• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KanhojiAngre's Playground

There's no question KA would be here ripping us anyway if we invited UConn instead

It would be almost as hypocritical given UConn basketball's APR struggles, and they'd still be missing the top football draw in the NYC metro (whether you call it Rutgers, Notre Dame or Penn State, it's certainly not UConn). Maybe UConn hoops can clean up its act and still be a top program, but that's not a sure thing right now.

I'm a little unclear why the ACC felt like they needed to panic buy anyone. Gonna be funny when Maryland points to Louisville and says "there's no damages here...you lined up our replacement in less than a month. No one hurt." Fact is there's not that much within the ACC's reach that really adds value. It could be that Louisville makes the ACC better in football, but all that would show is how bad the ACC really is in football, since Louisville hasn't gotten the Big East's BCS bid since I'm sure everyone remembers when, and that's the only one they've gotten.

As mentioned in various other threads. The Big 12 is absolutely dependent on Texas and to a lesser extent OU. Both have talked to the Pac 12 last year. I have no idea how likely it is that Texas and/or OU bolt, but it is more likely than UNC and Duke. Maybe Florida State and Clemson are as likely to bolt as Texas and OU but those two while not replaceable are not the death blow losing OU and/or Texas would be.

The truth is that West Virginia has to hang their major conference hat on Texas and OU. They don't control their own destiny so to speak.

Unless the ACC stops at 14, 15 with Notre Dame and all this plays out before we add #16. If the ACC is going to add Louisville, there is no reason to decline West Virginia based on academics. I would love West Virginia in the ACC. Hoops would be brutal though. You could lose 10 games in the ACC and be a very good team.

As mentioned in various other threads. The Big 12 is absolutely dependent on Texas and to a lesser extent OU. Both have talked to the Pac 12 last year. I have no idea how likely it is that Texas and/or OU bolt, but it is more likely than UNC and Duke. Maybe Florida State and Clemson are as likely to bolt as Texas and OU but those two while not replaceable are not the death blow losing OU and/or Texas would be.

The truth is that West Virginia has to hang their major conference hat on Texas and OU. They don't control their own destiny so to speak.

Unless the ACC stops at 14, 15 with Notre Dame and all this plays out before we add #16. If the ACC is going to add Louisville, there is no reason to decline West Virginia based on academics. I would love West Virginia in the ACC. Hoops would be brutal though. You could lose 10 games in the ACC and be a very good team.

By this logic, only about 15 schools truly control their destiny, and many of those are in the SEC. The rest are subject to the whims of the superpowers.

The Big 12 is not going to lose anyone in the next decade. That you can just about take to the bank. There's no sense in it at all...if a school leaves, the conference retains their media rights! So what's the point? Besides, the money is such that no one has any real motivation to leave anyway. The likelihood that the Big 12 is intact through the end of the initial bowl playoff contract is extremely high. The only forseeable gamechanger would be if Notre Dame joins the Big 10, which doesn't seem likely especially since they've latched onto a new host.

We'll see. Texas A&M and Mizzou just left. Texas and OU separately talked to both the ACC and Pac-12 a year ago, so not sure how I can take 10 years to the bank. If you can stabilize a conference in one year - in this environment, then well well done. I just don't see it.

We'll see. Texas A&M and Mizzou just left. Texas and OU separately talked to both the ACC and Pac-12 a year ago, so not sure how I can take 10 years to the bank. If you can stabilize a conference in one year - in this environment, then well well done. I just don't see it.

I agree: Well, well done indeed, and it was adding West Virginia that much to do with it being "done". Well, and the astute hire of Bob Bowlsby as league commissioner.

Much has changed in the last 14 months. Texas and Oklahoma shrugged off the Pac-12 in September 2011. The Big 12 announced West Virginia's addition on October 28. TCU had joined a little over 2 weeks prior.

Since then, there's been a 13 year Grant of Rights agreed between the schools in association with a lucrative new media deal. The GOR gives the conference athletic media rights for the schools in the GOR (all of them) even if they leave the conference. In short, there is no benefit to poaching a Big 12 member, or to one leaving the conference voluntarily, during the period of the GOR.

The Pac-12 and Big 10 have a GOR of similar length. The ACC does not, and the SEC does not. The SEC also has no exit fee, as it is confident that no one wants to leave the conference, whereas the ACC is attempting to katy bar the door with a punitive fee on the order of ~50M, presumably because there are members that do not want to enter into a GOR. From this, it is clear which conference is the least stable of the 5, and it will be very interesting to see if Maryland is able to negotiate or win a judgment for a reduced exit fee.

The Big 12 media deal is comparable to that of the Pac-12 on a per-school basis; there's no longer a reason for Big 12 member to be nervous about its future on that front. The GOR was less about binding the schools, and more about demonstrating stability to the networks -- indeed, decisively defeating exactly the kind of doubt your post contains.

Hopefully you now understand how stabilizing a conference in a year's time is not only possible, but has taken place.

West Virginia is the Katniss Everdeen of college football. Discuss.

Not surprising. Perhaps I should post it on a message board frequented by people who follow a legitimate Division I athletics program.

The why are you here "dude when no one gives a shit about your presence. You spread your propaganda hoping that it hurts the ACC because you are butt hurt that you are not in the ACC. There is ways out of the GOR and when the Pac 12 comes calling you will see.

The why are you here "dude when no one gives a shit about your presence. You spread your propaganda hoping that it hurts the ACC because you are butt hurt that you are not in the ACC. There is ways out of the GOR and when the Pac 12 comes calling you will see.

Oh look it's the "you're just jealous" gambit. Problem is it makes no sense. Let me spell it out for you in big letters so you don't miss it: THE BIG 12 IS A SUPERIOR LEAGUE. Why would WVU be jealous? It makes no sense. And with Maryland leaving and Louisville coming, it makes even less sense.

I guess you know more than Bob Bowlsby. Yeah there's a way out of the GOR...pay for 13 years worth of media contracts...that or leave and let the Big 12 keep all your media rights. If you think those are serious options, you are even more stupid than I thought -- and I think you're pretty stupid.

Here's what you don't get: the GOR isn't to keep schools in the league; it was an insurance policy for the networks in negotiating TV deals. It really isn't even that necessary now; just was useful in negotiations. Pre-GOR, pre-WVU, the Pac-12 STILL failed to get Texas to leave the Big 12. Why in the hell would Texas go now that the league is much stronger, has a very competitive TV package (especially once they add the new bowl with the SEC), and a very competitive 10 team league where everyone plays everyone else and the best record is the champion? It's a shame it's the only major league like that -- not sure what a championship game says if a sad sack team like Georgia Tech gets to be in one. Could say the same for Wisconsin this year.

But then, I wouldn't expect much understanding of big-boy college sports from a moron from a message board for a school that should be I-AA. Wake Forest is the laughingstock of major college athletics. How many schools haven't won a bowl game, gone to the NCAA tournament, or finished a football or men's basketball season with a winning record in the last 3 years (I presume Wake basketball isn't making it over .500)? That's shitty. Really shitty.

Anyone know anything about this Kevin Jones guy from DC that's saying GT and Virginia are good as gone? He better hope he's right for the sake of his career.

Just so you know, KA, I don't wonder why people think I'm an asshole.

At all.

And yet you continue to be one. That kinda seems worse. But whatever. About to watch some American throwball. Don't really care.

Dude, you ever heard of proof reading???

You act like you aren't an asshole and that is what makes you crazy, slick.

Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.

One thing's for sure...I don't go around calling people names like "Slick". And if there's one thing I'm pretty sure everyone I know would say I'm not, it's slick. And don't want to be.

See ya in the funny papers.

Oh look it's the "you're just jealous" gambit. Problem is it makes no sense. Let me spell it out for you in big letters so you don't miss it: THE BIG 12 IS A SUPERIOR LEAGUE. Why would WVU be jealous? It makes no sense. And with Maryland leaving and Louisville coming, it makes even less sense.

I guess you know more than Bob Bowlsby. Yeah there's a way out of the GOR...pay for 13 years worth of media contracts...that or leave and let the Big 12 keep all your media rights. If you think those are serious options, you are even more stupid than I thought -- and I think you're pretty stupid.

Here's what you don't get: the GOR isn't to keep schools in the league; it was an insurance policy for the networks in negotiating TV deals. It really isn't even that necessary now; just was useful in negotiations. Pre-GOR, pre-WVU, the Pac-12 STILL failed to get Texas to leave the Big 12. Why in the hell would Texas go now that the league is much stronger, has a very competitive TV package (especially once they add the new bowl with the SEC), and a very competitive 10 team league where everyone plays everyone else and the best record is the champion? It's a shame it's the only major league like that -- not sure what a championship game says if a sad sack team like Georgia Tech gets to be in one. Could say the same for Wisconsin this year.

But then, I wouldn't expect much understanding of big-boy college sports from a moron from a message board for a school that should be I-AA. Wake Forest is the laughingstock of major college athletics. How many schools haven't won a bowl game, gone to the NCAA tournament, or finished a football or men's basketball season with a winning record in the last 3 years (I presume Wake basketball isn't making it over .500)? That's shitty. Really shitty.

Every athletic program has issues has some point or another. Our basketball program hasn't recovered from our coach dying sorry about that. And our football team has been plagued with potheads, injuries, and transfers otherwise I think we would have been better the last two years.

Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.

One thing's for sure...I don't go around calling people names like "Slick". And if there's one thing I'm pretty sure everyone I know would say I'm not, it's slick. And don't want to be.

See ya in the funny papers.

no. you are always an asshole. there are plenty of other assholes on this board, but none of us are so bad that we are restricted to a single thread.

you understand this, right?

Back