• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kenni Burns

scotttyson62

Reaction score
Wake Forest: A source tells CoachingSearch.com that Dave Clawson has spoken with North Dakota State wide receivers coach / recruiting coordinator , but Burns could be headed to Wyoming with Craig Bohl.

I noted in the other thread, but Adam Scheier the BG interim head coach is coming to Wake as well. He was the special teams coordinator and TE coach at BGSU.

so now our football team works watches documentaries instead of practicing? so LOWF

Not as experienced as I'd hope for what I guess is the RB coach. Strong FCS experience but I'm wary of having too many FCS guys. Actually I'd like to see more BCS conference experience.

Not as experienced as I'd hope for what I guess is the RB coach. Strong FCS experience but I'm wary of having too many FCS guys. Actually I'd like to see more BCS conference experience.

If you're going to poach some FCS coaches though, North Dakota State is a good place.

I noted in the other thread, but Adam Scheier the BG interim head coach is coming to Wake as well. He was the special teams coordinator and TE coach at BGSU.

I missed this. Awesome! Where was this discussed?

ETA: Just saw the coaching thread. Sweet!

Last edited:
As long as the BCS experience was not at WF.

When the NDSU coach went to Wyoming, many were saying it was a step down and that he had better facilities and better talent at NDSU than Wyoming. Don't ever seem to remember a FCS school being ranked in the top 25 of computer ratings of all programs before.

23 North Dakota State AA = 82.24 13 0 56.88( 138) 0 0 | 1 0 | 83.00 21 | 81.30 24 | 80.98 26

When the NDSU coach went to Wyoming, many were saying it was a step down and that he had better facilities and better talent at NDSU than Wyoming. Don't ever seem to remember a FCS school being ranked in the top 25 of computer ratings of all programs before.

23 North Dakota State AA = 82.24 13 0 56.88( 138) 0 0 | 1 0 | 83.00 21 | 81.30 24 | 80.98 26

Doesn't he have a winning record in games against FBS teams while he was at NDSU?

I missed this. Awesome! Where was this discussed?

ETA: Just saw the coaching thread. Sweet!

He was asked point blank on the radio. Said Wake was a great opportunity for him and his family, but looking forward to coaching the bowl game.

BCS coaching experience is not high on my list for position coaches or even a coordinator spot. In 2006, Arkansas hired Gus Malzhan out of Springdale High School to be their OC/WR coach; at the time Malzhan had no college coaching experience. Malzhan may be the best offensive strategist in college football.

In 2010, Tulsa hired Chad Morris to be their OC/QB coach out of Lake Travis High School. At the time, Morris had no college coaching experience. Morris is thought to be one of the best, if not the best, OC in college football.

In 2000, Mike Leach hired Art Briles out of Stephensville HS to be Texas Tech's RB's coach. At the time, Briles had no college coaching experience. Briles is one of the most innovative offensive coaches in college football.

In 1997, Kentucky hired Mike Leach as their OC. Leach revolutionized college football offenses. At time, Leach was the Valdosta State (Division 2) OC, Leach had never coached on the D-1 level.

To find the best coaches, it makes no sense to limit the pool of people considered. If there is a coach at lower level (even HS) that is doing exceptional things, it would be stupid to reject the candidate because you were not smart enough to bring him to the BCS level first.

Last edited:
BCS coaching experience is not high on my list for position coaches or even a coordinator spot. In 2006, Arkansas hired Gus Malzhan out of Springdale High School to be their OC/WR coach; at the time Malzhan had no college coaching experience. Malzhan may be the best offensive strategist in college football.

In 2010, Tulsa hired Chad Morris to be their OC/QB coach out of Lake Travis High School. At the time, Morris had no college coaching experience. Morris is thought to be one of the best, if not the best OC, in college football.

In 2000, Mike Leach hired Art Briles out of Stephensville HS to be Texas Tech's RB's coach. At the time, Briles had not college coaching experience. Briles is one of the most innovative offensive coach in college football.

In 1997, Kentucky hired Mike Leach as their OC. Leach revolutionized college football offenses. At time, Leach was the Valdosta State (Division 2) OC, Leach had never coached on the D-1 level.

To find the best coaches, it makes no sense to limit the pool of people considered. If there is a coach at lower level (even HS) that is doing exceptional things, it would be stupid to reject the candidate because you were not smart enough to bring him to the BCS level first.

excellent observations.

didn't bowling green have some tight ass special teams this past year?

Pilch, I think you overreached on the lecture. First, I'm not completely against FCS or even HS hires. Talent is talent. I would just like to see some BCS experience on the staff. Second, were Malzhan, Briles, and Leach hired by coaches without BCS experience onto staffs without BCS experience? If not, then you aren't responding to my point about this specific situation.

Some think that ST coach was the best on the staff. But both coordinators are really good. Spoke with a player yesterday who played under the OC at another school and he said that they had a goal line play that was never stopped--always resulted in a TD.

In 2010, Tulsa hired Chad Morris to be their OC/QB coach out of Lake Travis High School. At the time, Morris had no college coaching experience. Morris is thought to be one of the best, if not the best, OC in college football.

In 2000, Mike Leach hired Art Briles out of Stephensville HS to be Texas Tech's RB's coach. At the time, Briles had no college coaching experience. Briles is one of the most innovative offensive coaches in college football.

great examples. We need coaches who can make something out of what we already have, If we want to win next year. We could bring in the greatest mind of the wish-bone offense, and he'll fall flat on his face with the personnel we have.

Ph Deac, nice attempt at a backpedal, but yes, Leach was hired by Hal Mumme at Kentucky, who had no BCS experience when Kentucky hired him, and Briles was hired by Leach who had never been a head coach at any level of college football before getting the Texas Tech job in 2000 (the year that Briles was hired).

What did I backpedal from Pilch?

And finish your response. Did the rest of those staffs have no BCS experience?

Back