• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

K Walker needs to get the most touches of our RBs...

I've noticed this to be true as well.

Still think we need to get Carney his share of touches but not commit to a back for an entire series. I'd like to see Carney and CBS in at the same time, while also getting KW his touches. Would be awesome to have a package of misdirection and counters, WR sweeps, HB screens...It seems clear we will not be able to run the RPO against Clemson successfully. Time to spread it out, get imaginative in the run game and throw in some trick plays.

I'm blown away we haven't pulled out the jet sweet or reverse pass this year with Hinton. There seems to be some "low hanging fruit" that we are missing. Are we saving it all for Clemson/FSU?

They've worked OK so far against inferior competition, but if we continue to run the same extreme delay zone reads/RPOs against Clemson and FSU, they'll get blown up time after time. It continues to amaze me that we don't have any quicker developing run plays, especially on short yardage. Hell, BC averaged 2 yards at least on QB sneaks, and Newman is much bigger/stronger than Brown. And Carney would be more effective, in my opinion, if he could get downhill.

Still feels damn good to be 5-0!

18th in passing. We don't suck at rushing at number 40. Trust the system. We have two weeks to add all kind of magic to the offense. Patience please.

Clawson & Co. apparently do not have adequate confidence in our OL or the blocking ability of our RBs to stray away from the RPO. I’m not expecting Clawson & Co. to get away from RPO at all. It’s obvious he is demanding the personnel to execute it better.

Doesn't the RPO make run blocking much harder for the OL? What am I missing there?

So, WF is 5-0.

The offense is first in the ACC in yards per game.

2nd in points per game.

Is coming off the two highest scoring seasons in school history, and looks like this year might even break those records.

All of this built on an RPO offense, and some want to change the RPO-based offense?

I could see the complaints about the offense pausing to make the run/pass election if it was failing, but by any measure the RPO offense is by far the most dynamic ever in school history.

Baffling take.

So, WF is 5-0.

2nd in points per game.

Is coming off the two highest scoring seasons in school history, and looks like this year might even break those records.

All of this built on an RPO offense, and some want to change the RPO-based offense?

I could see the complaints about the offense pausing to make the run/pass election if it was failing, but by any measure the RPO offense is by far the most dynamic ever in school history.

Baffling take.

The take isn't to change or abandon the offense. That would be idiotic. The take is to keep the defense more off guard with some creative, faster-developing run plays, jet sweeps, bubble screens, etc.

When you're 5-0 and as confident in our offensive talent as most are (I certainly am), it's impossible not to nitpick and want to get even more dynamic. That's what fans do. As much of a beast as he is running the ball, I also would like to keep Newman more upright.

So, WF is 5-0.

2nd in points per game.

Baffling take.

BC figured out the RPO by just crashing in. We are going to have to adjust.

So, WF is 5-0.

2nd in points per game.

Baffling take.

this is a very myopic view. We were outgained by almost 100 yards by BC, so those stats will quickly revert us to the mean if we continue the same without tweaking/adjusting as needed to take advantage of our talents and strengths. Not saying we go away from a very effective system, but that maybe just maybe 28 rushes and only 10 passes in 1st half wasn't limiting how we really should have abused the BC D a Kansas did so effectively by mixing in more pass.

All of the best coaches are tweaking things to always strive for better results and no doubt our O is capable of more even against tougher teams as the chance to pad our stats vs. the USU, Rice, and Elons are over.

Wake can likely counter the RPO blitz from the linebackers by throwing in some screen release valves and quick check slants to the vacated area 5-7 yards across the middle. I believe Clawson and Ruggiero will be able to make good adjustments this week. Bye comes at a great time - right after a team brings a strategy that threw a wrench in our core offense.

WF ran for 197 yards. Not sure if that is "figuring out" how to stop the RPO. Also, by committing to attempt to stop the RPO that left single coverage on WF's wideouts which didn't go too well for BC. With two weeks to prep before the next game, I'm sure WF will add some wrinkles (will be shocked if WF doesn't find a way for Hinton to throw the ball at some point), but the foundation of the RPO offense is not going to change. Nor should it.

the foundation of the RPO offense is not going to change. Nor should it.

Nor does anyone seem to be saying that it should.

Take what’s good and make it even better, to match the level of competition coming down the pike.

So, WF is 5-0.

2nd in points per game.

Baffling take.

against BC, it felt like any success came in spite of the RPO, when the offense was forced to open it up and throw it more

I went through the play-by-play just now and counted 24 instances of a run gaining two yards or fewer, which did not count sacks, and 13 times where there was a 3-yard rushing gain

that feels like a lot of weak plays for a good offense -- 3.6 ypc is not very good

of course I understand there is more to be considered -- resting the D, setting certain plays up, etc. -- but it is a little uninspiring to watch Cade crash into the line for a 1-yard pickup over and over

Last edited:
So many hot takes on this and the BC game thread from our many "experts." We have some great coaches who have earned our confidence. It can be disheartening how some folks have little clue of how coaches have to see the season's and game's big picture and what truly are the aspects of a player's value that shows different from from play to play. In Claw we trust. Enjoy the bye week.

The delayed two line backer crisscross blitz gave the Wake blocking some difficulties. May need to adjust the blocking or reads or pass routes to account for that defense.

against BC, it felt like any success came in spite of the RPO, when the offense was forced to open it up and throw it more

I went through the play-by-play just now and counted 24 instances of a run gaining two yards or fewer, which did not count sacks, and 13 times where there was a 3-yard rushing gain

that feels like a lot of weak plays for a good offense -- 3.6 ypc is not very good

of course I understand there is more to be considered -- resting the D, setting certain plays up, etc. -- but it is a little uninspiring to watch Cade crash into the line for a 1-yard pickup over and over

It might help if you have a guy who is averaging 10 ypc. Wait, we do, but he didn't get the ball.

3.6 yoc is a first down and td every possession

Sure if you pick up 7.2 yards after every carry for no gain.

The take isn't to change or abandon the offense. That would be idiotic. The take is to keep the defense more off guard with some creative, faster-developing run plays, jet sweeps, bubble screens, etc.

When you're 5-0 and as confident in our offensive talent as most are (I certainly am), it's impossible not to nitpick and want to get even more dynamic. That's what fans do. As much of a beast as he is running the ball, I also would like to keep Newman more upright.

That’s the key: Newman will get injured if asked to run the ball 20+ times again. Every time he ran on Saturday, I cringed, even though the designed QB runs were effective.

That’s the key: Newman will get injured if asked to run the ball 20+ times again. Every time he ran on Saturday, I cringed, even though the designed QB runs were effective.

We have capable backs. I don't think Newman needs to run 20 times/game. Wake has shown it will run the QB, so the D will have to honor that possibility. But he needs to hand off or throw more often.

Back