• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Karl Hess

Herein an OWG laments the end of the good ol' days.

God Kent fucking nailed it. Hardin wrote that article because of the access he had with Karl. Great, great comment by Kent. Not shocking that Hardin wrote this, media has always been a child suckling at the teet of the athletes.

The article photo of Hess slapping hands with Ish Smith is a great companion for the tenor of the piece, too

Disappointed that Shah hasn't said anything else. Would be nice to know his thoughts beyond "#wow"

I'm curious what he has to say but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter for this issue IMO. The issue wasn't with the back and forth, the issue was regardless of what Shah said an ACC ref can't respond with what Hess said.

Well, if it is okay with you, I would like to have my own opinion. And in my opinion, this was a petty and unnecessary move on Mit's part. Is ruining Karl Hess's life----actually ruining the only thing this guy probably enjoys over a friggin joke, tasteless as it may be----a worthy expenditure of calories on Mit's part? Six weeks from now (and who knows how many increments of Karl's net worth from now), do you really think Mit cares? I would seriously hope not.

I hope Hess gets a participation trophy, at least!

Ruin his life? Jesus Christ. So overly dramatic.

Disappointed that Shah hasn't said anything else. Would be nice to know his thoughts beyond "#wow"

What's he gonna say? He says he was offended by Hess, the Good Ole Boy Club stops golfing with him for a month. He says it's all good and just jokes, he's labeled a back-tracker and provocateur, something the Good Ole Boy Club HATES, because god bless the status quo. It's a lose-lose for Shah. Poor bro was probably already subjected to a "class" by our esteemed AD on social media etiquette. That's more than enough for any soul, IMO, for simply relaying an interaction on the dreaded social media machine.

Last edited:
Well there you have it guys, a "friggin joke." Nothing to see here let's all move on this was just the good ol boys club so total impunity applies.

Comedians get to make racially insensitive jokes.

Referees do not get to make racially insensitive jokes.

This should not be hard to understand.

Comedians get to make racially insensitive jokes.

Referees do not get to make racially insensitive jokes.

This should not be hard to understand.

BUT WHY IS CHRIS ROCK ALLOWED TO MAKE RACE JOKES DV7???? IF HE WAS WHITE THIS WOULD BE A MUTINY!11

But THE WAY IT WAS, dv7. It was so much better BACK THEN.

BUT WHY IS CHRIS ROCK ALLOWED TO MAKE RACE JOKES DV7???? IF HE WAS WHITE THIS WOULD BE A MUTINY!11

o-LOUIS-CK-facebook.jpg

What's he gonna say? He says he was offended by Hess, the Good Ole Boy Club stops golfing with him for a month. He says it's all good and just jokes, he's labeled a back-tracker and provocateur, something the Good Ole Boy Club HATES, because god bless the status quo. It's a lose-lose for Shah. Poor bro was probably already subjected to a "class" by our esteemed AD on social media etiquette. That's more than enough for any soul, IMO, for simply relaying an interaction on the dreaded social media machine.

Something more than a one word statement with a hashtag.

Suspend Hess to make a point and teach him a lesson? Sure. FIRE the man? That's cowardly, give-in-to-the-PC-hypocrites bullshit. We're all human. We all make mistakes. You can convey a message without executing a Death Penalty. #smh for the Nanny State

private organization terminates employee for reasons of it's own choosing #nannystate

YES! I told my gf yesterday the only thing this story was missing on the boards was a reference to PC gone amok. I'm scoring so many points on this thread right now.

I bet stories of your internet points drive her wild. I bet she's all like, #wow

Last edited:
Reactions: ITK
There is a small, ever so small (and slightly inebriated) part of me that agrees with your line of thought.

But roll with me for a sec, J. Mit is acting like a fan. Karl responds. A bit of back and forth ensues. Karl goes bigot. Now, you can't deny that his comment was from an innermost place he wishes he could keep suppressed other than when he's enjoying a cocktail with donaldross. Ugly whites only country club kind of shit. You can't go race/skin color/background/whatever the fuck Karl was doing with someone you don't know. You just can't.

Karl Hess is not worthy of your defense, J. He's an egotistical blowhard who said yet another wrong thing, this time to an influential individual.

In vino veritas. I'll accept your gracious invitation to roll. Let's discuss Wake Forest athletics, freely.

I won't defend the substance of what Hess said or did. That's why I haven't. (to the general audience, not the replied to poster...) Kindly keep that knee-jerk-apology-that-wasn't out of my mouth. The very first thing I said remains true: Hess gets what Hess gets; no one to blame but himself.

Anybody can defend innocent, sympathetic people. Nice par, Dave. But to answer the highest calling of my low profession, I'll take up the case of Karl Hess, not for what he did, but for how his adjective felony was handled. Even egotistical blowhards get a defense in our system. It's what separates us from the Canadians.

Let's say there are places on Earth where people get their jollies calling each other ugly names. Sometimes the pugilists are second graders at the playground behind their elementary schools, sometimes the pugilists are undertasked middle managers, accountants who work six weeks a year and swear it's like childbirth, overpaid lawyers whose staffs do all the real work, sociology professors, second year law students (hell, everybody's #undefeated until they start keeping score, guys. Full disclosure: can't stop chuckling about your internet points), OWGs (What do you know? OWG is an ethnic stereotype; the voter fraud of OGB) with dial-up and/or any other flora and fauna of our beloved menagerie of dwarves, gingers, millenials [feel free to add your favorite name-calling greatest hit to my non-exhaustive list of the things we all just swore we were above calling each other, that happen hourly here]* on an off-brand message boards and, yes, I've even heard the occasional onlooker at an ACC sporting event let their emotions get the best of them and say something that they later regret saying. One time I heard a guy second-guess Wojo's choice of necktie, or perhaps implored him to commit a physically impossible act upon his own corpus. I can't remember which. But yes, let's all judge each other by our weakest moments at sporting events. Who's next?

I don't agree with what Karl said, but just imagine he said it here on this very message board, instead of at an ACC game. What are the rules for such things in these hallowed halls? Read something you didn't like? Go to that person's real world employer for your pound of flesh, but be sure to leave out your half of the exchange? If the Complaining Tweeter had read it on this very message board and taken it back---as the circuitous route seems to have quite successfully done (either by design or happenstance)---to Karl's real world employer, how would that be viewed in these parts? I get that it's a different context (we've moved all the way from a two party conversation during a life-or-death regular season basketball game by a team that lost to Delaware State to a serious-bidness internet message board, albeit a sadly more public venue than a Wake home game; thanks again [name redacted]), but a small time move is still a small time move. The Complaining Tweeter has every right to complain. Six weeks from now (one of my favorite tests in life), does he really still care?

Am I going to miss King Karl? Not one bit. But I'm starting to miss the times when people didn't mistake their internet points for perspective in life.

* One uphill battle at a time, but have you read some of the tags about RJ? I carry no water for Orange County's answer to Doc Brown, but Hess wouldn't be able to keep up with the things that get hurled at RJ in the tags at this place. When some of you guys lift that first stone, be sure to bend at the knees.

Last edited:
Back