• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Karl Hess

It wasn't popular to stand up for Karl this week. After 25 years of delivering every night in the ACC, he deserved better. I'll tell his story through the years when people come in with employee claims. Thanks for the memories King Karl.

Shocked, I am, SHOCKED, I tell you, that a hole fan is bitter that Hess got turfed. He has done a great job of dressing up the butthurt in the clothes of 'Murica, but we know what it all boils down to in the end- less Hess equals less critical calls for the academic scholars jh supports when they are down 5 to FSU and need a little help to get over the hump.

That the offense involved a white man being hoisted upon the petard of his own bigotry (bigotry jh is NOT defending, mind you) just makes it all the better.

DR has it right, despite his emo, townie-like moping on the subject: at will employee gets fired because employer doesn't like what they said after years of employee causing problems for employer. In other breaking news, sun rises in the east.

Shocked, I am, SHOCKED, I tell you, that a hole fan is bitter that Hess got turfed. He has done a great job of dressing up the butthurt in the clothes of 'Murica, but we know what it all boils down to in the end- less Hess equals less critical calls for the academic scholars jh supports when they are down 5 to FSU and need a little help to get over the hump.

That the offense involved a white man being hoisted upon the petard of his own bigotry (bigotry jh is NOT defending, mind you) just makes it all the better.

DR has it right, despite his emo, townie-like moping on the subject: at will employee gets fired because employer doesn't like what they said after years of employee causing problems for employer. In other breaking news, sun rises in the east.

On behalf of all of Tarheelia, we've been growing weary of Hess's lack of fidelity to The Cause lately*. Plans to phase him out of our rotation of preferred officials were already in the works. Mit is our Oswald, and doesn't even know it. Thanks for doing the dirty work, Deacs. Don't make any plans for those 50/50 calls down the stretch now that you have blood on your hands.

* Needing a quick 5 to best FSU is tough, but needing a touchdown to draw square with Delaware State is prolly worse, no?

Last edited:
You guys persecute others for their thoughts. Their thoughts. Your grandparents put a man on the moon; you heroes stone heretics on Twitter. It is fair to say dissenting opinions aren't your strong suit.

When you speak words aloud in public, those aren't thoughts. Those are actions. Hess's combative actions against a fan fit into a pattern of behavior. The ACC has apparently been down this road before with him, and they expected him to act professionally. He proved unwilling or unable to do that, so they terminated his employment. There were no circumstances that demanded Hess react that way. He made a bad choice in a long line of bad choices, and there are consequences. Fans are customers of the ACC product. I can't think of many professions where that kind of treatment of customers is tolerated. This isn't a roast, comedy club, or dick's last resort in Myrtle Beach.

When you speak words aloud in public, those aren't thoughts. Those are actions. Hess's combative actions against a fan fit into a pattern of behavior. The ACC has apparently been down this road before with him, and they expected him to act professionally. He proved unwilling or unable to do that, so they terminated his employment. There were no circumstances that demanded Hess react that way. He made a bad choice in a long line of bad choices, and there are consequences. Fans are customers of the ACC product. I can't think of many professions where that kind of treatment of customers is tolerated. This isn't a roast, comedy club, or dick's last resort in Myrtle Beach.

Right. We all acknowledge that Hess was in the wrong. *sighs* The appropriate response from Mit is, "Hess, you can't afford this seat." The ten people in earshot all laugh and adults move on with their lives.

Last edited:
Maybe we should all consult JH for proper etiquette/reaction when racial insensitivities are hurled our way.

Right. We all acknowledge that Hess was in the wrong. *sighs* The appropriate response from Mit is, "Hess, you can't afford this seat." The ten people in earshot all laugh and adults move on with their lives.

My copy of Emily Post must be missing that chapter. Private individuals paying for a product have every right to voice their concerns with treatment from employees. I'm not sure why someone who felt offended should just keep their mouth shut about it. I could understand how some individuals might choose that course of action, but not everyone thinks the same way.

How kind of you. But I learned long ago that adults don't say stupid shit to other adults when one is "working" and the other is a paying customer.

My copy of Emily Post must be missing that chapter. Private individuals paying for a product have every right to voice their concerns with treatment from employees. I'm not sure why someone who felt offended should just keep their mouth shut about it. I could understand how some individuals might choose that course of action, but not everyone thinks the same way.

*sighs* As previously noted, open your mouth and say something funnier. A less intelligent person is talking shit to you. Solve for X, be funny, and finish him. Then go run your company when the red light reads 0:00.

*sighs* As previously noted, open your mouth and say something funnier. A less intelligent person is talking shit to you. Solve for X, be funny, and finish him. Then go run your company when the red light reads 0:00.

I can't wait for your generation to die. That day can't come soon enough.

I can't wait for your generation to die. That day can't come soon enough.

We're all the same, with our stereotypes, aren't we? When you get your wish, who are you going to run tattle to when somebody hurts your feelings?

I think its funny that the only folks that are sore over Hess' firing are Holes, Dukies, & other refs that continue to "protect" the Holes & Dukies.

We're all the same, with our stereotypes, aren't we? When you get your wish, who are you going to run tattle to when somebody hurts your feelings?

Just keep sticking up for the bigoted white guy. We wouldn't expect anything less.

Just keep sticking up for the bigoted white guy. We wouldn't expect anything less.

Seems odd that you would purport to abhor prejudice in one adjective and then follow that adjective with another which treats someone as an object of their skin color (rather than a human being with flaws like everyone else (besides you, obv's)). I suppose not everyone can live up the lofty standards you believe that you meet, especially when you are so quick to immediately give yourself a pass.

Congrats, I guess.

Meanwhile, from someone who knows him in real life (that is, off of your internet high horse)...

Julius Hodge ‏@Follow24Hodge · 2m2 minutes ago I know Karl Hess and I think he was searching for "identity" as opposed to a "slur". #ACC

Last edited:
Seems odd that you would purport to abhor prejudice in one adjective and then follow that adjective with another which treats someone as an object of their skin color (rather than a human being with flaws like everyone else (besides you, obv's)). I suppose not everyone can live up the lofty standards you believe that you meet, especially when you are so quick to immediately give yourself a pass.

Congrats, I guess.

When you start sticking up for non-white bigots, I'll be able to start forgoing adjectives. So just let me know.

When you start sticking up for non-white bigots, I'll be able to start forgoing adjectives. So just let me know.

When you have enough information about me (for example, you might even meet me; and other crazy thoughts that some people refer to as due diligence) to even begin to have a basis (source of authority pending) to start making such grand judgments, I'll be in touch. Until then, continue believing that you "are" what you post on an internet message board. Moar internet points for DD!

Karl Hess should have been fired on the spot 17 years ago when he called Nikki Arinze's nutsack for a charge when he teabagged Shane Battier on perhaps the most spectacular dunk in Wake history. That hack has been working on borrowed time ever since.

Back