• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keys to Victory: APP STATE

I hope one advantage for Wake in this game is improved team chemistry/confidence based on progress following shared struggles in recent years. But these Aggies will test our defense. I suspect Wake will mostly rely on running to attempt to establish control.

I was watching. It was a quick kick on 4th and short inside Winconsin territory. They lined up like they were going to go for it and the QB pooch punted it. Our team better be ready or we could lose, they whipped us pretty good at their place a couple of years ago. We're better now and need to keep showing it.

The USU QB probably had a go for it/kick it option set. If Wisconsin doesn't have a decent D setup to stop a regular play, USU goes for the first down.

Why are we so concerned about a MWC that went 3-9 last year and had the snot beat out of them by the one good team they have played this year?

Because they beat a bad FCS team under a first year coach? Or because the best team in their program's history beat a Wake Forest team that's much worse than this one in Logan?

It's time for Wake Forest to kick Utah State in the teeth and lay a beat down on those blue and white Aggies like the red-headed ginger step child that they are.

You're just jealous because we have more follicles per square inch than all the current, or soon to be, baldies. By the way, the bolded part appears to be redundant. Did you pay attention at Wake? I know I didn't.

Why are we so concerned about a MWC that went 3-9 last year and had the snot beat out of them by the one good team they have played this year?

Because they beat a bad FCS team under a first year coach? Or because the best team in their program's history beat a Wake Forest team that's much worse than this one in Logan?

Maybe because of a little regarded UConn team coming to Winston and beating our brains in during one of Grobe's early years or La. Monroe coming in here and beating us 5 or 6 seasons ago or the countless other examples from games over our history that we should've won, but didn't. Can't believe people think we can take games like this for granted? I imagine the same thoughts were being nc floated around before the Army game last year too.

Maybe because of a little regarded UConn team coming to Winston and beating our brains in during one of Grobe's early years or La. Monroe coming in here and beating us 5 or 6 seasons ago or the countless other examples from games over our history that we should've won, but didn't. Can't believe people think we can take games like this for granted? I imagine the same thoughts were being nc floated around before the Army game last year too.

We shouldn't take it for granted, but we are favored by two scores for a reason.

We are much better than we were when Louisiana Monroe beat us. And Utah State probably isn't as good as at least the first of those two ULM teams were. It definitely isn't nearly as good as last year's Army team.

I don't know about UConn, that was before my time.

Last edited:
We shouldn't take it for granted, but we are favored by two scores for a reason.

We are much better than we were when Louisiana Monroe beat us. And Utah State probably isn't as good as at least the first of those two ULM teams were. It definitely isn't nearly as good as last year's Army team.

I don't know about UConn, that was before my time.

That explains your overconfidence, don't worry stick around long enough and you'll come around. Army had a decent team last year, but I highly doubt they were a lot better than Utah State.

That UConn team was pretty legit in hindsight. Dan Orlovsky was their QB. Went 9-3.

That explains your overconfidence, don't worry stick around long enough and you'll come around. Army had a decent team last year, but I highly doubt they were a lot better than Utah State.

I mean 10 years isn't nothing.

I don't see how not wringing my hands over a game we are favored in by three scores (I was off earlier) is overconfidence.

This Wake team is likely better than the teams that lost to ULM or UConn and Utah State is worse than either of those two teams. Need to make sure we don't come out flat, but this is the easiest game left on our schedule by far.

I mean 10 years isn't nothing.

I don't see how not wringing my hands over a game we are favored in by three scores (I was off earlier) is overconfidence.

It's ok man, put in about 3 more decades and we'll talk. All I'm saying is I hope our team is focused and ready because we can lose this game. I liked our focus and preparedness Saturday against BC and I like how we seemed to stay that way the whole game. I didn't sense the "letup" I've often seen in Wake teams when we get up by a decent margin (not often). We need to continue that Saturday.

That UConn team was pretty legit in hindsight. Dan Orlovsky was their QB. Went 9-3.

Not really in hindsight. They were 8-3 going into the game. This was their second full year at the 1-A (now FBS) level. They were still an Indy and played a horrible schedule. They didn't even make a bowl.

We were 5-5 and expected to beat them. We had three chances to go to a bowl. In our second chance, we got destroyed by UConn. It was a very disappointing loss tempered only by CP3 debuting at Madison Square Garden that weekend.

Looks like last year's Army team is roughly 5 to 5.5 points better than Utah State. Wake is 2 to 3 points better.

On a sidenote, I didn't realize we finished top 50 in Sagarin last year. That Temple win must have jumped us a lot as I don't recall us cracking top 60 in the regular season (could just be wrong about that though).

Wake was "only" -6.5 over Army last year.

Now I'm curious about the spread in WF-UConn in 2003. Can't find it on google. Hard to believe we'd be any more than a TD favorite. This metric ranked the teams about dead even.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2003-ratings.html

I can't remember the spread, but I do remember the recurring theme among the fanbase was it should be an easy win. UConn had made the jump from then 1-AA to 1-A only a couple years earlier I think.

Not really in hindsight. They were 8-3 going into the game. This was their second full year at the 1-A (now FBS) level. They were still an Indy and played a horrible schedule. They didn't even make a bowl.

We were 5-5 and expected to beat them. We had three chances to go to a bowl. In our second chance, we got destroyed by UConn. It was a very disappointing loss tempered only by CP3 debuting at Madison Square Garden that weekend.

Miserable night too. Cold and rainy, one of the few games I've ever left early. Team looked like they quit trying and I decided I wasn't going to sit out there until the end if they weren't at least trying.

Looks like Wake and UConn were roughly equal in 2003.
Roughly equal after that blowout means we were probably pretty big favorites at the time.

That game was coming off a loss to a horrible unc team. Maybe a classic example of letting a team beat you twice.

Back