• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Katz: Time for these programs to climb out of mediocrity

Maybe, but the rest of his comments talk about the rough road and that now we need to see if it was worth it. That means it's not really a shot at what has transpired because he's accepting the course of action, it's more of a shot at the original decision to hire Bz. I've always sensed Katz has the same sort of take I do. Firing Dino after 3 years was dumb, given having to deal with Skip's death and all the success Dino had. Hiring a coach with little college track record like Bz was an unnecessary risk, and the decision to hire someone 180° in personality from Dino was going to be a disaster with the existing kids and recruits. That said, once you go down that road, you almost have to see it through with Bz recruits to see what happens because if for some reason Bz actually can connect with and coach up his kids really well, then it'll show this year. If not, Wake gave a coach a legit shot given the circumstances he was put in and he failed. I think doing that will matter...to future coaching candidates.

Again, completely disagree. Katz said Wellman had to stick with Bz because Wellman "put his stake" in Bz. That means Wellman believes he has to keep Bz to save his own reputation, and potentially his job. Some ADs would acknowledge their mistake and fire the bad coach, but not Wellman. This is 100% ego-driven. Katz doesn't argue Bz deserves more time, but rather that Wellman will give Bz as much time as possible to save his own hide.

Wellman took a wild risk and desperately needs it to succeed. It has failed miserably to date. The only chance he has to claim success is to continue to hope against hope. We all know the odds that method will work. Wellman has played his ego against the health of the program, which really sucks for Wake, its players, and its fans.

Last edited:
The friends thing really doesn't bother me all that much. People get hired all the time because of their contacts. If Wellman really had a strong hunch that this guy would work out, then he had earned that prerogative. The real issue is just that it's been a complete disaster, and Wellman continues to double-down on the guy, but I don't necessarily think that has anything to do with them being friends. I think Wellman would have doubled-down on whoever this hire was (as long as survece level progress was made in the "culture" dept). This was a critically important hire and he's going to give him every possible opportunity to succeed. Just sucks for those of us that have actually cared about winning the last four years.

Yeah. If Ron and Shaka were best friends , I wouldn't have any issue with Ron hiring him.

The problem isn't that Ron hired his friend. The problem is that Ron needs better friends.

Yeah. If Ron and Shaka were best friends , I wouldn't have any issue with Ron hiring him.

The problem isn't that Ron hired his friend. The problem is that Ron needs better coaches as friends.

FIFY

I may be wrong, but I think Andy's original first sentence was "The Demon Deacons are stuck with Jeff [Redacted] for a fourth season after winning just 13 games in each of the past two seasons.

I may be wrong, but I think Andy's original first sentence was "The Demon Deacons are stuck with Jeff [Redacted] for a fourth season after winning just 13 games in each of the past two seasons.

No, but that is probably what he is thinking like most of us.

Back