• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: UNCC 49ers -- ESPNU Sunday 6pm

This. Manning was THOROUGHLY out schemed, out smarted, out coached, out played. Manning would be a middling middle school coach. He has to be the most inept coach I've ever seen. His teams consistently look like a rec league group. It's all one-on-one, dribble, dribble, dribble - turnover, turnover, turnover. When all else faisl just jack up a 3 and run done court to get back-doored for a layup.

That is what is so frustrating. We took a team to overtime that was so much better coached than us it's crazy. I know with our current talent level, that even great coaching probably wouldn't make this great team, but with good coaching we could have a decent team and certainly not losing to Charlotte and needing a buzzer beater to beat a team like Columbia.

I keep chuckling in my head about Massoud hitting the 3 to send it to OT.

I mean, what goes on in Manning's head?

"Need a big shot here... Better bring in that new guy that has barely played all game. He's got stones."

<shot goes in>

"Great coaching Danny... Let's bury him on the bench again for the rest of the game. Now what can I do to sabotage OT? Johnson is too obvious... Let's have June handle the ball a lot more than he ever has before."

Massoud hit a hell of a shot for sure. I love that kid and hope he sticks around. As soon as I saw him coming in, I knew the play was for him. But even then, it wasn't even that good of a play. Massoud's shot was contested. The only reason we went to OT was because of Childress hitting a three before Massoud's. No team game, all one on one plays. We are SO EASY to defend. UNCC played some pretty good, scrappy defense. The forced a lot of jump balls.

Childress infuriated me at the end. I know some on here think that shot was ok, but it wasn't. Team mates were not in position to rebound. Either Childress never listens to Manning, or no one knows what they're supposed to be doing. Either way, that will result in an L.

I am left wondering...

What the hell did Danny do sitting on Self's bench for all those years?
How did Tulsa ever make the tournament with Danny? Did he inherit several pro prospects?

Given his resume, it almost seems intentional to be this bad. It would take effort, and a conscious choice.

Manning must be a dook mole planted by rat face. :mad:

Yep, he's trying his best every season to lose at least 20 games.... and still get paid.

Massoud hit a hell of a shot for sure. I love that kid and hope he sticks around. As soon as I saw him coming in, I knew the play was for him. But even then, it wasn't even that good of a play. Massoud's shot was contested. The only reason we went to OT was because of Childress hitting a three before Massoud's. No team game, all one on one plays. We are SO EASY to defend. UNCC played some pretty good, scrappy defense. The forced a lot of jump balls.

Childress infuriated me at the end. I know some on here think that shot was ok, but it wasn't. Team mates were not in position to rebound. Either Childress never listens to Manning, or no one knows what they're supposed to be doing. Either way, that will result in an L.

It was a horrible shot and a horrible decision. I'm convinced that one of the reasons Manning wasn't terminated last year was because of the deference to Randolph and to allow him to coach his son in his last year. I also believe that they've essentially allowed this team to become the Brandon show. He's an okay player but he shouldn't be playing like he's the stud of the team. That alley oop to the wide open Sarr last night have been the worst alleyoop pass I've ever seen.

I really preferred Brandon when he was hunting his shot as often. And I feel like that behavior was enabled in his sophomore year, was cemented last year, and this year is just going to be the Childress show for better or worse.

It was a horrible shot and a horrible decision. I'm convinced that one of the reasons Manning wasn't terminated last year was because of the deference to Randolph and to allow him to coach his son in his last year. I also believe that they've essentially allowed this team to become the Brandon show. He's an okay player but he shouldn't be playing like he's the stud of the team. That alley oop to the wide open Sarr last night have been the worst alleyoop pass I've ever seen.

I really preferred Brandon when he was hunting his shot as often. And I feel like that behavior was enabled in his sophomore year, was cemented last year, and this year is just going to be the Childress show for better or worse.

Yes "I'm a senior, I carry this team" mentality is poison to a TEAM SPORT LIKE BASKETBALL. He's too selfish. Period. I lost count on how many of his plays resulted in turnovers last night. Its the same almost every game. Yes, he hit some "big shots" but he had to because of the hole that he and his team mates had dug themselves.

I think Charlotte would win this game 6 of 10 times. They are a better team.

It was nice to enjoy a Wake basketball game for a change. The conference games should be a lot of fun.

Sarr is amazing.

The Childress dilemma is not his fault. He is playing out of position and has way too much license.

Yeah, I've said before that Childress isn't really the problem. The problem is that we don't have someone better than Childress in the backcourt.

I agree Brandon is playing out of position and he is asked to do too much given his talent level. However, that last shot had nothing to do with playing out of position or anything else, it was a dumb decision. You're down 2 points, not 3, and you've about 12 seconds left. You don't run down the court and pull up from 25-30 feet and launch it in the situation. That's the play if you've got a few seconds left and that's as far as you can advance the ball. He should be smarter than that.

He is playing out of position, but after three plus years, he should understand that there should be at least one pass per possession. In a game, the guy with the ball (in non-fast break situations) may get as many as five opportunities to either take the ball the rack or get an open jumper without passing. Brandon does this over and over again. It's not too much to ask to make at least one pass.

By not doing this, he impacts many other possessions as players aren't sure what's going to happen and aren't into the flow of the game properly. This is on Danny and Brandon. Danny shouldn't allow it, but Brandon should know better by now.

I think Brandon knew that the only other alternative was to dribble the ball off of his knee and out of bounds while trying to drive through three defenders.

What are the consequences for Brandon playing hero ball ? You're going to bench him ? Who are you going to put in ? This is a Top 10 reason why this team sucks.

This is his fourth year in the system. If he doesn't know what play the coach wants by now, whose fault is that ? Also, lots of teams are just going to put the ball in the hands of their best backcourt player in that situation and live and die with the results.

What are the consequences for Brandon playing hero ball ? You're going to bench him ? Who are you going to put in ? This is a Top 10 reason why this team sucks.

This is his fourth year in the system. If he doesn't know what play the coach wants by now, whose fault is that ? Also, lots of teams are just going to put the ball in the hands of their best backcourt player in that situation and live and die with the results.

Ehh, I completely disagree. We've allowed crazy undisplined play from our PGs for all of Manning's time now - first Crawford and now Childress. The "he's being asked to do much" and "who else can we play" arguments don't win out when it's this consistent over time and we've actually had various options. Other players need to be given a chance to actually show what they can do. Childress had 17 shots last night (9 threes), 4 assists to 6 TO's. That's just dominating the ball.

Having Sharone and Mossoud taking 3's in the last minute is prob not what coach Wooden would have drawn up, despite Mossoud actually making his 3.

Did Massoud get any shots in OT? Or was it another instance of "nice shot, now go sit down"?

Ehh, I completely disagree. We've allowed crazy undisplined play from our PGs for all of Manning's time now - first Crawford and now Childress. The "he's being asked to do much" and "who else can we play" arguments don't win out when it's this consistent over time and we've actually had various options. Other players need to be given a chance to actually show what they can do. Childress had 17 shots last night (9 threes), 4 assists to 6 TO's. That's just dominating the ball.

I just asked "What are the consequences ?" Of course he's going to keep jacking up shots.

Massoud was specifically brought in to take a three. He is a very solid shooter.

Massoud was specifically brought in to take a three. He is a very solid shooter.

Yes indeed, which begs the point why not draw up more plays for him? Short answer: we don't draw up plays.

But I digress. This is a question that people with actual basketball IQ would ask.

Massoud should be playing 20+ mpg and getting at least 4-5 threes per game.

The complete lack of fundamentals on this team is what I just hate. If nothing else, we should be fundamentally sound. Apparently Self didn't teach that at Kansas of Manning was out that day.

Back