• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Syracuse Orange - Saturday Night - 8 pm - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our Deacs travel up to Central New York State to battle 75 year-old Jim Boeheim and his Orange. Here is the breakdown of Cuse:

This season: Cuse, a bubble team (#53), holds a 13-9 (6-5) record heading into the second week of February. The Orange have not accomplished much so far in 2019: 0-3 against top 50 teams; 5-8 against top 100 teams. That said, Cuse has played better of late winning 5 of their last 7. At home Cuse is 9-4 in the Dome. This is a good spot for the Orange as they have had a week off after losing at home to Duke (97-88) last Saturday, while WF travels from L'ville after blowing a big half time lead on Wednesday night.

Offense and defense scouting report: The Orange rate #4 in the ACC in offensive efficiency. They are solid across the board in all offensive categories among ACC teams: #2 in fewest TOs, #4 in 2 PT FG%, #3 in FT%. The Cuse is not as strong defensively (#8 in defensive efficiency among ACC squads). Despite playing zone, Cuse is #14 in the ACC in 2 PT defense (52%), and the Orange are also vulnerable on the offensive glass as opponents rebound 31% of their missed shots.

The lineup: As always, Cuse is long, but plays a short rotation. The starters: 6-1 Joe Girard (frosh and getting better), 6-6 Buddy Boeheim (40% from 3, when he is hitting from deep, Cuse usually wins), 6-6 Elijah Hughes (ECU transfer - leading scorer), 6-10 Marek Dolezaj (has a season high 22 against Duke last Saturday) and 6-10 Bourama Sidibe (limited offensively; shoots 45% from the FT line). The only bench player with regular minutes is freshman 6-7 Quincy Guerrier. Boeheim (40%), Hughes (36%) and Girard (34%) are Cuse's only 3 point threats.

The bottom line: KP projects a 79-72 Cuse win. Cuse bottomed out after 67-63 home loss to VT on January 7. After that game, Cuse was 8-7 (1-3), and looked like an NIT team at best. Cuse then went on a 5 game ACC winning streak, before losing by 1 at Clemson and at home to Dook. Cuse really needs a win to recapture momentum and climb back into the top 4 of the ACC standings. Deacs played really well for a half at elite L'ville on Wednesday, but the 2nd game of a road trip after a tough loss is a difficult spot. The Deacs are playing a little better now that Chaundee is back, and if this game was at WF, think WF might win, but don't see WF winning at Cuse. Since joining the ACC in 2013-4, the Orange are 6-1 against WF (3-0 at the Dome). Will be 7-1 by about 10 pm Saturday night.

Last edited:
Of all the dumb things that Manning has said, his admission after last season's Cuse game that they had intentionally gotten trapped in the corner, and that it had worked against Wake's walk-ons in practice; but that it turned out that Cuse was a lot taller, quicker, and more athletic, may very well be the dumbest. In fact, it may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard any coach say. He really should have been fired right then and there for that alone.

So having said that, what are the chances that we try it again? Pretty high, right?

Cuse plays a very aggressive zone that forces you to shoot threes, we shoot 34.% from three, any questions?

Girard lights us up with 5+ 3s.

I have no confidence that we can beat the 2-3 with our roster. And coach.

Of all the dumb things that Manning has said, his admission after last season's Cuse game that they had intentionally gotten trapped in the corner, and that it had worked against Wake's walk-ons in practice; but that it turned out that Cuse was a lot taller, quicker, and more athletic, may very well be the dumbest. In fact, it may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard any coach say. He really should have been fired right then and there for that alone.

So having said that, what are the chances that we try it again? Pretty high, right?

LOL so bad.

I missed this last year, is this real? The highest level of basketball I played was high school and even I know that's probably the one place you don't want to be. What productive thing could even come out of that even if you don't turn the ball over?

The more I think about this, the more I'm terrified that it is real. This is the game by far in which "paint touches" is a viable offense strategy almost alone, and Danny now wants to go to the corner? Holy shit man, I thought he was just a bad communicator, he's dumb?

Hey guys, Syracuse REALLY wants to trap us in the corners. Let's do exactly that!! They'll never see it coming! I'm a game planning GENIUS!!!

Hey guys, Syracuse REALLY wants to trap us in the corners. Let's do exactly that!! They'll never see it coming! I'm a game planning GENIUS!!!

Dumber than actually trying it is publicly admitting that you tried it.

Dumber than actually trying it is publicly admitting that you tried it.

DO YOU HAVE PROOF THAT HE'S DUMB BECAUSE I TALKED TO SOMEONE WHO WORKED WITH HIM AND THEY SAID HE'S A GENIUS!! YOU CAN'T JUDGE HIM BY WHAT HE SAYS AND DOES!! YOU DON'T KNOW HIM!!!

I missed this last year, is this real? The highest level of basketball I played was high school and even I know that's probably the one place you don't want to be. What productive thing could even come out of that even if you don't turn the ball over?

The more I think about this, the more I'm terrified that it is real. This is the game by far in which "paint touches" is a viable offense strategy almost alone, and Danny now wants to go to the corner? Holy shit man, I thought he was just a bad communicator, he's dumb?

There was no need for that question mark.

Game is almost 1/4 over and there aren't any posts.

Back