• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keys to Victory: APP STATE

Since 1997, Wake is 23-2 in games as a double-digit favorite.

The last loss was 2008 at home against Navy (-17 and lost 24-17) and the only other loss was 1998 against Virginia (-12 and lost 38-17). We are, however, only 6-19 ATS in those games. 22 of the 25 games were at home with the three road games being Baylor in 2008, Duke in 2005, and ECU in 2004.

There's no way we were favored against UVa in '98. UVa went 9-3 that year and I'm pretty sure they were ranked most if not all of the season.

The Idaho State team that USU beat trailed a Div II team that is 0-2 on the season 6-3 at the half and only outgained them by about 100 yards.
They look to be around the same level as Presbyterian.

Utah State's qb went 24-26 so we at least know he's capable of hitting wide open receivers.

However, the fact that Idaho State scored two touchdowns and had over 300 yards of offense would seem to indicate that Utah State's defense is not particularly strong.

I was at that game. I recall the attendance and the temperature as being significantly lower than those noted in the recap you linked.

I was at the game too and that temperature seems fairly generous. Wake was coming off of a bye week so the team and coaches had an extra week to heal from injuries and prepare for UConn. Wake did not look good or prepared for the game at all.

From News & Observer rankings of ACC teams:

9. Wake Forest

Record: 2-0 (1-0 ACC)

Last game: won at Boston College, 34-10. Next game: vs. Utah State

No nonsense by the Deacs in their ACC opener. The next two weeks (Utah State, at Appalachian State) might actually be more difficult.

At App State is the toughest of the first four games and it isn't even close. Utah state at home and BC on the road seem to be close to equal.

BC on the road should be a tougher game than Utah State. BCs defense is way better than anything well see from USU.

BC on the road should be a tougher game than Utah State. BCs defense is way better than anything well see from USU.

Don't expect to see much more variety in Wake's offense against USU. Clawson will run vanilla until vanilla doesn't work.

If we can get away with it until FSU, that would be cool.

As an O lineman, if I read that I would realize their N&O staff is not particularly impressed with my linemen or my team. They're certainly not confident that WF can beat opponents perceived to be as good as WF.
As a fan, it's time our OL take out any frustration they might have from many weeks of hard work this summer on some Aggies and a dude called Josepf by some hill people.

As an O lineman, if I read that I would realize their N&O staff is not particularly impressed with my linemen or my team. They're certainly not confident that WF can beat opponents perceived to be as good as WF.
As a fan, it's time our OL take out any frustration they might have from many weeks of hard work this summer on some Aggies and a dude called Josepf by some hill people.

For an O -line, the way you know you did a good job is if your QB is standing after every pass play. That is how you show that all the hard work is paying off.

Back