• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kitchen appliance shopping

Go to a local distributor and avoid the big boxes. You'll get better service and probably a better price. I have done this for a washer, dryer, and stove and have no regrets. The folks in a Home Depot are nice, but they do not have the knowledge you need as they have far too many lines to know much about any of them.

I agree with this. We got a 4 piece KA set and had great recos and service from a local dealer.

The one thing I would do differently is get the dishwasher with the controls not showing. My wife didn't want a handle sticking out and now when we are cutting stuff in the kitchen, we bump into the D/W and t turns on.

BTW, KA stainless fridges take magnets. We have a ton of kid crap on it. And the smudges aren't bad at all.

If you choose Sears make sure you sign up for their Shop Your Way program. You get points ($) for money spent in the store. Plus some items have like 100,000 points ($100) associated with them. If you have time to shop you can keep an eye out for these deals and rake in a few hundred dollars in store credit for the last appliance you buy.

The one thing I would do differently is get the dishwasher with the controls not showing. My wife didn't want a handle sticking out and now when we are cutting stuff in the kitchen, we bump into the D/W and t turns on.

You can just put it on a dedicated electrical switch so that you can keep the switch off except when you want to run it. In addition to the accidental bump, my kid kept pressing the buttons to turn it on all the time, so now we just switch off the power when not in use.

You can just put it on a dedicated electrical switch so that you can keep the switch off except when you want to run it. In addition to the accidental bump, my kid kept pressing the buttons to turn it on all the time, so now we just switch off the power when not in use.

Thats a good idea except my wife would call the electrician the first time it didn't turn on. What was i supposed to do again?

Anybody have a French door type refrigerator? Mine old fridge died over the holidays and I am in the market for a new one.

Y'all ain't shit unless you get the maple faced stuff.

Anybody have a French door type refrigerator? Mine old fridge died over the holidays and I am in the market for a new one.

Funny, my fridge also died right before Christmas and we ordered one from http://www.appliancesconnection.com. Prices are ridiculously good, but we missed our first delivery date and they've been a little sketchy on the timing for the 2nd attempt. If it makes it here next week in good shape and the install goes fine I'll be happy with the experience. Reviews about that site are pretty hit-and-miss, but it seems ok overall.

We had to get a counter-depth french door, and there aren't many decent ones so it saved us too much to stay local.

When my refrigerator had to be replaced, I really liked the French door style, it just didn't work in my space. Needed a door that went one way, not the split of a French Door. I did get a bottom freezer. Figured why not put the refrigerator part at eye level. Use that much more frequently than the freezer.

I'm not crazy about my French door fridge. It has good total cubic space but it just doesn't seem as usable as my old fridge. Shelves on the inside of the doors particularly seem cramped. It's a Samsung fwiw. Having the fridge part above the freezer part is clutch though and I can't imagine why it took engineers a million years to perfect that.

I'm not crazy about my French door fridge. It has good total cubic space but it just doesn't seem as usable as my old fridge. Shelves on the inside of the doors particularly seem cramped. It's a Samsung fwiw. Having the fridge part above the freezer part is clutch though and I can't imagine why it took engineers a million years to perfect that.

it didn't really take long to do that. Bottom Freezer refrigerators were available in the 60's - just not common.

If you choose Sears make sure you sign up for their Shop Your Way program. You get points ($) for money spent in the store. Plus some items have like 100,000 points ($100) associated with them. If you have time to shop you can keep an eye out for these deals and rake in a few hundred dollars in store credit for the last appliance you buy.

My parents did this I think when they upgraded the fridge/stove/dishwasher/microwave and got enough credit to pay for half of a new sink too.

Funny, my fridge also died right before Christmas and we ordered one from http://www.appliancesconnection.com. Prices are ridiculously good, but we missed our first delivery date and they've been a little sketchy on the timing for the 2nd attempt. If it makes it here next week in good shape and the install goes fine I'll be happy with the experience. Reviews about that site are pretty hit-and-miss, but it seems ok overall.

We had to get a counter-depth french door, and there aren't many decent ones so it saved us too much to stay local.

Just to follow up, fridge arrived within the 2nd delivery window they gave us. Delivery guys were a little rough around the edges but got it installed just fine. While maybe not the smoothest of transactions, all told it was massively less expensive than Sears or anywhere else local even with the end-of-year sales they were running. Was nervous for a while but it turned out great. Went with an LG french door counter-depth, so far it's great. Huge improvement over the old Amana side-by-side we had.

Just to follow up, fridge arrived within the 2nd delivery window they gave us. Delivery guys were a little rough around the edges but got it installed just fine. While maybe not the smoothest of transactions, all told it was massively less expensive than Sears or anywhere else local even with the end-of-year sales they were running. Was nervous for a while but it turned out great. Went with an LG french door counter-depth, so far it's great. Huge improvement over the old Amana side-by-side we had.

Are all kitchen counters standard size? I have never thought of this possibility. How big is that LG you got?

Are all kitchen counters standard size? I have never thought of this possibility. How big is that LG you got?

I think it's just the term they give shallow fridges. 28" deep is about average for Counter Depth, 32-35 inches for normal fridges. The LG is like 28.5" or so.

Is it worth getting an extended warranty when dropping like 2K on a fridge?

Initially the warranty for mine was like $250 or so and I skipped it. Then they ran a sale for the warranty at $125 so I buckled and got it.

I doubt there's much of a chance anything besides the ice maker will break in the first 5 years, but that's probably reason enough at that price. Certain credit cards will double your warranty anyway, so depending on the included version it may or may not be worth even considering.

Shopping for a washer and dryer for our new place.

Thoughts? I checked out the website BBD had recommended earlier in this thread - it recommends teh Kenmore Elite line.
We're probably looking for something stackable; we have the room to go side-by-side but in the space, it would make sense to stack.

also, can you haggle appliance prices?

Yes at local stores, not so much at bigger stores. Check to see if Sears has an outlet nearby. A lot of times you can get a really good deal for minimal cosmetic damage. Especially on things like washers and dryers that aren't going to be out for everyone to see.

Had to upgrade ours last fall when we moved. We went with the Speed Queen units (washer here, dryer here), which are like the freaking cadillacs of w/d but they have a ridiculous warranty, like 5 years on the transmission, 10 years on the motor, lifetime on the tub, etc. Not sure if they have stackable but I figured it's better to spend the money on units that can last you 20 years than have to buy sets that have a 90 day warranty and are built to break down every 5 years.

Back