• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

I am very glad that Doug Jones won, but this doesn't take away a lot of the problems that this country faces.

The tweet that Townie just posted is a lot of it---there is a party that feels like they can nominate somebody like that (because they can), and he would have won were it not for child molestation accusations by nearly 10 women, and that STILL almost wasn't enough for him to lose. Were it not for the African-American vote then this there would be an alleged hebephile heading to DC shortly.

What the hell is wrong with white people who still voted in overwhelming numbers for this guy?

The two folks who I engage with on Twitter who are "conservatives" said that voting in this special election was a "true moral dilemma" if you believe that abortion is murder. Of course one of them believed what Fox News/right wing media had said about Doug Jones "believing in full-term abortion" (which is obviously not true). I don't really even know how to engage in conversations like that, but there are a ton of uneducated and educated folks all over the country who still believe this stuff.

It's terrifying to me that the only thing that kept Moore out of the Senate was likely the child molestation accusations. This candidate was freaking endorsed by the POTUS AND the RNC. That's just downright scary.

Ask those conservatives how they feel about their party not funding CHIP.

What other states do you think somebody who runs on a platform like Roy Moore (sans the accusations) could win with that baggage/stances?

Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, West Virginia

Basically any supremely red state that doesn't have a lot of prominent urban centers.

I’m not going to jump on board with the theory that it’s a “hit job” to report inappropriate behavior from someone running for public office regardless of when it occurred - no matter how many times Fox News, breitbart, or republican posters on here claim otherwise

if you do some inappropriate behavior, it's safe to assume your opponents will find it and use it to defeat you. that's not a hit, that's politics

Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, West Virginia

Basically any supremely red state that doesn't have a lot of prominent urban centers.

I am relatively new to South Carolina, so I may be off on this, but I don't think Moore would have won in SC if he ran here under the same circumstances. Depends on who he is running against.

Also - the RNC's job is to get Republicans elected. He was the Republican candidate.

Plenty of situations where the RNC has pulled funding for reasons much less than child molestation. Hell, the RNC briefly pulled funds from Trump in certain areas after the Access Hollywood tape. The problem is, the RNC seemingly always comes back. Hard to claim moral superiority when you only pull funding from a candidate for a couple of weeks.

One consistent trend is that in high-turnout elections, democrats win. Its the reason that 'pubs jumped on the voter-id train after the 2008 election. Voter suppression, via bullshit laws or causing disillusionment in the electorate, is really the 'pubs best hope. And, as 2016 showed, it is a pretty good plan.

Agreed. Goes back to the old saying that Pubs fall in line and Dems have to fall in love. Dems fell in love with Obama but only tolerated Hillary while feeling that little bit of vomit in the backs of their throats. But there is something else at play here, and that's the visceral hatred of Trump - way more than Dems felt in 2008 about W. Trump is galvanizing and energizing Dems like no other Pub in history, save maybe a disgraced Nixon. Last night was not solely a repudiation of Moore due to his multitude of warts (and yes, I do believe the Pubs are better off not having Moore in the senate). But Trump had embraced Moore, and I also think it's a partial and continued repudiation of Trump, as were the VA results last month. In a truly purple state where Pubs held a 2-1 advantage in the house of delagates, Dems picked up at least 16 seats, and a milquetoast and not well known nominee, who didn't run a great campaign, cruised to victory. Trump is still mostly beloved by his base, but that's < 40% of the country, and he's pretty much reviled by the other 60%. This is why I believe it's stupid for Dems to be calling for impeachment or resignation. People just don't viscerally despise Pence in the same way. Let Trump continue to be Trump, and continue to hammer at him. Last night just put the senate in play for next year, and the house was already in play.

What other states do you think somebody who runs on a platform like Roy Moore (sans the accusations) could win with that baggage/stances?

MS, AR and maybe LA and OK - the monolithic and hardcore bible belt. Not in the mountain west or elsewhere.

The rubes didn’t “come through”. The rubes voted for this cat bigly or sat at home. They don’t get one fucking ounce of credit. Fuck those dipshit rubes. Black folks, specifically black women came through via their turnout to vote. And they didn’t just happen to turnout. Black folks worked their asses off to get out the vote. I love that the work of black women beat this bigoted sexist campaign despite the ignorant ass rubes and olds.

I haven‘t seen voting breakdown by demographic nor do I even know how the „rube“ demographic would be defined. White? You don‘t think it‘s possible that some „rubes“ broke rank and voted for Jones?

Obviously the black vote essential to this election outcome yesterday, but I'd like to give a shout out to at least one majority white county that has come a long way since 2016.

Obviously the black vote essential to this election outcome yesterday, but I'd like to give a shout out to at least one majority white county that has come a long way since 2016.

And now the Dems will go back to ignoring the black voters

I'm guessing Auburn students played a major role in that swing.

It's weird when party that antagonizes and marginalizes black voters derives some moral high ground from the other party ignoring black voters.

I haven‘t seen voting breakdown by demographic nor do I even know how the „rube“ demographic would be defined. White? You don‘t think it‘s possible that some „rubes“ broke rank and voted for Jones?

I'm sure some did.

How many would be enough for you to say that you feel good about the way things are headed?

Jones won by 1% over an accused hebephile, and most of that was due to black voters voting overwhelmingly (95%) for him.

What was the white voter breakdown? I would guess very much in favor of Moore still.

It's weird when party that antagonizes and marginalizes black voters derives some moral high ground from the other party ignoring black voters.

My reaction as well. College educated whites. Similar to what happened here in VA with the lily white DC, Richmond, and VA Beach exurbs and the Blacksburg area, which are normally pinkish-red.

I don’t know much about Moore other than when the allegations became
Headlines. I trust you on his record as a judge and the other offenses that should have disqualified him.

I’m not minimizing child molestation or any of that. I’m simply saying that you need to put yourself back in a place and time where certain behavior was not taken serious enough to be considered “criminal”.

Can you imagine a 30 something guy hanging around a mall today bothering girls in Sephora? Your 14 year old daughter going on a date with someone that age? Hell Nooooooooo! That’s what people were thinking in terms of today not when and where these things occurred. Or maybe he is a sexual predator. There’s got to be some recent hokey pokey out there. Men like like just don’t quit. They get worse. Just saying.

I wish someone could help me out here. You needed something moore (ha kidding) than his obvious record in a conservative or right wing state to get a dem elected. Because he’s a bigot racist and all the things you believe,and it still wasn’t enough to get him out, did this need to be brought up to put the icing on the cake? Was it all true or exaggerated?

We will never know. Thank God for sexting and emails. Could have saved a ton of money.

Moore without a doubt would have won were it not for the allegations.

Also, what Moore stands for isn't "conservative", it's just racist and extremist. That's not what I "believe", it's what he is based on what he has said and done.

I believe the nine women who accused him of harassment/molestation.

Well-stated.

Why do Republicans think that black voters vote en masse for Democrats consistently?

I am guessing that they would say that Democrats are more likely to vote for government assistance and welfare (insert typical racial stereotyping here from Pubs), but it obviously goes beyond that.

There were so many stories of voter suppression yesterday. And still black communities turned out to vote in huge numbers and waited in long lines. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund was on the ground helping people and has challenged Alabama's voter ID law. You can donate here:

NAACP Legal Defense

Other suggestions:

Back