• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lone Survivor

DDA

Reaction score
Apologies if Haas, but I Just finished the book and looking forward to the movie. Anyone else in the same boat?

For me, it was interesting that I had no recollection of Operation Red Wing until the PR machine started pumping up the movie. It was only then that I researched the events of that day which compelled me to read the book. I vaguely remember about hearing about it in the news but I'm sure it was a big thing back in 2005 I just can't recall reading or hearing about it much. Not sure if I was just weary of war-related stories or my memory just sucks (probably the latter).

Anyway, fascinating and tough read, all at once. Lutrell (author and survivor) goes into details about the battle and death of his SEAL buddies that I know I wouldn't be able to. He also conveys a big love for GWB, the SEALs, Texas, and hates the "liberal media." Really interesting perspective that I'm sure Fox News has already covered ad nauseum.

Anyone done any reading up on Lutrell and what he's doing now? Apparently he's about to go on a tour and do talks about his experience. I'd be interested in going if/when he comes to the Rdu area.

interesting book, especially the insight into SEAL training. I want to see the movie. book was a little too "hooyah!! g.i. joe, fuckin' libruls won't let us shoot the ragheads!" stuff

Last edited:
I remember the Chinook being shot down being a big deal. Is this the same story where people started questioning going back to recover a body "leave no man behind" or was that another chinook crash?

interesting book, especially the insight into SEAL training. I want to see the movie. book was a little too "hooyah!! g.i. joe, fuckin' libruls won't let us shoot the ragheads!" stuff

Yea, agree with the latter part. Seems forced, but then again, we have to remember he wrote the book shortly after the ordeal so you have to consider the context and emotions. Book was published in 2007, less than two years after Operation Red Wing.

The question I have is why didn't they just tie the goat herders up, knock them out, then bail on the mission and call in a helo exfil? Either way (letting them go, or tying up/killing them) they were screwed. I realize they had a mission to do but their fates were sealed as soon as the herders stumbled upon them. At least that's my take.

This; Luttrell came off as too big of a douche bag for me to really enjoy the book, which is a shame because the story is very compelling. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie though; the trailer looks pretty awesome.

I remember the Chinook being shot down being a big deal. Is this the same story where people started questioning going back to recover a body "leave no man behind" or was that another chinook crash?

"leave no man behind" is Blackhawk Down's motto... At least, that movie is what I think of when I hear that phrase and the questioning of going back to retrieve the bodies. Another great but depressing read BTW.

"leave no man behind" is Blackhawk Down's motto... At least, that movie is what I think of when I hear that phrase and the questioning of going back to retrieve the bodies. Another great but depressing read BTW.

That's a general theme in the military; for example the Soldier's Creed (Army) says, ..."I will never leave a fallen comrade.."

I'm sure the SEALS have their own version of that in a creed/motto/ethos somewhere.

That's a general theme in the military; for example the Soldier's Creed (Army) says, ..."I will never leave a fallen comrade.."

I'm sure the SEALS have their own version of that in a creed/motto/ethos somewhere.

True, I was just saying as a layman/civilian that when I hear that motto, it makes me think of Blackhawk Down which (seemed) to have brought the idea "leave no man behind" and the subsequent questioning to the forethought of the general public. But then again, I could be way off.

luttrell says it's a SEAL thing, but it's definitely an American military tradition, since Vietnam, anyway.

Marcus Luttrell spoke for about 45 minutes at our national sales meeting a couple of years ago. His description of the events that transpired was riveting. Looking forward to the movie.

I also hope that Gulab (Afghan villager who helped Luttrell) has received some hefty thanks from the US.

Read the book over Christmas and basically agree with taking things with a grain of salt based on his huge conservative slant.

It's pretty standard for the military. My brother is a Marine and I see it from his buddies.

I personally don't have any problem with it, and I think he brings up some very valid points. I just know that some people will easily dismiss those points based on that viewpoint.

It's pretty standard for the military. My brother is a Marine and I see it from his buddies.

I personally don't have any problem with it, and I think he brings up some very valid points. I just know that some people will easily dismiss those points based on that viewpoint.

Truth. We are not, nor have been, in his shoes.

You're right that Blackhawk down triggered a lot of that discussion as well. But I remember something happening in Afghanistan where they went back for a body in a Chinook and ran into an ambush. I want to say JAG did an episode about it, but that might have been earlier in the war.

I loved the book but y'all should def read some of the other histories of operation redwing. From all post op reports there were significantly less Taliban in the area than is reported in lone survivor.

I loved the book but y'all should def read some of the other histories of operation redwing. From all post op reports there were significantly less Taliban in the area than is reported in lone survivor.

So what are the histories saying? Curious... The number of AQ was less than what Lutrell reported? He says between 80-200

So what are the histories saying? Curious... The number of AQ was less than what Lutrell reported? He says between 80-200

The largest outside of Lutrell are at 100, lowest at 10. Most are in the 35-50 range.

His own after action report reports 20-35. The Medal of Honor paper work climbs to around 40. A speech shortly thereafter you get to 40-50 above and the same number on the flanks and the memoir climbs to 170-200.

Last edited:
Back