• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOL at the IOC

If they ever have an Olympics in Great Britain again and golf is still an event, it better damn sure be played at St. Andrews.

Or if you're looking for closer to London, Royal St. George's. I don't think the English would want Olympic events played in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Hell, the R&A won't let the Open be played at Portrush or County Down because they don't want the Open in NIR. And those 2 courses are amazing looking.

Not really. Brazil is a country that already had the infrastructure in place to handle the World Cup. They have completely shit the bed building the infrastructure necessary for many of the Olympic events. They are over a year behind on the golf course, and that's just one minor example.

All stadiums still aren't complete and we are just over a month away from the opening match of the World Cup.

Does the IOC reimburse Brazil for the facilities that are 2/3 built but construction halted when it is announced Rio is no longer hosting that particular event?

Really is sad how they build these palaces to use for 2 weeks and then sit abandoned forever. Turner Field's 20 year lifespan isn't good by MLB stadium standards, but using the facility for 20 solid years post-Olympics is so much better than many Olympic venues. Unfortunately, these days you could never get to host the Olympics with a bid that said you'll run the main track events and opening/closing ceremonies in a half track/half baseball stadium.

Damn Eric Robert Rudolph.

Atlanta's an example of how the Olympics doesn't mean too much to a local economy.

When Blank finishes the new stadium, I suspect the World Cup will come to Atlanta in the 2020's/30's.

Are you saying the Olympics did nothing for the economy in Atlanta?

Forgive me for not staying on the Copa or in Ipanema. I stayed in Tijuca and commuted via metro, taxi, and bus for a couple weeks and at all times of day and night. I wouldn't do it again, but it was a good way to see much of the "real" city, even if I was steering clear of the truly shitty parts. Brazil is full of friendly people, but also has a ton of unsavory elements. It's not quite ready for prime time, IMO, but I hope they get their shit in order for the Olympics. Hell, even for the World Cup.

If I were to go back, I'd do more the touristy thing and confine myself to the beach bubble.

http://journalistsresource.org/stud...al-benefits-of-the-olympics-research-roundup#

Here's a compilation of research about the economic impact of the Olympics. It seems to lean towards the Olympics not providing a sustained economic impact but there are some studies that say it does.

The one interesting thing I noticed was that the IOC is bound by it's charter from providing economic support for the games. This makes me wonder what it does with all the advertising money the IOC is famous for protecting. Does that money go to the hosts and the IOC just protects it by not allowing other brands visibility or are they hoarding that money for other things?

My sister-in-law worked for the Atlanta COC in the 90s and I can't remember if she said Atlanta lost money during the Olympics or when it hosted the Super Bowl. Possibly both.

My sister-in-law worked for the Atlanta COC in the 90s and I can't remember if she said Atlanta lost money during the Olympics or when it hosted the Super Bowl. Possibly both.

IIRC, the Super Bowl was a cluster because of an ice storm.

If the WC host is going to epically fail, FIFA has had a plan to use the USA as a back-up host for over a decade. Hence their willingness to put the WC in new locations without fear.

Fail Brazil, Fail!

USA vs. Germany @ RFK ftmfw!

Atlanta did not lose money during the Olympics. They made a small profit, but were heavily criticized for the amount of corporate sponsorship of the games. Of course, future Olympic cities can always do what Montreal did in 1976. They can kowtow to the IOC, eschew corporate money, and take thirty years to pay off their debt.

If the WC host is going to epically fail, FIFA has had a plan to use the USA as a back-up host for over a decade. Hence their willingness to put the WC in new locations without fear.

Fail Brazil, Fail!

Fail Brazil, Fail!

Lol the unfinished Brazil stadiums are in better shape than RFK

Atlanta did not lose money during the Olympics. They made a small profit, but were heavily criticized for the amount of corporate sponsorship of the games. Of course, future Olympic cities can always do what Montreal did in 1976. They can kowtow to the IOC, eschew corporate money, and take thirty years to pay off their debt.

That sounds like it could be accurate. Like I said, it was either the Olympics or the Super Bowl. Hell, both were nearly 20 years ago. Sheez. I remember them catching flack for all the sponsors they got. Now it's the norm for the Olympics.

Shockingly, tourists base their impressions of a city from the, ya know, touristy areas. There's problem some lame ass Brazilian businessman decrying New York City on the interwebz right now because he somehow managed to spend too much time on Staten Island.

Back