• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Karl Hess

Wake's tuition has nothing to do with Hess.....but my post wasn't about Hess. I don't know or care what kind of referee that he is. I don't know that I've ever even seen him referee a game. I wouldn't recognize him if he came to my house. My post was about the idiot who was heckling him and some of the idiots who were posting on this thread about it....and Wake's ridiculous tuition these days has everything to do with them.

When do you think Mit went to Wake?

What a total numb nuts. We are assholes because we think a grown adult, working at an event, shouldn't throw out culturally/racially insensitive comments at a customer/fan? I'm no member of the PC police but is it really hard to understand how this went south for Hess (especially with his history)? Whatever med you skipped this morning you may want to take.

No one is arguing that. Please read more closely.

Wake's tuition has nothing to do with Hess.....but my post wasn't about Hess. I don't know or care what kind of referee that he is. I don't know that I've ever even seen him referee a game. I wouldn't recognize him if he came to my house. My post was about the idiot who was heckling him and some of the idiots who were posting on this thread about it....and Wake's ridiculous tuition these days has everything to do with them.

Mit's total tuition bill from Wake Forest (for 4 years) would have been right around $30,000.

Not sure what today's prices (30 grand gets you a little more than a semester) have to do with him being called an Egyptian, but you've made greater leaps of logic I suppose.

Bunch of total dickheads on these boards. Wake Forest has totally gone to shit with its $60K/year elitist prices. Evidently, a school attracts mostly spoiled assholes at those prices. Nobody with any common sense regarding money would go there at those prices. I don't give a damn whether they fired Hess or not. I don't even watch basketball games any more....but what is a wealthy, grown man doing heckling referees as a fan at a fucking basketball game?

58% of Wake Students receive financial aid of some sort. The average cost of attendance is actually less than $33,000.

Until he got upset over some petty bullshit a billion years ago and renounced his fandom. He's been a cranky idiot ever since.

Karl Hess was let go because he's an idiot, not because of Mit Shah.

All due respect to DonaldRoss, but the ACC has been compiling a list against Hess for quite some time. He might be an okay ref as far as knowing the rules, etc, but the guy is pretty stupid when it comes to knowing when to shut his mouth and act like a professional.

I don't know details, but I know that a few seasons ago there was a rumor that the ACC was having discussions with Hess regarding his conduct. Pretty sure other schools filed complaints against him. Mit Shah tweeting his exchange only gave the ACC what they needed to sever ties.

Hess was a piece of shit. Good riddance

The Hess story made the Philadelphia Inquirer. The very small article also noted that some other conferences are evaluating their relationship with Hess, and might decide to no longer use him as an official. Maybe this was simply the excuse that many have been looking for to put Hess out to pasture.

All due respect to DonaldRoss, but the ACC has been compiling a list against Hess for quite some time. He might be an okay ref as far as knowing the rules, etc, but the guy is pretty stupid when it comes to knowing when to shut his mouth and act like a professional.

I don't know details, but I know that a few seasons ago there was a rumor that the ACC was having discussions with Hess regarding his conduct. Pretty sure other schools filed complaints against him. Mit Shah tweeting his exchange only gave the ACC what they needed to sever ties.

Right, but it certainly looks like he got run primarily or entirely because of this incident, which is not the case. If I'm Mit, I'd want to clear this up (Hess is an ass-hat but he did lose his job and may have lost all of his officiating jobs).

This sounds correct but what doesn't compute is that Hess was not an employee of the ACC nor was he a member of a collectively bargained group of individuals. They didn't need a list of reasons if they were tired of him. the ACC could just not use him since he's by all accounts just a contracted person. Perhaps the ACC just wanted an excuse to stop using him instead of just telling him his services are no longer needed.

Hess had a reputation as a "good referee" who had support of his fellow officials - see what happened a few years ago when he was removed from officiating a game and the guys who replaced him put "KH" on their shoes. With this incident (as well as a bunch of others) the ACC now has an excellent excuse to no longer use him. This also makes it very hard for other officials to support him. They would be in the position of supporting someone who makes public racially charged remarks. Not where someone refereeing basketball games would want to be.

Hess had made the games he reffed too much about him and not about the players and the game. This has gotten worse over time, and I think many people have been looking for a good way out. From the ACC standpoint this is that good way to part with Hess as an official at conference games. Will Hess still work games for other conferences? Maybe. But, I suspect ACC teams may request he not be used in non-conference games involving ACC teams and other conference teams. Not many conferences would offend ACC teams by using an official they don't want, particularly after this situation.

Back