• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Notre Dame - Saturday 4 pm - LJVM - RSN

Haven't seen ND mentioned as on the bubble anywhere, but at 18-10 (9-8) in the ACC, they seem to have just as good of an argument as NCSU for being the 5th ACC team in the NCAAs.

If NCSU/ND/Syracuse could get over .500 in the ACC and not shit the bed in the ACC tourney, I'd have to think they'd get a look.

Point being that ND should be plenty motivated for this one.

Quad 1 games:

NC State 5-3 - currently near the bubble

Notre Dame 1-6 - not close to the bubble from what I hear.

I got a good laugh when during the Duke game, Cory Alexander was talking about potential All-ACC selections and said “Nobody is talking about John Mooney.”

Oh they will be tomorrow!

Quad 1 games:

NC State 5-3 - currently near the bubble

Notre Dame 1-6 - not close to the bubble from what I hear.

Yeah, it's not a particularly compelling ND resume at the moment... But if they win the last 3 in the ACC, that'd get them to 21-10 (12-8) with a win over FSU (playing them next week @ ND). Would be tough to keep them out, I think.

Remaining schedule: @WFU (48%), vs. FSU (41%), vs. VT (73%)

Yeah, but winning at WFU does little for them and beating Va Tech at home does even less. Gotta win all three to have a shot .

If the tournament started today (which it doesn't) they'd be in line for a bye then a game against Wake/Va Tech (which again doesn't help them) then a game against Duke which they'd probably lose.

Meanwhile everyone is saying the B1G is getting 10 teams.

Mike Brey leads the Fighting Irish into LJVM for the Deacs' Senior Day on Saturday afternoon. Here is an update on ND since WF visited Mayor Pete's hometown on January 29 (the prior KP Report is linked here: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32053-KP-Report-Notre-Dame-Wednesday-7-pm-ACCN):

Season update: ND has been rolling since the last WF/Irish match up going 7-2 in conference to raise the overall record to 18-10 (9-8). Currently, ND and Cuse are tied for 5th place in the conference. Upon closer review, Irish's current 7-2 run in not as impressive as it initially appears as those seven wins came against: #95 WF (Chaundee did not play), #91 UNC (by 1 -- the Heels blew 15 point lead late), #113 Pitt, #73 GT, #171 BC (BC led for most of the game, ND won on Rex Pflueger shot at the buzzer), and #106 Miami. ND's best win over that stretch was a 4 point win at Clemson, when Clemson's leading scorer Aamir Simms did not play. ND's style remains the same: play solid offense (#3 in the ACC in offensive efficiency) and crappy defense (#14 in defensive efficiency). John Mooney scored 22 points and hauled down 12 boards in last night's win at BC. While Mooney is ND's leading scorer and rebounder, all 7 of the players in the ND rotation have scored double figures at least once over their recent winning stretch.

KP Projection: KP predicts a 74-73 WF win. History says the game will be close. Other than a 34-point blow out loss to Duke, ND's ACC road games have been decided by: 1, 1 (in OT), 4, 4, 5 and 1. If WF's does have an 6 to 12 point lead in the final minutes, you can reliably count on the Deacs giving up open threes and taking awkward late possessions shots to ensure that the game is decided on the final possession. Even so, really like WF to win on Saturday as WF is the better team, Chaundee is back and ND is playing consecutive road games after a fortunate win last night. All of that said, Manning's teams have a habit of throwing up on themselves after a conference win: WF has not won back to back ACC in games in three years. WF has lost its last 12 ACC games after a conference win - just an impossibly bad streak after what should be a positive moment to build-upon. Just mind-boggling how poorly WF plays after a little success (most recently, a mediocre Miami team blew out the Deacs after the UNC win), and Tuesday's win was bigger than any of WF's previous 11 wins. While conventional wisdom says never go against a streak as you can lose multiple times and win only once, I will take the Deacs to beat the Irish on Saturday.

I admit don't understand this KP stuff....

Wake is ranked behind UNC ? And he has Wake ranked ahead of Pitt and BC ?

A big reason we beat Duke was getting 50 takes at the charity stripe. Hope the same crew does the ND game.

Do you think Wake will get over/under 30 FTA's vs ND ?

Out of 353 teams, ND is #1 in the nation in not fouling their opponents. ND's opponents only get 12% of their points from the FT line, which is also #1.

It's because ND plays really soft D. The first time, WF played ND that WF got played the Deacs went to the line 21 times, which is the most of any Irish opponent (Chlidress was 9 for 10). No chance WF gets to the line 30+ times tomorrow.

Notre Dame isn't getting in the NCAAs unless they beat FSU next week, and then win at least two more in the ACC Tourney (and one of those two needs to come against either Duke, FSU or L'ville). They have beaten nobody this season. Their best win is a one point over Cuse (who ND split with).

Out of 353 teams, ND is #1 in the nation in not fouling their opponents. ND's opponents only get 12% of their points from the FT line, which is also #1.

It's because ND plays really soft D. The first time, WF played ND that WF got played the Deacs went to the line 21 times, which is the most of any Irish opponent (Chlidress was 9 for 10). No chance WF gets to the line 30+ times tomorrow.

Notre Dame isn't getting in the NCAAs unless they beat FSU next week, and then win at least two more in the ACC Tourney (and one of those two needs to come against either Duke, FSU or L'ville). They have beaten nobody this season. Their best win is a one point over Cuse (who ND split with).

Danny's one and only game plan should flourish then.

Probably a couple of different threads this could go on, but ...

Quantifying apathy with attendance numbers for the Joel.

Nice article! Lots of depressing stats though.

This 31st season of Wake Forest home games at the Joel will be the 14th, and the 10th straight, with an average attendance under 10,000 — and it’s a lock to be the lowest ever.

Wake Forest has lost more home games in the past 10 seasons than it did in the first 21 of playing at the Joel. The Deacons’ home record from 1989 to 2010, under coaches Odom, Skip Prosser and Dino Gaudio, was 269-58; the home record in the tenures of [Redacted] and Manning is 92-69.

Bet the folks at DePaul can relate to what has befallen Wake Forest basketball....

DR has posted on the WF sports Facebook page in response to Conor’s article.

Does anyone have 4 extra tickets for the game today. Grandkids coming from Charlotte.

Our plans just changed - so I have 4 tickets and a Parking pass in Pepsi lot for $40 for all. I can meet near Wake.

Back