• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KanhojiAngre's Playground

So what's your problem...I disagree with them too. You're the one that brought them up. Why the hell did you do that if you don't even believe them.

Man, I want to negotiate against you someday.

"Based on the previous arguments which I myself do not believe, I think we merit another 10%."

"Well, if you don't believe them and you brought them forth, why should I care about them?"

Between this and Caturday there's been a lot of embarrassing anger on the boards in the last several days.

What a shock, DV doesn't think Kyle Beckerman was any good.

He doesn't understand Joe Allen's value either. Guess for him if it doesn't show up in a stat, it didn't really happen.

Is he really Damien Comolli? That would explain a lot of things.

Is it just me or has RJ Karl gotten more stupid since I was on the board last? Holy shit some of the stuff I've read from him lately sounds like it was the result of chimps typing random keys until English words result. Between soccer, his stupid Sixers theories, and inviting someone to kill themselves...holy shit.

Y'all should confine him to his own thread and only let him out for Triple Crown season.

Lot of interesting questions on the Group G thread about the future of soccer in the US. Only some of them getting answered.

Soccer is basically a regional sport in terms of national team player development, and to some extent fan interest (though less so lately it appears). Northeast, Florida, Texas, Pacific, (and Europe, half a dozen or so MNT players were effectively developed there) covers the strong majority of USMNT hometowns. This is similar to hockey in the north and northeast, only soccer's strongholds are more fortunately located from a demographic perspective.

Despite this, soccer is still less popular than hockey (similar per game attendance thanks largely to Seattle, but in many less home dates). So how does that change?

For this I look back to the NBA in the 70s. It was largely looked down upon as inferior to college ball, and rose hand-in-hand with the rise of hip-hop culture in the US starting in the 80s. It could be argued that the racial makeups of the Celtics vs. Lakers played a particular role in drawing attention given what was happening in the culture at large. As hiphop culture became more accepted and mainstream, the NBA also grew in popularity.

Soccer is positioned to benefit from the likely next broad cultural shift, in concert with the increase in both number and 2nd/3rd/4th generation (and more) ethnic Latinos that are US citizens. If the concussion issue in the NFL continues to mushroom, that will play in as well (unless soccer ends up being caught up in it as well).

So going back to "what comes before" the rise of soccer, it's more viewership both of European and domestic games that will drive the money to the domestic league to bring in better talent and interest young players in taking the game seriously rather than playing it as a kid and then deciding to specialize somewhere else. The money is there worldwide, but kids here haven't been seeing it because, and this may comes as a real shock, most Americans don't really care much about what's happening outside the US. That's changing though and will continue to do so.

America's advantages are obviously population, a reasonably well-off lower class (compared to many soccer playing areas, even most poor can afford to play in a city youth league and won't be shut out of opportunities), an established market for sports entertainment, and a tradition of excellence in many other areas of athletics. There's an expectation to be good on a national level. And over African countries that have the same issue of having great athletes but struggling to develop great national teams, the US can more easily build out a support infrastructure if/when it becomes necessary. We can build facilities, we can pay good coaches.

As far as the "well Lebron James could have been a soccer star" argument...yeah probably not, but that doesn't change the need for the talent pool for soccer to increase and to include more athletes that could have chosen to be, say, a running back on a football team or a point guard in basketball. Imagine if guys like Darren Sproles or CJ Spiller had soccer balls in their cribs? Given enough of them, development would be inevitable.

The outer limits for height right now in soccer for non-goalkeepers appears to be in the 6-4 range for the best tall defenders and strikers with a few exceptions among central defenders. But Yaya Toure, Edin Dzeko, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, and a few others are 6-3/6-4 and quality players. For players tasked with much more ball advancement, ball control or ball distribution responsibilities, it's more like 6-1 or so -- Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Javier Pastore, Gareth Bale are all in that neighborhood. So until proven otherwise, it's hard to consider those ceilings random.

9 paragraphs on USA soccer and that's what brings a reply...sad.

Well if you really must know what I think of it...

We'll see what happens and what comes of it. Didn't really affect the way the match was played, which was largely terrible.

Still don't think it's as dangerous as many actions that are seemingly accepted in the game -- leg breaking challenges, flying elbows, etc. I'd like to see those met with calls for lengthy bans rather than nostalgia. Both should be punished.

If he did do it and if he's banned, it's not like Liverpool hasn't had success without him before. It's unfortunate because of the progress that had been made.

progress? as in he hasnt bit anyone in the last 12 months?

progress? as in he hasnt bit anyone in the last 12 months?

Guessing you don't follow the Premier League much. There had been a lot of talk about how he had been diving less, complaining to the officials less (this is soccer, so take a relative view, everyone complains to the officials), etc.

Well if you really must know what I think of it...

We'll see what happens and what comes of it. Didn't really affect the way the match was played, which was largely terrible.

Still don't think it's as dangerous as many actions that are seemingly accepted in the game -- leg breaking challenges, flying elbows, etc. I'd like to see those met with calls for lengthy bans rather than nostalgia. Both should be punished.

If he did do it and if he's banned, it's not like Liverpool hasn't had success without him before. It's unfortunate because of the progress that had been made.
LOLOLOL

Guessing you don't follow the Premier League much. There had been a lot of talk about how he had been diving less, complaining to the officials less (this is soccer, so take a relative view, everyone complains to the officials), etc.

Yeah, and all that was bullshit.

Luis Suarez is a mentally challenged person. He has bitten a fellow player on three separate occasions. There is something terribly wrong with that man's brain.

HE FUCKING BIT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING

There have been top level players in the English leg that intentionally broke a player's leg, effectively ending their career. There have been players that kicked fans, assaulted referees, spat at fans (that one was a Liverpool player who was not punished severely enough IMO).

Which do you think is worse? I know my answer.

If you're going to go apoplectic and call for worldwide bans for one, you should do for all the other more dangerous actions as well.

and yours if your first post about it is how it affects liverpool

Because people on the board are going silly and calling for worldwide bans because they think it'll hurt Liverpool and help their club even though players from their club have most likely done worse in the past. The only things that have gotten worldwide bans that I can find in the first 25 pages of a google search for "FIFA worldwide ban" are match fixing, doping, and Luisao's contact with a match official. So if anyone is speaking out of self interest, it's the people that are calling for 12 month worldwide bans and other such craziness.

It's terrible for Liverpool. That should be obvious; surprised it even needs to be said. They were set to either reap a record transfer fee (or fee plus player) or have a returning player on top of the world for having vindicated himself and possibly being considered the best player in the world after the tournament ended. Assuming the speculation is true, likely none of that happens. All I was saying was even if the knee-jerkers won out and he was banned, they still might not get what they want.

RAWK has about 5% very insightful people, and 95% complete morons.

I don't give a fuck what club he plays for. He has bitten a fellow professional on 3 separate occasions now. That deserves a worldwide ban of at least 6 months.

I've done no such thing. I've not at any point said that biting another player is right.

No, you've basically just said, "yeah, sure, I admit that biting my wife was wrong, but it's not like a broke her bones or anything, your Honor. I think this case should be thrown out."

Luis Suarez is a mentally challenged person.

There is something terribly wrong with that man's brain.

These are not synonyms. You know that, right? People can have psychological problems and not "mentally challenged" by the politically correct term.

I'm not someone trained to make such judgments, so I'm not going to try. But I wanted to make sure you're not unintentionally using those terms interchangeably, because it's those kind of misunderstandings that lead to the stigma against people seeking psych care.

No, you've basically just said, "yeah, sure, I admit that biting my wife was wrong, but it's not like a broke her bones or anything, your Honor. I think this case should be thrown out."

No, I haven't said that. I haven't said anything about throwing out any case.

There's also a difference in the game, right or wrong, in punishments between incidents between players and incidents involving people other than players -- like fans or officials. So your analogy falls short there as well.

I don't follow clubs and give zero shits about liverpool and think he should be banned for an extended period of time. You can't just go around biting people, your defense of him is as fucking ridiculous as your horned rim glasses.

Back