• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Karl Hess

Hess had a reputation as a "good referee" who had support of his fellow officials - see what happened a few years ago when he was removed from officiating a game and the guys who replaced him put "KH" on their shoes. With this incident (as well as a bunch of others) the ACC now has an excellent excuse to no longer use him. This also makes it very hard for other officials to support him. They would be in the position of supporting someone who makes public racially charged remarks. Not where someone refereeing basketball games would want to be.

Hess had made the games he reffed too much about him and not about the players and the game. This has gotten worse over time, and I think many people have been looking for a good way out. From the ACC standpoint this is that good way to part with Hess as an official at conference games. Will Hess still work games for other conferences? Maybe. But, I suspect ACC teams may request he not be used in non-conference games involving ACC teams and other conference teams. Not many conferences would offend ACC teams by using an official they don't want, particularly after this situation.

And I agree with all of this. My initial knee-jerk reaction, however, I know think was pretty stupid.

Hess hasn't been fired, has he? I was under the impression that he will not referee ACC games, but still will referee Big 12, SEC, AAC, etc., if he so chooses. It seems like he is the one turning down opportunities right now rather than the other way around.

Hess hasn't been fired, has he? I was under the impression that he will not referee ACC games, but still will referee Big 12, SEC, AAC, etc., if he so chooses. It seems like he is the one turning down opportunities right now rather than the other way around.

I believe he was recently asked not to do an AAC game but not certain on that.

Right, but it certainly looks like he got run primarily or entirely because of this incident, which is not the case. If I'm Mit, I'd want to clear this up (Hess is an ass-hat but he did lose his job and may have lost all of his officiating jobs).

You and I would want to clear it up, but I doubt somebody with his money and influence gives a rat's ass. And maybe I wouldn't either if I were in his shoes.

"Veteran official Karl Hess has worked his final ACC basketball game and has withdrawn himself from assignments with the American Athletic Conference.

Hess also has withdrawn from all SEC games for the rest of the season, SEC spokesman Craig Pinkerton confirmed in an email to The Associated Press..."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12141973/referee-karl-hess-no-longer-work-acc-games

Everybody talked about what a great Ref Hess was, but the fact that he showed a higher home team bias seems to counteract that.

That shows he let environment influence his performance. Easy to draw a parallel that he would let legendary coaches and programs do the same.

i thought part of the hess problem is that he routinely helped out dook and the holes, no?

Everybody talked about what a great Ref Hess was, but the fact that he showed a higher home team bias seems to counteract that.

That shows he let environment influence his performance. Easy to draw a parallel that he would let legendary coaches and programs do the same.

I bet you home team bias was absent when he reffed at Wake.

Saw in the paper that Hess played at liberty and left as its all time leading scorer and that he is a practicing psychologist in Virginia. Both of those facts surprised me.

You and I would want to clear it up, but I doubt somebody with his money and influence gives a rat's ass. And maybe I wouldn't either if I were in his shoes.

I realize Hess sucked as an official, but no matter how much money I had, if it appeared I got a guy fired, I'd want to make sure the facts were clear.

I realize Hess sucked as an official, but no matter how much money I had, if it appeared I got a guy fired, I'd want to make sure the facts were clear.
I really don't think he was a) fired from his occupation (refereeing college sports) and b) barred from refereeing ACC games solely based on this most recent interaction.

Where are these points being made?

Hess appeared to be a bit thin skinned for an ACC ref( NCSU incident with Googs and Corcianni/ Mit Shah) and he showed favoritism towards Duke by giving them all the calls and allowing rat face to scream F bombs at everyone with no consequences. However , most ACC refs treat Duke and K the same way. I would have preferred a suspension rather than lifetime ban due to his 25 years of service and general respect in the officiating community . Apparently , this was his third strike.

he had a great career. duke and unc won 7 national titles under his watch. he should enjoy retirement from reffing.

I think I saw someone post Hess was a practicing psychologist. If so, I wonder if his clients will move to someone else

Saw in the paper that Hess played at liberty and left as its all time leading scorer and that he is a practicing psychologist in Virginia. Both of those facts surprised me.

Impossible. We were distinctly told his life would be ruined if he were not allowed to ref college basketball.

It wasn't popular to stand up for Karl this week. After 25 years of delivering every night in the ACC, he deserved better. I'll tell his story through the years when people come in with employee claims. Thanks for the memories King Karl.

#Wow

p15461_d_v7_aa.jpg

Back