• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KanhojiAngre's Playground

I thought it was poor goalkeeping by Joe Hart, honestly. He stays big and doesn't go to ground so early and the ball smacks him in the chest.

But you expect Suarez to finish that and he did. Maybe he knew what Hart was going to do from domestic play, maybe he saw something that told him. I don't know, I'm not a goal scoring machine like he is. All I knew is that he was going to score if he got the shot off clean. Spent the whole game hoping not to see his knee give. Obvious what he means to their hopes.

That song isn't about Hillsborough, numbnuts.

That song didn't even start until the Suarez/Evra racism affair. You know, the one where Liverpool pretended like their player that racially abused another player was somehow the victim??

I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

You're a complete moron (period, but I'll go on) if you think that Hillsborough isn't in the equation of the "always" to which Man U fans were referring when they came up with that.

But today isn't about that. Today is about Suarez sticking it in the face of every fan of a rival English club that has wished him gone, injured, dead, or worse, transferred :) and the FA that screwed him over on the word of one witness of very shaky repute.

It's also about you looking like the complete dick you are wishing him to be injured and being so, so very wrong about him being done after 45.

And finally, it's about Man U players and their near uselessness over two games have England where they are.

Today is also about a celebration of the the depth of talent at Liverpool and the amount of it on display in this very competitive and entertaining game.

Sixth and lastly, it's about Roy Hodgson being a complete idiot. A competent coach wouldn't have put Gerrard and Rooney in the same midfield triangle against teams like Italy and Uruguay. That's just dumb. Playing defenders too deep hurt against Italy, but Woy does woy things. Thank God that Red nightmare was ended quickly. Kenny made his mistakes, but he restored believe and the culture of the club and it's hard to imagine Rodgers having as smooth a transition without him (or possibly coming at all).

2 United players started both games. 1 goal and 1 assist from one of them, but I agree that Welbeck has been poor.

4 Liverpool players started both games. 1 goals and 1 assist from that quartet and then two instances of the midfield duo getting outplayed thoroughly once and being bang on average vs URU. If you think Rooney was in a midfield triangle in both those games then your understanding of tactics is sorely lacking. 1) he played on the left vs Italy. 2) he was so far forward vs Uruguay that was a straight up 4-2-3-1.

Suarez was impressive. I didn't think there was a chance a guy 2-3 weeks removed from a knee injury like he was could last long. He is a warrior and proved me wrong. I didn't wish him to be injured, I said that an England player should tackle him hard. Not dirty. Hard.

That match was pretty shit, quality wise -- entertaining from a drama POV, but the quality was lacking (Uruguay only completed 63% of their passes, for instance). Rooney and Suarez were clearly the best players on the pitch; with Cavani and Cahill also doing decently well. The rest of the players out there were average or below. (and again, Welbeck, who I love, was awful.)

No arguments from me about Woy being terrible.

The chant didn't start until the Suarez/Evra affair. That is a fact.

Oh what the hell one more for the road before I hit the pool...if we're going to make an actual effort at real discussion...

Rooney was poor too. His assist in the first game was fairly routine (I mean he did the job, but not a difficult ball to play) after a great ball from Sterling that led him into the position, and of course Sturridge could hardly have missed from there. Rooney should have had a hat trick against Uruguay with even mundane finishing (honestly, two truly shocking failures to score), and much like Sterling with the Italy goal, Sturridge did the work with a great move and pass to set up the cross, which Johnson put through the defender's legs.

More to the point, Rooney did a poor job in his other responsibilities as a midfielder in both games. He didn't track back on the second half goal Italy scored and the combination of a deep centerback pairing and Baines just getting beaten did the hard work. That's partly on Roy...I can only assume Roy thought Rooney couldn't be dropped, but he really just didn't fit. I think you could have had a more solid midfield with Barkley and/or Lallana and I actually think James Milner could have been a good fit esp. against Uruguay. With that you'd be counting on the fullbacks to create offense along with Sterling but they were doing that anyway.

Sterling, who did most of the work in putting Rooney in to create one, and Johnson and Sturridge combined to create the other in full. Henderson and Gerrard weren't really given the job of creating goals, though Henderson put a scorcher on goal early against Italy, forcing a strong save. Playing a midfield "duo" against Uruguay was stupid anyway, as mentioned. There's a reason LFC always had at least a 3 man central midfield in almost every game, 4 if you count Sterling in the diamond in some. The diamond might not have been a bad call -- could keep Rooney in the XI as a striker, play Barkley left (supposedly he's as good with left as his right), Henderson right and Sterling at the head with Gerrard as the steering wheel type.

But the worst performing unit of all for England IMO was the centerback pairing and you can probably include Hart in that mess too. He looked like he was bricking it early and when it came time to make the big save, he didn't. But you can't let him of all people go right between and behind the central defenders. Jagielka just not good enough. They may basically need a whole new back four by Euro 2016. Cahill will probably still be all right, but the others will be 31-33 years old. Rooney will be almost 31...they're a team in transition and god help them if Woy is the one leading it (but he won't be).

If Suarez had done what I think he did, I don't think 2-3 weeks is a real surprise. You can have a partial removal and be back in about that time. It's if they actually repair what's there that takes a lot longer. Most impressive was that he had the fitness...or maybe just gutted it out. We'll probably know tomorrow or the next day how far along he really was -- or at least URU will, maybe the media won't.

What you mention about Uruguay's passing is why I'm not so convinced that England's midfield really got beat that bad considering there were only two of them in the middle most of the time. But URU is going to basically be about how many chances they can get for Cav and Suarez and if that means bypassing the midfield ASAP and playing lower risk balls then whatever. Doesn't look like Forlan is going to play much of a role.

I think there should be a KA vs. DV7 only thread where no one else can post...or maybe y'all should just go ahead and get a room :p

In case anyone doubted me...Suarez's post-game interview with subtitles. Straight in the face of the FA and their accomplices in the British media. I guess Mary has a sense of karmic justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97-ux5fLEsM"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97-ux5fLEsM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

And what does that classy Murdoch publication that shall not be named do with the result?

S*n headline:
It had to be chew

Tits is what they are and the only thing that's their paper's any good for. Complete trash.

(Oh FFS...I'll try it one more time and if it doesn't work, just look it up. It's 13 seconds of Suarez saying he prayed for this because of all the criticism he's gotten in England, so "there you go.")

In case anyone doubted me...Suarez's post-game interview with subtitles. Straight in the face of the FA and their accomplices in the British media. I guess Mary has a sense of karmic justice.

And what does that classy Murdoch publication that shall not be named do with the result?

S*n headline:
It had to be chew

Tits is what they are and the only thing that's their paper's any good for. Complete trash.

LOL this is so awesome for him I'm sure.

"Before the game too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years. This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27930311

You might wonder what his Liverpool teammates think of it but I think they understand. Fortunately none of the guys he directly victimized -- the center backs and Hart -- are Liverpool players.

Nobody has ever questioned Suarez's work ethic on the pitch. It's that whole "racially abusing and biting opponents" thing that people have had a problem with, it cannot be this hard to understand...

x3sFBiG.jpg

You might wonder what his Liverpool teammates think of it but I think they understand. Fortunately none of the guys he directly victimized -- the center backs and Hart -- are Liverpool players.

Ummmm... it was Gerrard's awful backwards header that put Suarez through! I'd say he was directly victimized on that winning goal by Suarez.

Henderson was so, so bad.

Speculation from LFC fans is that he was instructed to stay back next to Gerrard which isn't a good role for him. His value is in the work he's willing to put in all over the pitch, and his increasing ability to move the attack forward. He wasn't really asked to do either one. Another case where Woy relied way too much on Rooney when he didn't fit.

Not the Liverpool's players' fault. Rooney's fault. Hodgson's fault.

You spoke on the last page about wanting to have a honest discussion, but it is clear that you only want to praise Liverpool players, ignoring where they failed, and throw the blame on everyone else. Just utterly pointless to look at football like that, IMO.

Rooney was England's best player yesterday, and by some distance.

Last edited:
Speculation from LFC fans is that he was instructed to stay back next to Gerrard which isn't a good role for him. His value is in the work he's willing to put in all over the pitch, and his increasing ability to move the attack forward. He wasn't really asked to do either one. Another case where Woy relied way too much on Rooney when he didn't fit.

I would have liked to see him in Welbeck's spot and put Wilshere in at Henderson's spot

Back