southeast bitch about what's happening in Washington. When I ask who they voted for, so many say... well I didn't vote this time because I didn't like the candidates.

Back