• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Justin Gray ('06) Named Head Coach at Coastal Carolina

Didn’t someone on here say WCU had a strong shot to win the socon because the tournament was in Asheville? They lost their first game and were eliminated. Asheville didn’t help them
No one is winning the socon until wake hires away Bucky

Didn’t someone on here say WCU had a strong shot to win the socon because the tournament was in Asheville? They lost their first game and were eliminated. Asheville didn’t help them

When they advanced to the SoCon title game back in 2012 against Davidson, they bussed just about the whole damn campus over from Cullowhee. Davidson won in 2OT in what is still the loudest basketball game I have ever attended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some still believe you must go from 1 bid league to mid major before heading the p5.

If that old school path is still correct, Justin achieved all he could at WCU. Movin on up.

Wife and kids will appreciate the beach more than Cullowhee. For those that don’t know Justin well, he is a very loyal Demon Deacon. He enjoys a good spat with me on our arena and future. This is someone this group should really be pulling for.
Lol c'mon man.

But seriously, DR is the troll we need.

When they advanced to the SoCon title game back in 2012 against Davidson, they bussed just about the whole damn campus over from Cullowhee. Davidson won in 2OT in what is still the loudest basketball game I have ever attended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoooooooo, I was there, that game was crazy.

Good for Justin. He's paying his dues and working his way up nicely. Four to five years from now? Hmmm.

Interesting move in that the SOCON has been a higher rated basketball conference this past year and three of the past four years. With that said, over the years, Coastal has been a better program (4 NCAATs) than WCU (1 NCAAT), and would assume that Coastal is offering a hefty pay raise. All that said, not sure a Sun Belt basktball job is an easy entry to the Power Conferences. More Southern Conference coaches (Forbes, Young, Paris. Wes "The Greatest of All Time" Miller) have made that jump in recent years.

Some odd Sun Belt tidbits. University of Denver was a member of the Sun Belt conference from 2000 through 2012. New Mexico State, Texas Pan American, Arksansas-Little Rock and UT-Arlington are all former Sun Belt members.

Interesting move in that the SOCON has been a higher rated basketball conference this past year and three of the past four years. With that said, over the years, Coastal has been a better program (4 NCAATs) than WCU (1 NCAAT), and would assume that Coastal is offering a hefty pay raise. All that said, not sure a Sun Belt basktball job is an easy entry to the Power Conferences. More Southern Conference coaches (Forbes, Young, Paris. Wes "The Greatest of All Time" Miller) have made that jump in recent years.

Some odd Sun Belt tidbits. University of Denver was a member of the Sun Belt conference from 2000 through 2012. New Mexico State, Texas Pan American, Arksansas-Little Rock and UT-Arlington are all former Sun Belt members.
Would you rather recruit college basketball players to Myrtle Beach or Cullowhee?

I think the Socon is a better conference and this move (while you probably get a pay increase) is somewhat questionable.

I too think its easier to get to a power 5 job through Socon vs Sun Belt.

Be prepred for some nasty road trips as well Justin.

Happy for J Gray.

Was surprised at what seems a fairly lateral move on its face, but I could see a black family maybe feeling more at home at Coastal Carolina than in Cullowhee.

Big time happy for Gray! Have always been a huge fan…think I was at every one of his home games (when I had season tickets).

Happy for J Gray.

Was surprised at what seems a fairly lateral move on its face, but I could see a black family maybe feeling more at home at Coastal Carolina than in Cullowhee.

I assume that must be part of it. Plus Cullowhee is very rural. Like not shit there rural. I could be cool with that. Not sure everyone could / would be. Wish him all the best. He's one of my favorite Deacons

I think the SoCon is a much tougher conference than the Sun Belt, but that could work in his favor. Both are 1 bid leagues anyways, so you gotta win the tourney to go dancing, and Coastal could have the allure as a party/beach school to bring in recruits for a coach who knows how to market it. I'd say there is likely to be more outside recognition for a job well done at Coastal than at WCU as well, given Coastal's national prominence recently in basketball and baseball, it is just a bigger brand.

Back