• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kitchen appliance shopping

captruss24

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know,
Reaction score
Need some real world advice from anyone who has bought new kitchen appliances within the past 2 years. We've studied the Consumer Reports reviews but a majority of their best buys are hard to find. I've got a $4,500 budget to buy a 30" electric single wall oven, 36" drop in gas cooktop, dishwasher, and wall mounted (non convection) microwave. We are looking at KitchenAid, GE Profile, and Whirlpool Gold. I don't know if Electrolux will fit into our budget, and not considering Viking, Thermador, or Wolf.

KA, GE, and W offer rebates when you buy 2 or more. I really like the DCS appliances but can only afford one, the drop in cooktop, to stay within budget. Thoughts?

Need some real world advice from anyone who has bought new kitchen appliances within the past 2 years. We've studied the Consumer Reports reviews but a majority of their best buys are hard to find. I've got a $4,500 budget to buy a 30" electric single wall oven, 36" drop in gas cooktop, dishwasher, and wall mounted (non convection) microwave. We are looking at KitchenAid, GE Profile, and Whirlpool Gold. I don't know if Electrolux will fit into our budget, and not considering Viking, Thermador, or Wolf.

KA, GE, and W offer rebates when you buy 2 or more. I really like the DCS appliances but can only afford one, the drop in cooktop, to stay within budget. Thoughts?

Go to Sears and look at Kenmore products. They are manufactured by whirlpool, GE, and others, but just marked as Kenmore for Sears. Sears also has better delivery, set-up and service than you get at some of the other big box appliance retailers, again, in my experience.

If you mix brands your stainless steels may not match. That said, I would base my purchase off of the cooktop I like best.

I personally have preferred blondes over brunettes for my color scheme. Definitely cost me way more than $4500 though.

www.us-appliance.com

We did a total kitchen remodel 2-3 years ago and ordered all 4 major appliances here. We did extensive research and price comparison. No local retailer could touch the bottom line. We got free shipping (to our front door) and didn't have to pay sales tax.

Where are you? I have a local ATL guy who has great deals on higher end stuff. You might be able to get a few nicer things (not that there is anything wrong with the KA or GE). But, you have to walk his warehouse and make offers, so if you are not local, it is out.

my wife hates the stainless steel fridge we bought as it is impossible to clean. Is has all sorts of handprints, smudges, water spots etc. and stand out like the midday sun and are so hard to clean off. We wish we had just bought a silver fridge instead of a stainless steel one.

my wife hates the stainless steel fridge we bought as it is impossible to clean. Is has all sorts of handprints, smudges, water spots etc. and stand out like the midday sun and are so hard to clean off. We wish we had just bought a silver fridge instead of a stainless steel one.

i've struggled with this on mine too. handprints and such i can usually get off with a damp cloth. but right below the water/ice dispenser, there are streaks (they've been there since before i bought my house) from the water dripping down. they won't go away, no matter what i do. i don't even know if other people notice it, but it drives me nuts.

www.us-appliance.com

We did a total kitchen remodel 2-3 years ago and ordered all 4 major appliances here. We did extensive research and price comparison. No local retailer could touch the bottom line. We got free shipping (to our front door) and didn't have to pay sales tax.

Jackpot! I would think these prices will hold or eventually lower up until this summer? The house won't be fully completed until August but we may go ahead and buy and have the builder place in storage for the time being.

bought a dishwasher from hh gregg recently with a "free delivery" rebate sale. solid price (though we did not do too much shopping) but their customer service (in sterling va) was excellent. bought right before christmas and chose a shipping date just after the holidays. they called a week out and told us the item we ordered would not be in and available for another week. offered us a more expensive step up for free (few hundred bucks) in order to meet our delivery date. after it was delivered we released the product numbers differed on the receipt so we could not get the rebate. stopped by and the provided a corrected receipt right away. was very pleased.

There are lots of stainless steel cleaners out there. What's the big deal?

Go to Sears and look at Kenmore products. They are manufactured by whirlpool, GE, and others, but just marked as Kenmore for Sears. Sears also has better delivery, set-up and service than you get at some of the other big box appliance retailers, again, in my experience.

Second this -- Kenmores are solid products.

Plus, if you have kids, refrigerator magnets won't stick to a stainless steel fridge so you have to find another spot for their crap.

Jackpot! I would think these prices will hold or eventually lower up until this summer? The house won't be fully completed until August but we may go ahead and buy and have the builder place in storage for the time being.

Be careful of that. The warranty date is based on the purchase date--so if you are considering buying and storing, you may need to buy an extended warranty.

I bought my appliances for a flip through Best Buy (all Frigidaire). They are fine (all stainless) but I was going more for cost b/c of the price point of the house. I did a deal last summer where it was buy 2, get 10% off, buy 3, get 15%, and buy 4, get 20% off the entire purchase price. I got an electric smooth-top range, side-by-side stainless fridge, dishwasher, and microwave/hood for $1,880 (incl tax and delivery). So, its definitely do-able within your budget.

Last edited:
My friend's ex wife consistently scores great deals on things like gently used Viking ranges, etc, that people are selling when they do their astronomically expensive renovations of their already dream kitchens. She is currently collecting appliances for another renovation of her own.

Hey DUDES, where's the best place to get a FRIDGE?!

Go to a local distributor and avoid the big boxes. You'll get better service and probably a better price. I have done this for a washer, dryer, and stove and have no regrets. The folks in a Home Depot are nice, but they do not have the knowledge you need as they have far too many lines to know much about any of them.

Great recommendation, BBD.

Back