• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- UVA Cavaliers -- 9 pm Tuesday

Pilchard

Reaction score
Tomorrow night, the Deacs take on KP #1 UVA (#3 in the polls) in Charlottesville coming off their first loss of the season. Here is a summary of the Cavs:

Record: UVA is 16-1 and 4-1 in the ACC. They have 7 wins over top 100 teams (#7 VT by 22, #16 Wisconsin by 7, #17 MD by 5, #33 FSU by 13, #47 Clemson by 20, #55 VCU by 8, #67 Dayton by 7). They are 9-0 at home.

Offense. #3 in the nation. Good at everything. They shoot well: 40% from 3 (#11), 54% from 2 (#80), 77% from the line (#9), their effective FG% is 56% (#15). UVA is #1 in the ACC in 3 point shooting (41%) and effective FG% (58%). The Hoos also do not turn the ball over on O (#3 in the nation in TO%). To the extent UVA has a weakness on O, they don't get to the line often (#220 in FTA/FGA).

Defense. #2 in the nation. UVA is a big team that is hard to shoot over. They are #1 in the nation in defending the 3 (24.6%; 24.5% in ACC games). They also defend the 2 well (45.7%). The Hoos also keep teams off the offensive glass (#24 in preventing offensive rebounds). The Cavs don't force a lot of turnovers on D.

Lineup. UVA primarily plays just 7, but they have good size: PG 6-5 Jr. Ty Jerome, SG 6-2 Jr. Kyle Guy, SF So. DeAndre Hunter 6-7, 6-9 Jr. Mamadi Diakite, C 6-10 Sr. Jack Salt. UVA primary players off the bench are 5-9 PG Kihei Clark and 6-8 Jr. Braxton Key (Bama transfer). Jerome, Guy and Hunter shoot 40% or better from 3.

Bottom Line. WF has no chance in this game. Over their last 4 home games, UVA played 3 teams ranked considerably higher than WF. UVA won those games by: 36, 13 and 22. UVA has won every home game by 13 or more except 1. This is a let-down spot for the Cavs as they are coming off two top 10 matchups (VT and Duke), but given the talent and coaching disparity, it will not matter. KP projects a 77-53 Virginia win.

It'll be the Pack Line defense vs. the Maginot Line defense. Can't wait.

The estate of Andre Maginot could sue you for libel. I think the real question is whether we have 30 points at the 30:00 mark of the 2nd half when Tony starts freely subbing. UVA won't be sending us to the line ad nauseum like Tech did. Just what I needed after the football playoffs - something to depress me further.

UVA is one of 3, yes 3, programs* in the ACC against whom WF has a winning record: 70-66

so after tonight, I figure we'll play 3 games over the next two seasons (no chance we'll meet in the ACC tournament) and UVA will pull ahead of us sometime in early 2022

*the other two programs are Clemson (99-62) and Miami (11-10); we're .500 against FSU and Pitt

UVA really did not care about basketball, at all, from the formation of the ACC through about 1970

UVA basketball flat out sucked for a long stretch in the not too distant past.

From 1997-98 through the 2010-2011 season (14 seasons), UVA was 50 games under .500 in the ACC, and made the NCAA tournament twice (losing in the first round both times). They were an utterly irrelevant basketball program.

Then, UVA hired Tony Bennett, and they have essentially kicked everyone in the conference's ass over the last 5 seasons with 3 first place regular season finishes and 2 ACC tourney titles. Also, as "bad" as UVA has been in the NCAA tournament over the last 5 years, they have made an Elite 8 and two Sweet 16s.

UVA is one of 3, yes 3, programs* in the ACC against whom WF has a winning record: 70-66

so after tonight, I figure we'll play 3 games over the next two seasons (no chance we'll meet in the ACC tournament) and UVA will pull ahead of us sometime in early 2022

*the other two programs are Clemson (99-62) and Miami (11-10); we're .500 against FSU and Pitt

UVA really did not care about basketball, at all, from the formation of the ACC through about 1970

What's an easy way to view H2H ACC records since 2011?

I still think Coach K called off the dogs on us a few weeks ago, out of respect for Manning and their time working together in various USA Basketball relationships over the years.

Bennett has no such issues. I predict an absolute embarrassment.

We are going to take a beat down. Not doubt in my mind.

Wait the wellman truthers tell me that our program is in complete shambles and it will take 20319321 years to turn it around. How can this be true? Is Bennett a Warlock? Did he make a deal with the devil? Because after 11 years of “oh heavens, yes” i think we are close to being mediocre again!

UVA basketball flat out sucked for a long stretch in the not too distant past.

From 1997-98 through the 2010-2011 season (14 seasons), UVA was 50 games under .500 in the ACC, and made the NCAA tournament twice (losing in the first round both times). They were an utterly irrelevant basketball program.

Then, UVA hired Tony Bennett, and they have essentially kicked everyone in the conference's ass over the last 5 seasons with 3 first place regular season finishes and 2 ACC tourney titles. Also, as "bad" as UVA has been in the NCAA tournament over the last 5 years, they have made an Elite 8 and two Sweet 16s.

This is going to be a very difficult game

Anyone else attending this game to watch the spectacle? Never heard of any Wake gathering prior to the game, which shouldn't surprise me, but if Deacon club has something, minding shooting me a PM?

Back