• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOL at the IOC

Pretty sure Coca-cola played a big role in getting the games to Atlanta so criticizing sponsors seems strange.

Pretty sure Coca-cola played a big role in getting the games to Atlanta so criticizing sponsors seems strange.

Somewhat related...

My roommate at UF was dating (and later married and divorced within a month) a Brazilian girl who got a job in ATL with E&Y because Coca-Cola needed Brazilian speakers on their account to work on deals in Brazil for the Olympics and World Cup.

I'm going to go ahead and guess she was hot and by virtue of the married/divorce in a month, a little crazy.

I'm going to go ahead and guess she was hot and by virtue of the married/divorce in a month, a little crazy.

Incredibly hot and insane. They got engaged and I found out like 4 months later he was divorced. They decided to elope and then 3 weeks later she told him that she wanted to marry an American to get her green card.

She is now (per Facebook) engaged to a total DONK and I look at their picture and am like: look at her. Look at you. What do you think is going on here?

You obviously have to post pictures

jokes on jokes

Damn Eric Robert Rudolph.

Atlanta's an example of how the Olympics doesn't mean too much to a local economy.

When Blank finishes the new stadium, I suspect the World Cup will come to Atlanta in the 2020's/30's.

Don't forget they built The Ted for the Atlanta games and now it will be torn down, championshipless of course.

Or if you're looking for closer to London, Royal St. George's. I don't think the English would want Olympic events played in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Hell, the R&A won't let the Open be played at Portrush or County Down because they don't want the Open in NIR. And those 2 courses are amazing looking.

Reports are that the OPen is coming to Royal Portrush in 2019. The last 3 holes of the course are going to be modified to accommodate corporate hospitality and to make them a more difficult finish.

Peter Dawson's legacy of fucking with classic designs rather than legislating against technology is now complete.

On the subject of Open venues, they still haven't announced 2017 and 2018. It's pretty much a lock that one of them will be Carnoustie, pending the completion of a practice area.

That would be great if they got the Open to Portrush. That place is gorgeous. Are they going to have it at a different time than Marching Week?

Well, the Olympic Golf course is finished and has been seeded, so that means it must be time for someone in Rio to fuck things up.

The judge wants to know if they agree to "immediately" move three holes and redesign part of the course to make way for a wildlife corridor that will help preserve a local nature reserve, a demand made by local prosecutors.

The public prosecutor's office is taking on the city government and the golf course developer in a lawsuit that contends environmental rules were breached in building the course, which had been billed as one of the highlights of the Rio Games.

In the decision announced Monday, judge Eduardo Antonio Klausner denied a request to give more time for the two sides to negotiate and said the city and the developer have five days to confirm whether or not they'll re-design the disputed sections of the course.

In a nutshell, the environmentalists (who don't give a shit apparently about the toxicity of the water just off their glorious beaches) have made the Olympic Golf Course project a nightmare. With less than 2 years to go before the event, they are asking for 3 holes (12,14,15) TO BE FUCKING MOVED! So the architect, Gil Hanse, would have to come back in and build 3 completely new holes in a very short period of time, and then try to grow paspalum greens (which take more than a year to mature...much closer to 2 years). Never mind that the course was routed in a specific way to accommodate things such as spectator flow and site drainage and was done in a way to appease the environmental constraints placed on them in the initial permitting process.

There is next to zero chance that the architect can come in and create 3 quality holes that tie into the rest of the routing in any cohesive manner.

Here's a map of the routing. Good luck finding a place to move holes 12, 14 and 15.

Rio_routing.jpg

That is a really interesting course layout. Love all the water, especially the two small ponds on 12. Just looks like a fun course to play.

Well, the Olympic Golf course is finished and has been seeded, so that means it must be time for someone in Rio to fuck things up.

In a nutshell, the environmentalists (who don't give a shit apparently about the toxicity of the water just off their glorious beaches) have made the Olympic Golf Course project a nightmare. With less than 2 years to go before the event, they are asking for 3 holes (12,14,15) TO BE FUCKING MOVED! So the architect, Gil Hanse, would have to come back in and build 3 completely new holes in a very short period of time, and then try to grow paspalum greens (which take more than a year to mature...much closer to 2 years). Never mind that the course was routed in a specific way to accommodate things such as spectator flow and site drainage and was done in a way to appease the environmental constraints placed on them in the initial permitting process.

There is next to zero chance that the architect can come in and create 3 quality holes that tie into the rest of the routing in any cohesive manner.

Here's a map of the routing. Good luck finding a place to move holes 12, 14 and 15.

Rio_routing.jpg

Golf is such a stupid sport. OHH NOOESS our special fucking grass takes years to mature!!! Rally the guys and tell my personal assistant I am going to be late to my 3 o'clock boys because I need to go to Home Depot and buy a pitchfork!

Golf is such a stupid sport. OHH NOOESS our special fucking grass takes years to mature!!! Rally the guys and tell my personal assistant I am going to be late to my 3 o'clock boys because I need to go to Home Depot and buy a pitchfork!
This is a terrible post.

Back