• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

List of Pretentious Shit

People who ask for a taste before ordering a flight of beer.

Also, flights of beer.

Today I received a J Peterman catalog in the mail (addressed to a person who lived in my house three owners ago). They call it an "owner's manual" instead of a catalog.

It is the most pretentious thing I have ever seen.

more pretentious than the atlantic?

In Tampa, specifically South Tampa, people put those round black and white Euro style stickers on their back windows to tell you what upscale neighborhood they live in...examples..."DI" is Davis Islands, "NSB" is "New Suburb Beautiful", "HP" is Hyde Park. Pretty pretentious. I imagine this occurs in other cities.

Also, people who put car tags with the logo of their country club on their front bumper.

Hotel restaurant I went to the other day had a "Melon of the Day" on their breakfast menu.

People who ask for a taste before ordering a flight of beer.

Also, flights of beer.

i've never seen anyone ask for a taste of beer to decide whether or not to add it to their fight. not sure if it's pretentious but it's douchey and a crappy thing to do to a server.

disagree that a flight of beer is pretentious. it's a chance to try different beers rather than asking for a bunch of samples or trying an entire pint and not liking it. i guess if someone sticks to bud and miller products any craft beer might seem pretentious.

In Tampa, specifically South Tampa, people put those round black and white Euro style stickers on their back windows to tell you what upscale neighborhood they live in...examples..."DI" is Davis Islands, "NSB" is "New Suburb Beautiful", "HP" is Hyde Park. Pretty pretentious. I imagine this occurs in other cities.

uranus-funny-joke-oval-car-window-bumper-sticker-decal-5-x-3_948656.JPG

Also, people who put car tags with the logo of their country club on their front bumper.

every time i see the "OBX" stickers i don't think "outer banks" i think "obnoxious."

Range Rovers

A woman I know was complaining yesterday that it cost her $1,200 to get a new battery and 60k mile service for her Range Rover. WTF - you bought a Range Rover solely for the price tag, and then you get upset at the accompanying costs? I think complaining about the $1,200 bill is just as pretentions as the Range Rover itself.

Odds that Biff has the MP (Myers Park) sticker on the back of the suburban?

A woman I know was complaining yesterday that it cost her $1,200 to get a new battery and 60k mile service for her Range Rover. WTF - you bought a Range Rover solely for the price tag, and then you get upset at the accompanying costs? I think complaining about the $1,200 bill is just as pretentions as the Range Rover itself.

When I was looking at new (to me cars) I did some research into maintenance costs and came across a Mercedes message board where the consensus was, "If your decision whether or not to buy a Mercedes hinges on the maintenance cost, you can't afford a Mercedes."

Range Rovers are just hot garbage. They had one of the worst service/reliability records in the industry and then the solution was sell them to an Indian car company, because that will help.

When I was looking at new (to me cars) I did some research into maintenance costs and came across a Mercedes message board where the consensus was, "If your decision whether or not to buy a Mercedes hinges on the maintenance cost, you can't afford a Mercedes."

Ehhh. People on German car message boards are probably the ones who have like a souped up 1995 M5 in their garage as their weekend driver.

The key with driving German is getting an extended warranty at purchase or a robust CPO. Its probably 2-3K more at purchase and will save you at least that much over 5-6 years.

I never know what to think of service/repair/reliability statistics for cars. I think I've heard someone say that Manufacturer X has "the best" or "the worst" record for repairs at least once.

Is there a reliable source for this information?

Back