• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOL at the IOC

How do putting stats compare between men and women?

How do putting stats compare between men and women?

"The best male putters take about half a stroke less per round on the greens than their female counterparts. If that doesn't sound like a major skill difference, consider that the men play on faster surfaces with more contour and tougher hole locations. Go farther down the putts-per-round list and the gap gets wider -- more than a full shot for players ranked 100th, and almost two shots at No. 150."

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/short-game/putting/2010-10/putting-matthew-rudy

Clubhead speed allows even the average male pro to hit shots that most female pros aren't capable of.

Yup. And this is why I think Lexi Thompson could become a superstar if she can improve her short game. I watched her on a few holes at the International Crown this past Summer. On a par 5 with water all the way down the right, she drew an iron (when everyone else was hitting a hybrid running it up the left side) over the edge of the water and stopped it 3' from the pin. On the next hole, a short par 3, Christie Kerr hit it to the back fringe and it stayed there. Lexi hit it to almost the same spot but her ball spun back 30' downhill to right next to the pin. Lexi is as long as some of the shorter guys like Zach Johnson and Chris DiMarco, can spin it like a guy and hit shots that no one else in the women's game can hit.

Chris, while I agree generally that PGA players are slightly better putters than LPGA players, Inbee Park is as good a putter as anyone out there and cans as many 10-30' putts as anyone.

Clubhead speed allows even the average male pro to hit shots that most female pros aren't capable of.

LK is there significant difference in the R&D for equipment designed for women. I would imagine there is.

LK is there significant difference in the R&D for equipment designed for women. I would imagine there is.

Of course there is. An equipment company is going to sink the bulk of their R&D budget into equipment for the majority of their customer base. Clubhead technology isn't going to matter much from male to female players at the elite level. What will matter is the shafts being put into those clubs. There are so many more options out there for guys.

I mean, even ignoring the fact that PGA Tour greens are typically much, much more difficult than LPGA tour greens are, you only have to hit the 27th best putter in the LPGA to get to a 1.8 putts per GIR rating. The PGA Tour had 140 guys under 1.8 last year.

Tiger money has simply changed the men's game more than the women's. The talent all the way through the Web.com tour is just unreal now in men's golf. Women's golf just isn't in the same universe.

I mean, even ignoring the fact that PGA Tour greens are typically much, much more difficult than LPGA tour greens are, you only have to hit the 27th best putter in the LPGA to get to a 1.8 putts per GIR rating. The PGA Tour had 140 guys under 1.8 last year.

Tiger money has simply changed the men's game more than the women's. The talent all the way through the Web.com tour is just unreal now in men's golf. Women's golf just isn't in the same universe.

True. But the LPGA is in way better shape now than it was 5 years ago. When the recession hit and Sorenstam and Ochoa retired, they lost a bunch of tournaments and had no real stars. The new commish has done a great job essentially combining the tours some and adding a number of events. That and Wie actually playing good golf (despite the strange putting style), and the emergence of folks like Lewis, Lexi, Ko, Petterson, Tseng and Inbee over the last few years have combined to make the women's game much better than it was.

Of course there is. An equipment company is going to sink the bulk of their R&D budget into equipment for the majority of their customer base. Clubhead technology isn't going to matter much from male to female players at the elite level. What will matter is the shafts being put into those clubs. There are so many more options out there for guys.

So LPGA players are getting the same head, but they're not getting the shaft that the guys have.

True. But the LPGA is in way better shape now than it was 5 years ago. When the recession hit and Sorenstam and Ochoa retired, they lost a bunch of tournaments and had no real stars. The new commish has done a great job essentially combining the tours some and adding a number of events. That and Wie actually playing good golf (despite the strange putting style), and the emergence of folks like Lewis, Lexi, Ko, Petterson, Tseng and Inbee over the last few years have combined to make the women's game much better than it was.

Yeah definitely. They've done a great job. They just won't ever have the kind of depth or skill that the popularity of the PGA Tour creates.

Just look at the developmental tours. The #1 money winner on the Symetra Tour played 16 events and won $75,000. I'm not even sure if that covers travel and entry fees.

40 Web.com tour players made at least $100,000, with the top 10 all at $250k or higher. And that doesn't even count the finals where the winner took home another $250,000. Plus the money available from sponsors and investors is massively skewed towards the men. It just breeds higher quality players in every aspect of the game.

Somewhat serious question... Why aren't women better at golf?

Bc if you are a male that makes the PGA you are considered a baller. If you are a woman that plays golf on a team level past HS, then you are considered a rug muncher. Not like a softball level confirmed rug muncher, but a she definitely consideres munching rug rug muncher.

Back