• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LAST US POW RETURNED from the Taliban

jimbob

Reaction score
The GOP is yelling about talking with terrorists and breaking the law and Obama and the Dems are talking about sacred obligations to bring every soldier home.

Meanwhile the not so peacefully departed Michael Hastings published this MUST READ article 2 years ago.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607

Cynically due to article 2 powers and a far more effective use of his bully pulpit Obama will probably be very applauded for this move despite GOP outage and threats. The only way things could get sticky and bothersome is if the just saved SGRT in anyway resembles the opinionated disillusioned man he was before . Or any of those exchanged prisoners return to the foreign theatre which is obviously hard to prevent.

Interesting top I would say.

This is supposedly from a Facebook posting from someone who was stationed in the area. It does not reflect well on the "prisoner."

"I WAS THERE. I'm sick of all the lies. Here is the TRUTH, from someone on the ground. We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”.

Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable.

Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday.""

ETA: These are from two emails he sent shortly before he left the base:

I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid.

I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools. I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.

Last edited:
Have we got our dog back? If not there's still one POW left. Fuck the Taliban.

Obama also broke US law but Im sure that is ok since it was Obama who broke the law.

Obama also broke US law but Im sure that is ok since it was Obama who broke the law.

Numerous administration officials had no problem citing Article 2 powers (commander in chief ) as justification on Sunday talk shows today. There is an argument that since Cheney/Bush Article 2 powers have been abused in the the pursuit of an interminable and vague "war on terror". The argument is the overarching issue that is more directly seen in the drone debate.

Outside of Rand Paul libertarians the GOP has had little appetite or capacity for questioning the legal power of the President in foreign affairs. Though usually a liberal red herring Bush Cheney and Yoo wrote the presidential legal playbook in this arena and Obama is simply following the pervasive prevailing precedents set by his predecessor.

Obama's embrace of the policies might be disconcerting given he gained much of his base support originally from rhetorically excoriating the Bush Administration in this very area but it would be foolish to be "surprised".

Obama has become a maestro of saying one thing while doing something completely differently.

I am not certain whether this is a good move or a bad move at this point. Just don't have enough information to have a true opinion but this is certainly Obamas m.o. of following in his predecessors footprints.

This is a tough call for any president and I am quite certain we are not privy to all of the facts right now. There are a number if different scenarios that could completely change what decision would be best for our country.

This is supposedly from a Facebook posting from someone who was stationed in the area. It does not reflect well on the "prisoner."

"I WAS THERE. I'm sick of all the lies. Here is the TRUTH, from someone on the ground. We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”.

Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable.

Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday.""

I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid.

I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools. I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.

Well, isn't that convenient.

The detail in the Facebook entry is troubling. You will know the truth of a tale by the details in its rendering. It has the "stab of reality" to quote an old white literary critic.I would be interested to see if this person can be found in order to verify...if the post is a hoax it is a dam good one.

* Apologies for the double post. Thought I was editing orig.

I'm sure the next victims of the Taliban thugs we traded for this soldier who went AWOL will find some solace in knowing he's safely back home.

God I hope we put trackers on those 5 prisoners so we can go kill them or something. Read the bio on all 5. Serious, high ranking taliban. Cannot believe they got released freely. Many, many more will be in harms way because of this.

I agree that something smells here, and not just because it is generally a pretty terrible idea to trade with terrorists.

This about two things. The first is the underlying promise to our soldiers that we leave no one behind. This has little to do with the specific person and everything to d with the principle. The second is we are leaving Afghanistan. We've had these guys for over a dozen years. They are out of the loop. Do you really think the new guys will let these guys back to where they were?

What happens if we turned one of them?

This guy is likely not perfect, but what about the next one?

I agree that something smells here, and not just because it is generally a pretty terrible idea to trade with terrorists.

You mean like how Reagan armed and funded the Ayaltollah?

If the media (and not just Fox) smells some blood in the water we should get some decent coverage about what is going on here. Definitely some confusing information coming out. One of my good friends is actually close friends with the Bergdahl family, so Bowe has been in our thoughts and prayers for a while as he was in 'captivity' (or whatever happened over there). At this point I just hope that some of the things being said about him aren't true, but I we don't have a whole lot of evidence either way. I am sure if Bowe truly defected over there then it will come out in a more substantial media method than facebook.

I am certainly always glad when and American returns home from foreign captivity, but there are a lot of questions to be answered both now, and what our trade out means for the future of terrorist negotiations. Do we negotiate? Did we get Bowe back because he was causing damage as an enemy informant? Are we recognizing formal war with the Taliban in which case we are most certainly guilty of a bunch of war crimes (both Obama and Bush). A lot of questions to be answered because of this move. Will certainly be watching it unfold.

This about two things. The first is the underlying promise to our soldiers that we leave no one behind.

He walked away from his post. He walked away from his duty. He walked away from his fellow soldiers. He somewhat forfeited his right to not being left behind.

What happens if we turned one of them?

Seriously?

We've traded spies with USSR. Reagan traded guns and money for hostages.

We make a promise to every person who enlists in our military and their families. That promise is we leave no one behind.

We also have been in negotiations with the Taliban to peacefully re-enter the Afghani scene for many years. This could also be an olive branch from us.

This isn't perfect. It would be incredibly simplistic to think there's nothing going on behind the scenes here.

Back