• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report Is Back! NC A&T - Saturday 2 pm ACC Network

I’m pretty pleased with the minutes distribution and the rotations. In conference play, we probably need a 2-4 minutes more from everyone but Childress and 5+ minutes more from Mucius.

Dropped 10 spots in KenPom from this game. Giving up so many points to such a terrible team like A&T is really just unacceptable. Next week's tournament should tell us a lot more.

Dropped from 94 to 99. Had already dropped a few spots prior to the game based on other results this week.

Reactions: Ayo
Dropped from 94 to 99. Had already dropped a few spots prior to the game based on other results this week.
Ah, my bad. Hadn't checked the last couple days. Saw we were 89 after the first day and was kinda guessing.

NCAT probably won’t score more than 78 in a game the rest of the season.

Are we really surprised our D is horrible??? Even with more quicker longer athletes we will never play good D. Bad fundamentals year after year.

I like watching this team a lot better than last years. Lots of fluid, athletic players and nice not to watch Crawford have a brain fart and do stupid shit with the game on the line and the ball in his hands.

NCAT is not that bad. If they had some size, they would be pretty good. Their 3 D1 transfers are pretty good. This will prove to be an ok win for the Deacs. Got a lot of players time, made some correctable mistakes, and had some stretches of good play. We have several players that can make a play in the last 10 seconds of the shot clock. Mucius and Wright are going to be very good. I don’t think Lewis is far behind them. Sarr needs to step up but he is going to get points & rbs just by being there. A lot of improvement to be made on D and need to cut down on TO’s. Most of the problems on D were individual mistakes-not scheme or lack of ability. This could be a good team. We need Smart to stay healthy.

I did not see bad fundamental D. I saw young guys get beat off the dribble. I saw young guys take a play off & get burned. With our length, I would prefer less ball denial and more of a softer perimeter. Make guys shoot over a 6-6 or 6-8 guy, but deny the dribble penetration.

Managed to make it up to Winston this weekend to visit the folks and attend the game today...here are a few thoughts.

1) Deacs were -- newsflash! -- quite dominant on the glass and had nearly a 2 to 1 margin both on the defensive glass as well as the offensive glass. Of course, the Aggies weren't really attempting to fight for a lot of offensive boards, but they were quick and scrappy, and managed to out-hustle us for several loose balls when there were scrambles off the glass. The Deacs seemed to shore things up in the second half as I don't remember nearly as many instances of A&T winning 50/50 balls.

2) Brandon was in complete control and played about as efficiently as you could possible expect. Yes, the Aggies didn't pressure the ball much and fell into a lot of 2-3 and some extended 3-2 zone, but BC was decisive with the ball and kept the rock moving when past teams might get a bit stagnant trying to find soft spots in the zone to attack. I would have liked to have seen him drive a bit more, but he was judicious with the ball, picked his spots, hit his open looks -- only once was there any discernible hitch in a contested 3-ball release, which he missed -- and got his mates involved with only 1 turnover. And as usual, automatic from the line.

3) Hoard is the real deal Holyfield and will most certainly only need a year to get drafted. However, he didn't show off his outside shooting today -- he didn't really need to with Chill, Wright, CB & even Ike, hitting from deep pretty consistently -- but the one long ball he attempted looked pretty fugly to me. He might have not had the best grip on it I'm not sure cuz he was on the opposite side of the floor. So if he's not an obvious lottery pick, he might could end up coming back to polish his jumper next year. So hopefully for us, he has many games like today where he dominates on takes to the hoop, flashes to the lane and put backs off the offensive glass thanks to those long arms and gazelle like slashes into the paint. Oh, and he also took one defensive rebound coast to coast for a beautiful and mesmerizingly easy scoop-in, floating layup. The dude is almost so smooth that I think he himself forgets how athletic he can or needs to be to finish a take to the iron. And last, but not least, he has excellent vision and can make some lovely passes over the D when working the diagonal passes to a flashing cutter or the high-low with Sarr.

4) Now Mr. "O" the "French fry" as he is still quite the lanky string bean. Although it did seem apparent that he put some pounds on. His legs seemed stronger in a "sturdy" guard the post kind of way, but he seemed a bit heavy-footed to me on put backs and post-up flashes for turnaround hooks and pop outs along the baseline. Maybe it was an off day, or maybe it was the relative athleticism playing alongside Hoard and Mucius, but I'm not sure he's adjusted to the extra weight yet. He definitely lacks explosion and thus struggles getting clean lay-ins or put backs off the glass. Lucky for him he is long and draws lots of fouls for trips to the line so he can take advantage of that steady stroke of his. I mean, if he can "struggle" this much and still score 12 with 9 boards, we'll be quite happy. Question is, can he do it consistently against bigger and stronger players in the ACC?

5) I LIKE IKE...A LOT!! Instant energy off the bench and surprisingly polished offensive game. He was aggressive and confident, especially early in the 1st half when he spelled Hoard for a few minutes. Scored 7 points in what seemed like the blink of an eye and demonstrated a confident and quick release on the open corner jumper for 3 and super quick explosion on the "UCLA" cut where he uses his long arms to get right to the tin before the D can react. He may turn out to be the key to our season as he will help pick up the slack when Wright struggles and Chaundee has to play the 2 and Ike comes in to play the 3 or even some 4 against longer teams. I won't do a separate section for Chaundee, as he was steady Eddie out there with his typically sound on the ball defense, consistent hustle and clutch shooting. Obviously he will struggle to dominate against a team with quick, "jitterbug" type back courts like A&T, but he made few mistakes and knocked down a couple of back-breaking threes in the late 2nd half. Just wish Danny would run him off more screens and curls for mid-range jumpers between the elbow and the baseline 12-footer.

6) Other nuggets worth noting: Jamie Lewis is real, not a unicorn!! He spelled BC a couple of times playing 2 or 3 minute spurts, the longest of which was win Brandon had to go out to nurse a cramp. He's a sound ball-handler but seemed a bit reticent and uncertain of himself with the ball. He wasn't stiff or fumbling the ball away, but he just seemed to be feeling things out and just playing it safe. Thus he seemed a bit slow, even with his side to side dribble -- there weren't a lot of opportunities for drives or pressuring the lane anyway due to the zone -- and his one deep ball seemed very tentative, but the stroke was good. Didn't seem as bad on defense but they didn't have much trouble shooting over him. Caveat: A&T's guards were much more athletic and "springy" on the whole. I think Lewis will be fine as he works himself into his role assuming he stays healthy.

7) Coaching: overall the game plan was okay, and they seemed to attack the zone well in the 2nd half after being a bit tentative in the first half. They scored in a host of ways, but it felt as though they could have run more motion screens to free up Ike and Sharone for cuts and curls into the lane for either mid-range pull ups or takes to the cups. IOW, I would have liked to have seen them utilize their length and quickness on the wing a bit more rather than just rely on their obvious advantage on the offensive glass. We had a good bit of success getting second chance oppos, but we didn't convert enough of them easily. We were luckily good from the line when fouled, but to put a team like this away sooner, and by 20-24 points, you need to convert these O-glass bunnies. Sarr still needs to work on going up strong without losing the ball or having it slapped away. Or just keep the damn thing over your head and go up for the finger lay-in. Hoard and Sarr should ultimately have a communication advantage, but Danny needs to impress upon them to keep talking and get the chatter-francaise going. It was as quiet as a tomb in that building at times and I rarely heard any loud chatter among Deacs on either end of the floor. Although I wasn't ever closer than the last row of the lower level when I moved down to half court for the 2nd half. Defensively, still too many lapses and help defense \ rotation is either poor or tentative. They showed a desire to extend the match up zone D, but then never really showed any commitment to trapping when it was there for the taking. Also, too many times they relaxed after the initial stop or M2M pressure, only to have the A&T guy step back and drain a three. At the end of the game against a small team, Danny MUST impress upon them to push out and force a dribble drive and then rotate help if necc rather than sag back and let them jack a three. Surprisingly, A&T didn't hack and jack down the stretch to extend the game and I imagine their coach new he didn't have enough "bullets" in the fouling chamber to even do so.

Final thought: there IS ENOUGH talent, skill and shooting to exceed expectations this season. But without a better effort defensively with more communication and overall cohesion of concept, they will not realize that potential. And by potential, I mean the potential to win 17-18 games and go 10-2 / 7-9 in the ACC. They might even have the talent to win 8 or 9 if things break their way and they have more good luck than bad. HOWEVER, the big caveat to that is they need not only that same effort on the glass, but they MUST learn how to talk and play help defense without giving up so many open 3's. That's the rub almost every year in DeaconLandia but there IS enough raw talent, athleticism and IQ to make it happen. The flip side there is nary any depth -- Torry is pretty good for what he brings but he's not going to win many games for you if Chill goes down or Sharone hits the inevitable frosh slump -- and they play soft. But that is correctable with individual coaching instruction and leadership from Brandon. And I saw lots of "in the ear" chatter and admonishing after dead ball whistles and missed chances by another Deac. I think BC can help some of these young guys continue to find their comfort zone as their roles evolve or solidify. Assuming Danny does a good job of defining those roles and expectations. But BC was definitely doing just that and pointing out things a younger player could have done differently after even a good play when maybe they got fouled or when it should have been an easy put back or easier pass / play.

I know that's a lot and I apologize for the rambling wall of text, but I wanted to put these first impressions down "on paper" for posterity. I may tend to be the ultimate pragmatic pessimist, but I will concede that there is more there than I expected as far as potential and talent. They don't have a lot of margin for error, and there will be stumbles for sure, but this is a good small group of complimentary players who can exceed expectations if they continue to gel as a team and play ego-less basketball with the requisite hustle and intangibles needed to make noise in the "middle tier" of the ACC. IOW, they can avoid being basement dwelling fodder for struggling teams if they can stay healthy and they continue to generate open looks without a lot of hero ball (of which there was very little today). That is my raw and honest assessment based purely on what I saw today.

PS -- apologies to Sharone as I didn't really mention him specifically, but if he's been reading, he knows I'm high on him and I think he will be a very good player for us for years to come. He has a great "tool bag" of skills and athleticism to present match up problems for the other team. If that outside shot is falling against better competition, look the hell out. We might be the "diaper dandy" upstarts of the ACC. Time will tell.

Yeah, he was part of the sub when Mucius came in for Hoard and he came in for Wright I believe, and I was stunned he went in. Looked slower than molasses and never came close to shooting the ball. He won't help for at least a season or two. Good size and physique -- and supposedly can shoot his piss from anywhere -- but he ain't ready to play Div. 1 ball IMHO.

Taking into consideration rankings and expectations coming in, I am most impressed by Sharone Wright. That wasn't necessarily a huge 3 he hit there at the end, but it was clutch. If he can be a glue guy who can play D and sometimes score 4 pts sometimes score 15 - sort of like Chaundee, that is going to be really really huge for us. I do think we need one more guy to show out. Maybe it is Lewis, but I am thinking we don't have that guy on the roster, unfortunately. I am certainly concerned about our rim protection and our production against elite competition at 5. I think we will hold our own at every position except the 5.

I do hope I am wrong on that. I did not expect to be reflecting on how much we would miss Doral. But I think we are going to ...

Felt better about this game than the B-A one. Brandon was very efficient. However, O.Sarr was not good on defense and his rebounding was weak. Also, we couldn’t defend the perimeter. Big fixes are needed. Wish Torry had gotten more minutes.

Felt better about this game than the B-A one. Brandon was very efficient. However, O.Sarr was not good on defense and his rebounding was weak. Also, we couldn’t defend the perimeter. Big fixes are needed. Wish Torry had gotten more minutes.

Yeah I think Torry is pretty quick, plays hard and gives us some added experience out there. Mucius will be a stud for us and I think Wright will be a very good player also. Hoard is a pro but we will only have him one season. Defensively we are longer and quicker but still do not communicate on the court very well but that is not surprising since we have added so many new pieces. Lewis looked kind of slow and confused which is expected since he has played very little basketball in a year and a half. I would like to see Okeke get a few more minutes, as he is a man inside, but unfortunately has catcher mitts for hands. Sarr just needs to adjust to his new role which will take some time but he is going to be very good for us. I thought Brandon looked very controlled and judicious in his shots and will be VERY important to any success we have

I kept thinking about the last several seasons when we were so over-matched athletically. We had to play guys who were too slow and could not lift, even though they may have played hard. This team is exceptionally athletic in comparison. We can play very quick players who can play around the rim. Now, how well do they play basketball? Mucius and Wright are going to be fun to watch, I think. And Hoard is the kind of player we don't get often. We need to enjoy him while he's here.

Mucius is super quick. Sharone played better in the second half. Lewis was not a factor. Brown was solid but we need more from him. The Conway trip will tell us a lot.

I realized while watching the game today that this is the first time in the last 17 years that I have no hope for Wake Forest basketball. This season, at its best, has the potential to be better than expected and maybe land us in the NIT. Knowing that Hoard will only be here one year and that we have essentially no one coming in next year is demoralizing. I’d like to be hopeful for the coming years because there is some young talent on the team, but the fact that we have whiffed on next years class is such a bummer.

I never thought I’d feel this way about Wake hoops.

Back