• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legally Smoke Kills a Stoner

NASCAR announces new rule...stay in your car.

I love rules that contradict themselves:

· Shut off electrical power and, if driver is uninjured, lower window net

· Do not loosen , disconnect or remove any driver personal safety equipment until directed to do so by safety personnel or a NASCAR/Track Official

Probably not as big of a deal now that most guys have halo/head support seats, but the window net is still there for safety. I wouldn't take it down until the safety crew arrived and I was ready to get out of the car.

Last edited:
I love rules that contradict themselves:

Probably not as big of a deal now that most guys have halo/head support seats, but the window net is still there for safety. I wouldn't take it down until the safety crew arrived and I was ready to get out of the car.

I always thought the "safety" net was like the steering wheel in Indy Cars. You put it down to let the crew know you are OK (open wheel guys take the steering wheel off).

I always thought the "safety" net was like the steering wheel in Indy Cars. You put it down to let the crew know you are OK (open wheel guys take the steering wheel off).

In the day of radio's and scanners, it seems unnecessary to me, especially as much as we've learned about nets and their importance in preventing head injuries in offset collisiona that aren't necessarily the strong suit of a HANS. The Halo extends a lot further on the right of the seats than it does on the left to allow for ingress/egress. The net is a nice backstop for your head/helmet to help with offset collision injuries. Maybe it's less important within a NASCAR cockpit, but within sports cars, some orgs (including the France family owned Grand-Am, now IMSA/TUDOR and Continental Cup) are actually requiring left and right side head nets in addition to Halo seats.

Why don't they just make them RC cars and be done with the safety issues?

PS- I'm kidding...sort of

This is a story I just don't quite understand... I'm reminded of Sean Connery's line from The Untouchables, "If he brings a knife, you bring a gun..." In this case, the deceased brought finger pointing and likely harsh words against a fast moving vehicle...

Seriously, he was upset with Stewart, he gets out of his car and walks across the track directly toward Stewart's car as it comes around the track... What did he expect? Stewart to stop and discuss things? And, don't most people know not to try to cross a road with heavy traffic by the time they are no more than six?

It's not like Stewart aimed at the guy and hit him head on... I'm sure he was startled as hell to see this guy in the middle of the track. How is it Stewart is at fault here?

I am not sure if the title of this thread shouldn't be "Guy Totally Messed Up Stewart's Rear Fender"

This is a story I just don't quite understand... I'm reminded of Sean Connery's line from The Untouchables, "If he brings a knife, you bring a gun..." In this case, the deceased brought finger pointing and likely harsh words against a fast moving vehicle...

Seriously, he was upset with Stewart, he gets out of his car and walks across the track directly toward Stewart's car as it comes around the track... What did he expect? Stewart to stop and discuss things? And, don't most people know not to try to cross a road with heavy traffic by the time they are no more than six?

It's not like Stewart aimed at the guy and hit him head on... I'm sure he was startled as hell to see this guy in the middle of the track. How is it Stewart is at fault here?

I am not sure if the title of this thread shouldn't be "Guy Totally Messed Up Stewart's Rear Fender"

That might be a little bit harsh, but I think there's truth to your point. Remember on a dirt track like that, you can't turn a car like you can on pavement. To "turn" on a dirt track if you've got any speed, you go into a controlled slide, making it much harder to avoid something in front of you you're surprised to see. Just a very tragic event all the way around.

Possible news, TS' hauler has left for Atlanta, and his team removed Burton's seat molds and replaced them with TS'

Word from my Stewart/Haas connection is that TS is racing this weekend. And the AP is sending more photographers from out of town to Atlanta for the race weekend.

Word from my Stewart/Haas connection is that TS is racing this weekend. And the AP is sending more photographers from out of town to Atlanta for the race weekend.

Tell them to look both ways before crossing the street.

Back