• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legally Smoke Kills a Stoner

Why is tony Stewart racing on a dirt track at midnight the night before a nascar race anyways?

He loves these sprint cars. He was a star in Indiana in this circuit long before he debueted in Indy car. He owns several of these tracks as well.

The only vid I've seen is that one on deadspin and it's shot too tightly to really tell what happened in terms of Stewart's intent, IMO. Can't tell the context, whether a car in front swerved, etc. Perhaps another video is more conclusive. The fact that the cops don't appear to be treating it as a criminal matter leads me to think it was accidental, as I don't see why they would have any reason to go easy on him for an incident that is captured on video and was witnessed by a grandstand full of people.

Here's a similar incident that happened at Bowman Gray. Fortunately nobody was hurt in this one.

It in no way makes excuses what happened, just goes to show this situation is fairly common for those who don't necessarily follow racing.

Here's a still shot of where Ward was on the track just prior to being hit.

Even under caution, the cars are still going at least 55-60 mph. Its essentially like walking out in the middle of the road at a passing car.

QpEEjI9.jpg

Stewart at a minimum was trying to scare him / splash dirt on him. Why would he hit the throttle like that under caution? Definitely possible he was trying to swing out his back end to hit him out of frustration.

I don't buy that he didn't see him til the last second and was trying to avoid him

Stewart is now saying he won't race today.

Stewart needs to employ a public relations person and a lawyer immediately and be extremely careful of what he says. Earlier saying he was going to race today is not the message he should be sending out.

If he swerves left to avoid the guy, the back end is going swing a bit right. I don't think there was any intent to even scare the kid here, I honestly don't think Stewart even saw him until it was too late. It's really hard to see a kid in all black on a dim lit dirt track, especially when you're not expecting him to be in the middle of it. Really sad story all of this is happening.

Stewart needs to employ a public relations person and a lawyer immediately and be extremely careful of what he says. Earlier saying he was going to race today is not the message he should be sending out.

olivia-pope1-378x400.jpg

I didn't know we had so many professional race car drivers on this board. Good to know there are plenty of expert, first hand experiences we can draw on to make a definite judgement less than 12 hours after the incident.

The guy was playing Frogger on dirt race track (where one of the objectives is to get cars sliding) while cars were still going around. Absent Stewart intentionally aiming for him, which it does not look like happened, then it seems to be a clear case of Darwinism.

Good luck getting a conviction. The guy shouldn't have gotten out of his car on a racetrack

I didn't know we had so many professional race car drivers on this board. Good to know there are plenty of expert, first hand experiences we can draw on to make a definite judgement less than 12 hours after the incident.
I think your business model for operating a message board is spot on. Its a wonder it hasn't caught on before now. Going forward, everyone please post your accomplishments that qualify you to speculate on this topic prior to posting. I'll be deleting all others to appease our new overlord district.

Has Racer weighed in on this one? I know they are not BMWs but he may have some insight... Heck, he has insight on everything. Just ask him! 😜

I think your business model for operating a message board is spot on. Its a wonder it hasn't caught on before now. Going forward, everyone please post your accomplishments that qualify you to speculate on this topic prior to posting. I'll be deleting all others to appease our new overlord district.

DD rarely if ever shares his area of expertise with the board.

Back