• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

liveanddiedeac Wins the 2017 Open Championship (contest)!

So what's he supposed to do, DQ himself because he has a complex situation?

I'm saying the rule is silly. You shouldn't have an unlimited about of time.

There is a time limit on looking for a ball. There should be the same time limit in deciding your other options.

There is a time limit on looking for a ball. There should be the same time limit in deciding your other options.

So Spieth should have sped up the process and potentially taken an illegal drop in the process. Got it.

And I'm saying you are wrong. With a set time limit how do you deal with the myriad of complicated situations that can arise? If Spieth was causing undue delay, taking too long to play the shot, wasting time, etc., the official can already deal with that within the existing rules. He would probably get a warning and then be assessed penalty shots.

Some of the rules of golf need tweaking for the modern age but this is not one.

And I'm saying you are wrong. With a set time limit how do you deal with the myriad of complicated situations that can arise? If Spieth was causing undue delay, taking too long to play the shot, wasting time, etc., the official can already deal with that within the existing rules. He would probably get a warning and then be assessed penalty shots.

Some of the rules of golf need tweaking for the modern age but this is not one.

Then why do they have a time limit to look for a ball? If a players looked for another ten minutes, he might find it.

I guess they could impose a time limit on how long a player can take to play his shot after he is made aware by a rules official of his options. However, I really don't think Spieth took an unduly amount of time to play the shot once he was made aware of his options. I think it took a long time for the official to give him his options because the situation was so unique. Normally if you miss a shot that bad, you're either out of bounds, a lost ball, or in a hazzard where the options are pretty straightforward and often don't require a rules official.

I guess they could impose a time limit on how long a player can take to play his shot after he is made aware by a rules official of his options. However, I really don't think Spieth took an unduly amount of time to play the shot once he was made aware of his options. I think it took a long time for the official to give him his options because the situation was so unique. Normally if you miss a shot that bad, you're either out of bounds, a lost ball, or in a hazzard where the options are pretty straightforward and often don't require a rules official.

RJK - see above. Finding a ball is different - the 5 minute rule is arbitrary but basically they decided that if you can't find it in 5 minutes then tough luck - at that point it probably isn't anywhere that you want to find it anyway.
The problem with the Spieth situation is the complexity of his options with the line of sight question, the potential OB in the practice area, etc. - he had to wait for the official and then find out what his options were. If you put an arbitrary limit on the time that can take you could run up against it, due to no fault of the player, and then what?

Back