• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

I think I heard the house version added some sick leave…?
They did it in a separate bill to try and give them selves cover when it undoubtedly fails to pass the senate. GOP and Manchin et al. will come along saying its an unfair burden on business or some shit, while unironically voting to force the workers back to work.

Yeah, what the fuck are democrats doing here?

Saving our economy from being cratered?

This is a tough one...rail is an essential industry, which is precisely WHY they should have their demands met. But it's also so essential that a work stoppage would be devastating. No good solution.

Give them the damn sick time.

So how do other countries manage to have better rail systems that include commuter rail while allowing their version of sick leave?

I thought ph assured us this would be the most progressive, most pro labor president in history?

Politically at least they should pass the sick leave bill as a stand alone first and not address the rail road strike at all. If that fails in the Senate, then they should wait until the absolute last minute and only force the unions to work for 6 more weeks on the old contract under the auspice that they are buying time for more negotiations between the Unions and the Management. They should not be obviously siding with management over workers and passing a half-assed, won't-pass sick leave bill as a side effort.

I thought ph assured us this would be the most progressive, most pro labor president in history?

He is after that other President who signed sweeping sick leave legislation…oh wait.

something tells me scheduling your personal vacation time to cover for a last minute illness is a bit more difficult for train drivers than for an accountant

Why are automated trucks happening before complete automation of rail lines, low hanging fruit really.

Sounds like bullshit to me. Human eyes have a visual distance of X where automated system could have way better. Hell sync a drone or two that flies with the rail car ahead of it relaying real-time information.

i mean, we can barely get a car to tell the difference between a person and a cone in 2022 and you want to stop a mile-long train?

...rail is an essential industry, which is precisely WHY they should have their demands met. But it's also so essential that a work stoppage would be devastating.

Yeah, that’s referred to as “leverage”, the entire point of unionizing. Joe Brandon and Pelosi just clipped their nuts. If rail transportation is so vital then the industry should be nationalized, if it’s not vital enough to be nationalized then the fucking politicians should stay the fuck out of negotiations.

Back