• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

Word on the street is that the bargaining team for this unit kneecapped their own proposal (and ignored the rank-and-file in the process. Today wasn’t a good day for labor…

ETA: I see that this is covered in the comments

7 days of paid sick time works out to like 3% of your average salaries. Didn't these guys just get 29% raises? the hell is pro labor twitter complaining about? Is the reason people join unions cause they're really bad at math?

lol at Republicans with presidential ambitions voting for the sick leave bill while letting the rest of their party (+Manchin) tank it.

and double lol at Dems being out-flanked on worker rights by Marco effing Rubio.

7 days of paid sick time works out to like 3% of your average salaries. Didn't these guys just get 29% raises? the hell is pro labor twitter complaining about? Is the reason people join unions cause they're really bad at math?
are you asking in earnest or is this just more of your dumb schtick

It's not the monetary value of the sick leave that matters.

Imagine if during Covid you had to stay home sick for a week, and that the points system used to determine your pay/advancement docked you for missing those days. So you are in a position of potentially losing your job, or position within the company, because you had the audacity to be sick.

I'm not universally pro union, but once you dig in on the attendance practices being used against the rail workers it's pretty easy to be on their side.

I've said this before...their rightousness is rooted in how essential their role is, and how management will use that to force them to work through being sick, not grant vacation time, etc.

I'm not universally pro union, but once you dig in on the attendance practices being used against the rail workers it's pretty easy to be on their side.

I've said this before...their rightousness is rooted in how essential their role is, and how management will use that to force them to work through being sick, not grant vacation time, etc.
Ok, actually reading up on it, sure it sounds a bit ridiculous. But the same articles describing the policies also say that like 1/3rd of the workforce has left, so it seems like ain't no one gonna actually get fired for calling in sick

Yeah, that’s referred to as “leverage”, the entire point of unionizing. Joe Brandon and Pelosi just clipped their nuts. If rail transportation is so vital then the industry should be nationalized, if it’s not vital enough to be nationalized then the fucking politicians should stay the fuck out of negotiations.

This is the key post here. Vital industries and their workers should have the backing of government so their existence and efficiency don’t depend on how profitable they are and whether or not workers get sick.

Sign #679 in my life that we are indeed living in the matrix. Our receptionist called out sick for the 15th time this year and neither of the two backups can cover so I’ll be manning the desk on a day id otherwise be working at home. First time I’ve ever had to do it. I accept this karma for trolling this thread today

“This year” doesn’t mean as much in December. Have you asked her about what’s going on in her life that requires so many sick days? Is it actual illness, childcare, hangovers, etc.? Maybe if you show her some understanding then she would be willing to give you more advanced notice in the future?

Sign #679 in my life that we are indeed living in the matrix. Our receptionist called out sick for the 15th time this year and neither of the two backups can cover so I’ll be manning the desk on a day id otherwise be working at home. First time I’ve ever had to do it. I accept this karma for trolling this thread today

or you could just not do that and do your normal work

A lot of people call out last minute with a serious excuse because they know their advanced notice casual requests for time off won’t get approved.

A lot of people call out last minute with a serious excuse because they know their advanced notice casual requests for time off won’t get approved.
Really? I think people call in with an excuse because they just don't want to eat into their PTO time.

I think in the last 11 years, I have had one advanced PTO request denied.

Is there a history/precedent of the government stepping in and interfering in Union vs Management negotiations?

Back