• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of catastrophic weather events of the last few years and the reduction in air time on major networks given to climate deniers (including Fox News). Used to be that a devastating hurricane hit every 5-10 years, if not linger between. Now each hurricane season brings at least one Category 4/5 storm, and this year had multiple. It can’t be ignored any longer and there is only one reasonable explanation for the uptick in storms.

I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of catastrophic weather events of the last few years and the reduction in air time on major networks given to climate deniers (including Fox News). Used to be that a devastating hurricane hit every 5-10 years, if not linger between. Now each hurricane season brings at least one Category 4/5 storm, and this year had multiple. It can’t be ignored any longer and there is only one reasonable explanation for the uptick in storms.

that reason? you guessed it..

So nothing about this post is accurate at all.

Before Harvey made landfall it was the first major (category 3 or higher) storm to make landfall in the continental US in almost 12 years. To put that in factual perspective that was the longest period of time between landfalls by almost a full five years. The previous longest period of time between storms was 1861-1868.

But don't let the facts hit your feelings on the way out.

If only there were places that existed for hurricanes to strike other than the continental US that face Atlantic hurricanes. Plus the rest of the world exists.

dumb even for you, bruh.

If only there were places that existed for hurricanes to strike other than the continental US that face Atlantic hurricanes. Plus the rest of the world exists.

dumb even for you, bruh.

The post said hurricanes were "hitting" us multiple times a year now. This isn't true. We just finished the one of the calmest periods in US history. The post also said it was common to go 10+ years without a major storm making landfall. Also not true. Scientist claim that 10 year gaps in landfall can be expected to happen in the US once every 200 years.

I am not saying climate change isn't real, clearly it is. But the poster was doing some serious revisionist history to fit a narrative there, and that's the kind of shit rubes can point to to say "look your full of shit". So quit with the fake an anecdotal BS and stick with the facts.

The post said hurricanes were "hitting" us multiple times a year now. This isn't true. We just finished the one of the calmest periods in US history. The post also said it was common to go 10+ years without a major storm making landfall. Also not true. Scientist claim that 10 year gaps in landfall can be expected to happen in the US once every 200 years.

I am not saying climate change isn't real, clearly it is. But the poster was doing some serious revisionist history to fit a narrative there, and that's the kind of shit rubes can point to to say "look your full of shit". So quit with the fake an anecdotal BS and stick with the facts.

the facts show that extreme weather events are on the rise, worldwide. rubes point to semantics to "win" arguments all the time. doesn't make the information less valid

Since gaslighting worked so well for CovCath, might as well use the same tactic for climate change. I thought I saw 2 hurricanes in the last 3 years wreak extreme damage on the NC area where I grew up, devastating entire towns but apparently it just isn't true.

So nothing about this post is accurate at all.

Before Harvey made landfall it was the first major (category 3 or higher) storm to make landfall in the continental US in almost 12 years. To put that in factual perspective that was the longest period of time between landfalls by almost a full five years. The previous longest period of time between storms was 1861-1868.

But don't let the facts hit your feelings on the way out.

I'll push back here a bit, though in the context you use you're correct as to the inaccuracy of Tortugas' post. The context is important, though, for answering 2 questions. First, what is a "devastating" tropical cyclone, and second, what is "abnormal" about that storm?

It's not unusual at all for entire seasons to go by without an Atlantic hurricane, or multiple years to pass without a ≥ Cat 2 storm. That doesn't mean a storm isn't devastating. Harvey wasn't devastating because of its winds, which are the measure of categories. It was devastating because of the incredible amount of precipitation it brought along, and because it rapidly intensified just prior to landfall. I believe it's intensification in terms of barometric pressure drop and precipitation holding power was among the fastest and most intense ever recorded. That was due to ocean temperatures that were ~5ºF above normal. Add to that the fact that warmer air holds more moisture, which then bursts out in intense rainfall events. That's what people mean when they say "more extreme weather" in relation to climate change.

Same thing for Sandy. There's no reason a hurricane should be hitting NYC just before Halloween. Ocean temperatures were vastly above normal. But the wind speed only rates it as a Cat. 1, and yet it was the 3rd most expensive natural disaster in US history.

Burrr...Baby it’s cold outside..

You bunch of triggered fucks couldn’t find the truth with both hands.

You shameless fucking ideologues have been had once again by your Masters.

Uselful idiots to a man. Each one of you little snot nosed shits

Coldest weather system to hit the US in our lifetime = anecdotal weather patterns

One forest fire fueled by improper forest management = Undeniable proof of global warming, with the blood on Trumps hands

Do you really try to look this bad or is it you naturally?

It's not one forest fire. It's the huge number, the sizes of them and how easily they start and expand.

Just like it's not one hurricane. It's the number of hurricanes, the intensity and more.

It's climate change not only global warming. Extreme weather on all sides are the result of climate change.

The only people in the world who don't believe in man made climate change are brainwashed RWers in the US.

People that point to occurrences like the increasing polar vortexes as evidence that the earth as a whole is not warming don’t understand what they’re talking about.

the world is gonna end in a dozen years, so, let's try to enjoy what time we have

Thanks for the invite. I have some old tires and chemicals to dump on the bonfire at your party this weekend. We'll need it to keep warm during this extreme cold that the lubbers think is because of global warming. Idiots.

Back