• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Katz: Time for these programs to climb out of mediocrity

Did Katz include that sentence about Wellman and [Redacted] being "good friends" just to troll Wellman?
IMO he said it so as to not get flack about him believing Wellman had to see things through another year. The friends line is just an excuse for the next line. I think Katz's take is what everyone around the program believes. They started down this road and they have to see it through, meaning give Bz a decent chance with his kids. But they also went into this expecting if Bz was "the" coach for Wake, he'd be able to coach up his kids quickly and be successful which was the risk they took. Whether that is likely or not is immaterial to that decision but Bz has to produce this year.

IMO he said it so as to not get flack about him believing Wellman had to see things through another year. The friends line is just an excuse for the next line. I think Katz's take is what everyone around the program believes. They started down this road and they have to see it through, meaning give Bz a decent chance with his kids. But they also went into this expecting if Bz was "the" coach for Wake, he'd be able to coach up his kids quickly and be successful which was the risk they took. Whether that is likely or not is immaterial to that decision but Bz has to produce this year.

I don't agree with this at all. I read it as a not-so-subtle shot at Wellman's ego. I find it very hard to believe Katz agrees with "everyone around the program," especially given his prior comments, and Eammon Brennan's articles slamming the AD.

Did Katz include that sentence about Wellman and [Redacted] being "good friends" just to troll Wellman?

Parrish included that one, too. It seems as though the lunatic fringe has gone mainstream. I'd love to see Ron's face while he reads these season previews.

This is both mental and delusional.

He is an egomaniac that went on a huge PR blitz when he brought [Redacted] back. Of course he cares about his public image.

1. Agree with egomaniac
2. Disagree with caring about his public image - between his ego and delusions of self grandeur his general public image is not important; only his image with the big buck donors at Wake counts. Those who believe they are smarter and better than everyone else don't care what the commoner thinks.

Wellman is in the spotlight this year more than ever before in his life, with his NCAA Tourney role. I bet he cares quite a lot what's being written about him. He's increasingly being seen as stubborn and possibly in over his head.

First, Andy does believe the Bzz/Welman friends issue. Oddly, I can say Katz told me so.

Secondly, Andy is friends with Dino and believes Dino got a raw deal.

I actually believe if he was not friends with Dino, he'd be much more aggressive with his statements.

Do you really think Ron gives a shit? I don't.

He has to be stewing. He doesn't show his cards that often, but based on what I know about the man from those close to him, Ron is a control freak and this has to be eating at him. He's praying that this goes away in a historically competitive 15-17 win season.

NCAAT or bust- enough is enough!

Bzz will go down as the worst coach in WF history, even below the intramural coaches.

First, Andy does believe the Bzz/Welman friends issue. Oddly, I can say Katz told me so.

Secondly, Andy is friends with Dino and believes Dino got a raw deal.

I actually believe if he was not friends with Dino, he'd be much more aggressive with his statements.

The friends thing really doesn't bother me all that much. People get hired all the time because of their contacts. If Wellman really had a strong hunch that this guy would work out, then he had earned that prerogative. The real issue is just that it's been a complete disaster, and Wellman continues to double-down on the guy, but I don't necessarily think that has anything to do with them being friends. I think Wellman would have doubled-down on whoever this hire was (as long as survece level progress was made in the "culture" dept). This was a critically important hire and he's going to give him every possible opportunity to succeed. Just sucks for those of us that have actually cared about winning the last four years.

I don't agree with this at all. I read it as a not-so-subtle shot at Wellman's ego. I find it very hard to believe Katz agrees with "everyone around the program," especially given his prior comments, and Eammon Brennan's articles slamming the AD.
Maybe, but the rest of his comments talk about the rough road and that now we need to see if it was worth it. That means it's not really a shot at what has transpired because he's accepting the course of action, it's more of a shot at the original decision to hire Bz. I've always sensed Katz has the same sort of take I do. Firing Dino after 3 years was dumb, given having to deal with Skip's death and all the success Dino had. Hiring a coach with little college track record like Bz was an unnecessary risk, and the decision to hire someone 180° in personality from Dino was going to be a disaster with the existing kids and recruits. That said, once you go down that road, you almost have to see it through with Bz recruits to see what happens because if for some reason Bz actually can connect with and coach up his kids really well, then it'll show this year. If not, Wake gave a coach a legit shot given the circumstances he was put in and he failed. I think doing that will matter...to future coaching candidates.

This is both mental and delusional.
Says someone with 45k posts mostly about how you hate Bz, and apparently without a life outside of this board. Wellman saw Bz as a way to get Orange Bowl acclaim for the bball program...."Bball Grobe". Everything else that has happened follows that course, with Wellman's huge gaffe being he thought Bz could "save" Dino's players and recruits. That's what this is all about.

Says someone with 45k posts mostly about how you hate Bz, and apparently without a life outside of this board. Wellman saw Bz as a way to get Orange Bowl acclaim for the bball program...."Bball Grobe". Everything else that has happened follows that course, with Wellman's huge gaffe being he thought Bz could "save" Dino's players and recruits. That's what this is all about.

Most of my posts are easily about United or footy in general. And those don't make me mental or delusional, but they do make me a massive dork. I own that.

You are the one pretending to be able to get inside Katz's head and you conclude that he believes what those around the program believes. That's mental. Own your delusion.

Wellman saw Bz as a way to get Orange Bowl acclaim for the bball program...."Bball Grobe". Everything else that has happened follows that course, with Wellman's huge gaffe being he thought Bz could "save" Dino's players and recruits. That's what this is all about.

No, Wellman's huge gaffe was thinking that football and basketball are anything close to being similar. Noted, that gaffe was preceded by Wellman's gaffe in believing that he was the smartest guy he'd ever met. And Buzz went to town running off Dino's guys almost as soon as he set foot on campus (just like he did at CO). He was never brought in to "save" Dino's guys. Keep hanging on to your hope though...it's fun(ny) to watch.

Websters synonyms for mediocre: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish. We definitely are some of these. Some of them we haven't quite achieved yet.

Most of my posts are easily about United or footy in general. And those don't make me mental or delusional, but they do make me a massive dork. I own that.

You are the one pretending to be able to get inside Katz's head and you conclude that he believes what those around the program believes. That's mental. Own your delusion.

Or use your illusion.:rock:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to deacvision7 again.

Back