• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

My expectations are low. Not because of his talent, but there are a lot of unknowns. He is coming off a serious injury and won't be fit for awhile. I expect he will need to be having some great practices before seeing any kind of real minutes.

Positives from ETSU play
  • His numbers were better against conference opponents than weaker occ opponents
  • Can shoot decently well from 3 (.358). TBH, I think his shooting is being oversold on the boards based on how I have seen him described. I was expecting like a .380+ shooter based on descriptions here. He would be fourth on the team right now based on last year's %. That is decent, but not a huge game changer since he is probably taking minutes mostly from Mucius/Jake?
Wow

Yeah, that article echoes what I have heard from folks I have talked to. The school of thought on these injuries has changed a bit... There is no strict timetable, it is more about hitting milestones and once it is fully healed, it shouldn't be an issue.

I think it is reasonable to expect it'll take a few weeks of practice and some game action to shake the rust off, but I am more optimistic about his potential contributions this year than most who have posted.

He's an elite rebounder for his size. He's also a very good 3 point shooter (and should be shooting them at a lower volume than he did at ETSU, which should help). And I know defensive statistics need to be taken with a grain of salt, but he had strong ratings/metrics for defense.

I expect that he'll immediately enter the rotation (5-10mpg) and I think a month from now, we'll be talking about him as our 3rd best player (behind Williams & LaRavia).

This team is in dire need of "instant offense" off the bench, and Monsanto is that guy.

Damn. If ATS’ bets were as accurate as this post, he could fund an on-campus arena.

THE RETURN AGAIN

(i hate bumping old threads and find it makes the boards super tough to read but this was worth it)
Haha, I saw the thread and thought that is a lot of pages for news that broke today. Then I opened the thread and glanced at the date and noted it was Jan. 9th so that explained the number of pages. Didn't realize it was 2022 until I read the first couple of posts. :oops:

I wish we would have had him playing on Tuesday w/State. We win that game with him in there. Excited to see his return and am hoping he stays healthy like ATS predicts! Love it!

Back