• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kiss the Ring Part 2

How is our Director's Cup standing shaping up as compared to past years?

Think we are in the 70's now, but are going to get MAD points for the Spring sports.

It's by far the most successful Wake Forest season in a long time (possibly ever).

I'll give Ron Wellman all the credit in the world for what he has done with getting the current coaches here. I will never forgive him for the Jeff [Redacted] bullshit, but he's done a helluva job recently with fundraising, coach hirings, and it's translating into wins.

I have been a Wake fan for decades, this year is remarkable. And some teams are building good momentum. Plus, the facility building is crazy for a school the size of WF.

I have no explanation or approval for {redacted's hire or retention}; but Wellman does deserve credit for many things connected to this year. He has received a great deal of blame for recent failures (not undeservingly), but he should receive credit for success too...especially good hires and facility improvement.

anyone who cares can see previous Director's Cup standings here:

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-previous-scoring.html

in 2003-04 WF was #43 which may be the high water mark

I was curious so I went and looked (I know I looked at our whole history before but hadn't been interested for a while for obvious reasons). It looks like we had a great run from at least 2002/2003 - 2008/2009, never finishing lower than 44th during that time. We went 32, 43, 37, 44, 23, 45, 37 during that 7 year period.

I was curious so I went and looked (I know I looked at our whole history before but hadn't been interested for a while for obvious reasons). It looks like we had a great run from at least 2002/2003 - 2008/2009, never finishing lower than 44th during that time. We went 32, 43, 37, 44, 23, 45, 37 during that 7 year period.

wow - currently sitting almost 300 points out of 23rd; a high water mark won't happen this year even if WF wins in Omaha

wow - currently sitting almost 300 points out of 23rd; a high water mark won't happen this year even if WF wins in Omaha

Does that include the points WF will get for a top 8 finish in tennis?

Does that include the points WF will get for a top 8 finish in tennis?

no, WF will get more points for tennis and I guess a few for golf; those rankings are updated 6/8

max points for winning a NC is 100 per sport but WF is currently almost 300 points out of 23rd (and 23rd is FSU who has scored a lot more spring points)

WF sending two athletes to Eugene for T&F won't help much

Last edited:

I'll update my own post... Our strong spell went back another couple of years. From 2000/2001 through 2008/2009, a period of 9 years, we never finished lower than 45th - going 33, 42, 32, 43, 37, 44, 23, 45, 37.

Starting with 2009/2010 through last year, a 7 year period, we have never finished higher than 53rd - and that was in the first year of that string, 2009/2010. Since 2010/2011, so over the past 6 seasons, we have not finished higher than 68th - going 74, 92, 98, 70, 90, 68.

Going back to the beginning of this competition, we were much stronger in those years than we have been recently. From 93/94 through 99/00, a 7 season period, we went 50, 34, 50, 47, 66, 74, 50...

So we have had 3 distinct periods of performance - mediocre for 7 years (avg. finish of 53), strong for 9 years (avg. finish of 37), crappy for 7 years (avg. finish of 78).

To summarize Scooter84, the years since Wellman made his enlightened basketball hire Wake has finished 74, 92, 98, 70, 90 and 68. That's an average of 82. The average for the previous 17 seasons is 44. Wellman brought the criticism he received upon himself and the effect of his decisions are seen in the those numbers. Context.

I assume the year we finished 23rd was the Orange Bowl season? What else did we do to earn such a high ranking that season?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The directors cup is meaningless as a measure of our athletic dept unless you take the sports we actually compete in and compare with the rest of the NCAA members in only those sports. I don't care about this list without doing that and it would be interesting if one of you actually did that.

I assume the year we finished 23rd was the Orange Bowl season? What else did we do to earn such a high ranking that season?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

field hockey runner-up, men's soccer final four, women's XC/track (all earned more points than football), men's & women's golf and tennis scored well

basically the WF apex in Director's Cup coincides with the women's FH apex

and yes, Director's cup counts 10 sports per gender; WF competes in 9 (T&F has two seasons)

Last edited:
The buzz debacle was bad but other than that Wellman has done a good job

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The buzz debacle was bad but other than that Wellman has done a good job

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

It wasn't just the hiring and retention of buzz, it was the lies surrounding it and really unprofessional comments. He needs to go.

I have been a Wake fan for decades, this year is remarkable. And some teams are building good momentum. Plus, the facility building is crazy for a school the size of WF.

I have no explanation or approval for {redacted's hire or retention}; but Wellman does deserve credit for many things connected to this year. He has received a great deal of blame for recent failures (not undeservingly), but he should receive credit for success too...especially good hires and facility improvement.

Great Post!! I agree completely!!

Back