• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

liveanddiedeac Wins the 2017 Open Championship (contest)!

Spieth was good. But not that good....

He was lucky about two things. First, they let him take 20+ minutes to take a shot. That's outrageous and unfair to other players. Even five minutes is not right after finding your ball. The second thing is it was Kuchar in second. Kuchar is a money machine but not a winner in big games.

The game is closed. Congratulations to liveanddiedeac on the victory. My picks finished -12 which was good for 11th in this game. I have been terrible at these for three years so I'll take it.

He was lucky about two things. First, they let him take 20+ minutes to take a shot. That's outrageous and unfair to other players. Even five minutes is not right after finding your ball. The second thing is it was Kuchar in second. Kuchar is a money machine but not a winner in big games.

It did take a long time but that was an unusual situation and hard to figure out his options, etc. I did not see him taking a lot of undue delay - he was literally running around.

It did take a long time but that was an unusual situation and hard to figure out his options, etc. I did not see him taking a lot of undue delay - he was literally running around.

He took over 20 minutes to take the next shot. He screwed up Kuchar's momentum. If you only have five minutes to look for a potentially lost ball, you should only have five minutes to decide on your next shot. This isn't a difficult concept.

Anyone is going to be afforded that time in that situation. He was walking through the options with the head rules official for most of that time, and after he dropped it, he hit it promptly (and poorly) and ran up to Kuchar to apologize. Kuchar was understanding. It's a non-issue.

And in retrospect, Spieth was right, and the announcers were wrong about what the smart decision was. They said he should go back to the tee, and under that scenario, the best he makes is double. And he had fresh in his memory that horrible tee shot. Whereas he takes the 1 shot penalty and drops on the range, he could hit an iron up near the green and get up and down for bogey. Which he did. So Spieth is smarter than the NBC guys.

I don't care about the NBC guys. You shouldn't be allowed to take that much time. Just like if player isn't penalized at the time of a shot/mistake, there should be no way to penalize him.

You're just plain wrong. Spieth didn't get special dispensation or anything. After the official got to the scene, he and Jordan walked through the Titleist trailers and where the ball should properly be placed. It was a complicated situation, and the same thing would have happened with any other player in that situation.

He took over 20 minutes to take the next shot. He screwed up Kuchar's momentum. If you only have five minutes to look for a potentially lost ball, you should only have five minutes to decide on your next shot. This isn't a difficult concept.

I can't believe none of the R&A, the PGA, or the USGA has put you on their rules committee.

You're just plain wrong. Spieth didn't get special dispensation or anything. After the official got to the scene, he and Jordan walked through the Titleist trailers and where the ball should properly be placed. It was a complicated situation, and the same thing would have happened with any other player in that situation.

Show me where I said Speith got a "special dispensation" or even and special treatment. I didn't. I said the process is wrong.

I can't believe none of the R&A, the PGA, or the USGA has put you on their rules committee.

It makes a lot of sense that golfer can be penalized two, three, six holes or more after finishing playing them for something he was told was OK at the time.

Maybe the NBA can enact such a rule. Midway in the third quarter an official will call time out and pull a guy off the court saying , "We looked at the first half and should have had four more fouls in the first half. That one in the 3rd quarter was actually his sixth. He's gone."

How about in baseball if the league takes away the World Series winning HR by saying the umps on the field were wrong and the guy on second had really swung not checked. That would have been strike three and the third out. Too bad, so sad. The other team wins the World Series."

You have to admit golf has some really stupid and unfair rules.

Yeah, if you've got a problem with it, then you've got a problem with the ruling body and not the player. Most players would have done the same and all should've done the same. Spieth was smart, that was the only play he could make and have a chance of getting his third shot somewhere around the green, giving him a good chance of escaping with bogey. If I were to change anything, it would be that the other player(s) could elect to go ahead and finish the hole. Kuch would've still had to wait, but I would think it would've cut his wait between shots somewhat and maybe been easier to wait on teeing off on 14 then in the fairway on 13. I mean I know there's the whole thing about keeping each other's score and Spieth couldn't keep up with what Kuch was doing while he was getting his crap straight, but we all know that crap is unnecessary really as there is an official scorer with each group.

The only problem I had with Spieth yesterday was his reaction to this tee shot on the first hole. His ball hit right in the middle of the tall stuff and he said "this is crap, you don't get rewarded for good shots." I'm a Spieth guy, but if your ball lands in the tall stuff it wasn't a good shot. Either you didn't hit the shot where you wanted to or you picked the wrong line or the ball didn't carry as far as you thought it would. All of which is on the player.

Last edited:
You're confusing 2 different situations. Yes, the Lexi decision absolutely sucked, and now Ryu has an asterisk by her major count. But the proposed rule change that'll start in a year or 2 should address that situation, and current local rules (like with Rahm at Portstewart) have ameliorated that situation. But yes, the R&A and USGA still need to address call-ins and the finality of rounds. (I personally don't object to call-ins, but don't think they should be allowed after the round and scorecard is signed.)

Yes, yesterdays situation took a long time. It involved locating the ball, Jordan discerning if the range was OB, getting the head official to the scene and then walking through the proper place to take his drop with a stroke penalty. It was 1 of the most complex situations I've seen. But it's not uncommon on tour for rules decisions to take a long time because you first have to get the official there, and then the official the player and occasionally the playing partner have to walk through the options. While yesterday may have been 1 of the longest rules decisions I've seen, under the rules Jordan is only penalized 1 shot. Period.

It makes a lot of sense that golfer can be penalized two, three, six holes or more after finishing playing them for something he was told was OK at the time.

Maybe the NBA can enact such a rule. Midway in the third quarter an official will call time out and pull a guy off the court saying , "We looked at the first half and should have had four more fouls in the first half. That one in the 3rd quarter was actually his sixth. He's gone."

How about in baseball if the league takes away the World Series winning HR by saying the umps on the field were wrong and the guy on second had really swung not checked. That would have been strike three and the third out. Too bad, so sad. The other team wins the World Series."

Yeah that bugs me too. If you call over a rules official and they gave you a thumbs up, that should be it. That makes it equitable to the whole field, as only a minority of the field is being shown on TV for there to be replays of anyway. If you don't get an official ruling and it's later deemed incorrect, than that's your own fault.

The only problem I had with Spieth yesterday was his reaction to this tee shot on the first hole. His ball hit right in the middle of the tall stuff and he said "this is crap, you don't get rewarded for good shots." I'm a Spieth guy, but if your ball lands in the tall stuff it wasn't a good shot. Either you didn't hit the shot where you wanted to or you picked the wrong line or the ball didn't carry as far as you thought it would. All of which is on the player.

I had the same thought. He was actually fairly fortunate his ball kicked right and didn't stay in the very tall/thick stuff.

Also, Matt Adams (golf channel) tweeted that Spieth's tee shot on 13 bounced off some dude's head, and had it not, it would not have been found or would have been much worse off than it actually ended up.

That has nothing to do with Spieth's play of the 13th hole you were complaining about..

And it's not the rules that are stupid. It's the application of the rules for TV groups. They've fixed that.

But you brought it up.

My problem isn't with Speith. It's that he was allowed to take that long.

You mean your problem is that the rules allowed him to take that long, right? Semantics maybe, but the way you are saying it on this page "he was allowed", "they let him", "That's outrageous and unfair to other players." seem to be criticizing the rules officials more than the rules themselves, implying that Spieth caught a break that others in that situation wouldn't have received.

But you brought it up.

But the problem is that you are wrong. That was about as complicated as it gets on the golf course and it simply took a long time to sort through it. He did his best to get through it expeditiously and that is all you can ask.

Golf is the most complicated of the major sports, as far as the situations that can arise - because you are dealing with hundreds of acres of terrain mixed with man-made structures, that can all impact the game.

Back