• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOL at the IOC

Real football is by far the greatest sport and there isn't even a close runner up.

:squint:

Disagree, and I like golf a lot.

The greatest sport is probably soccer (and I'm not exactly a soccer fan) or track & field. There is something to be said for contests where any and everyone can compete at any point.

I would argue that rugby has the largest variety of athletes on the field at one time and has 0 barriers to entry. Or at least the same barriers as soccer does.

Individual 72 stroke play. In other words the same format we see for every other pro golf event. The format should involve some form of team match play. I personally think it should be similar to the ncaa golf format: 54 holes of stroke play to determine an individual champ as well as team scores counting to cut the field down to 8 teams to square off in match play.

Exactly. I don't fee like looking it up, but they are also limiting the amount of players per country to like 3, and using World Rankings to determine qualification. So, we are going to end up with some random Asian/South American's that are ranked #800 in the world and couldnt compete on the Tarheel Tour playing in the Olympics and getting destroyed by major championship winners in a 72 hole tournament.

Exactly. I don't fee like looking it up, but they are also limiting the amount of players per country to like 3, and using World Rankings to determine qualification. So, we are going to end up with some random Asian/South American's that are ranked #800 in the world and couldnt compete on the Tarheel Tour playing in the Olympics and getting destroyed by major championship winners in a 72 hole tournament.

It's 4 players and our current 4 would be Bubba, Kuchar, Furyk and Fowler. There was talk of a provision for any player ranked in the top 15 to be included, even if their country already has four other golfers.

I assume this is about $$$?

It would be impossible to overstate my lack of interest in Olympic golf. I suppose we should prepare ourselves for Olympic NASCAR....

After what the Ryder Cup has become since 1991, not making Olympic golf a team event is so dumb.

So, we are going to end up with some random Asian/South American's that are ranked #800 in the world and couldnt compete on the Tarheel Tour playing in the Olympics and getting destroyed by major championship winners in a 72 hole tournament.

That is pretty much par for the Olympics, think Jamaican Bobsled team and countless other examples.

What do you consider the greatest sport?

sport or game? for the record, i consider golf to be a sport but assuming you're using the words interchangeably I guess I would consider soccer simply for its simplicity in terms of rules and objective.

sport or game? for the record, i consider golf to be a sport but assuming you're using the words interchangeably I guess I would consider soccer simply for its simplicity in terms of rules and objective.

So we're on the same page here.

After what the Ryder Cup has become since 1991, not making Olympic golf a team event is so dumb.

The Ryder Cup is EXACTLY why Olympic Golf is dumb. It is the most elitist sport out there. That why its the US versus ALL of Europe. It takes golfers from 20 countries to be competitive with the US. It would be US vs UK & Spain over and over. Most countries would have one Hooters tour guy and 3 dudes that learned how to play last week. Might as well not even field a team.

Also, I am a golfer and golf is Barely a sport. Requires slightly more athleticism that curling.

Back