• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Long Time Buzz In Calls It Quits. Hire Chill or Battle as Interim Coach

Eh, really? We've won one NCAA game in my entire time as a Wake Forest fan. I'm not sure what the "norm" for us really is.

Jeff's miraculous success at AF culminated in a first round exit in the NCAA tourney. Wake completed at least that 6 out of the previous 9 seasons (I'm combining the Skip/Dino regimes) or 7 of the previous 10 seasons if you wanna throw in Odom's last year. So yes, I would say Jeff's "success" was the norm for Wake prior to his arrival.

I'm just saying, let's not act like we've ever been Syracuse or Kansas. Or, for that matter, Gonzaga or Pittsburgh or any other team that we think we "should" be.

Despite having a #1 ranking and lots of NBA talent roll through the doors, we've been straight up average in the post-season and have nothing to show for our "storied program" in the past 6 years other than a couple chances to rush the court against Duke and UNC.

I don't really care about comparing [Redacted] to Dino or Skip or Odom. I just think that, when all this is over, we need a serious reality check as a fan base. People can keep saying that a .500 season is a failure and accepting that is "loser mentality," but it doesn't change the fact that we haven't consistently strung together .500 seasons in a long time. Getting there would be a great first step for our future basketball prowess, if there will ever be such a thing.

I'm just saying, let's not act like we've ever been Syracuse or Kansas. Or, for that matter, Gonzaga or Pittsburgh or any other team that we think we "should" be.

Despite having a #1 ranking and lots of NBA talent roll through the doors, we've been straight up average in the post-season and have nothing to show for our "storied program" in the past 6 years other than a couple chances to rush the court against Duke and UNC.

I don't really care about comparing [Redacted] to Dino or Skip or Odom. I just think that, when all this is over, we need a serious reality check as a fan base. People can keep saying that a .500 season is a failure and accepting that is "loser mentality," but it doesn't change the fact that we haven't consistently strung together .500 seasons in a long time. Getting there would be a great first step for our future basketball prowess, if there will ever be such a thing.

I'm not saying that Wake has a rich basketball history. I'm saying that the pinnacle of [Redacted]'s success is a mediocre season by even Wake Forest standards.

And I thought I was on rep suicide tonight. Using 6 years as a barometer is a little silly since that encompasses right after the NBA rookie of the year and the 2nd best player on the planet unexpectedly leaves your program early.

A large portion of our fanbase believed we'd have CP3 for three years, and return and have unquestionably best team in the country in 2006. The fall from grace from those days, while slightly helped from the unexpected 2009 start, is pretty rough for a fanbase to get over.

Last edited:

Our fanbase does not need a reality check. Of course we're not Kansas or Syracuse or any other team that's won a national championship in basketball.

From 1991 until Skip's last season in 2007, Wake Forest made the postseason every single year. In that run, we made it to the Elite Eight once, the Sweet Sixteen four times, won an NIT tournament, two ACC tournaments and two ACC regular season titles (one out right). We finished no lower than fourth in the ACC in every one of those years except Skip's last two. We've had two National Players of the year and two ACC players of the year in that time frame. We also had two ACC rookie of the years. We achieved rankings in the Top 10 numerous times in that period culminating in the Number One ranking in 2005.

This program was a model of consistency. Granted we have a problem of underachieving relative to expectations in the postseason, but that is the only thing keeping us from joining that next level. Just because you have only been paying attention for a fraction of that time doesn't mean our expectations are out of whack. Our program is going through a down period but with the proper people in place, there is no reason we can't return or exceed that level achievement again.

Great post, Ranger.

Our fanbase does not need a reality check. Of course we're not Kansas or Syracuse or any other team that's won a national championship in basketball.

From 1991 until Skip's last season in 2007, Wake Forest made the postseason every single year. In that run, we made it to the Elite Eight once, the Sweet Sixteen four times, won an NIT tournament, two ACC tournaments and two ACC regular season titles (one out right). We finished no lower than fourth in the ACC in every one of those years except Skip's last two. We've had two National Players of the year and two ACC players of the year in that time frame. We also had two ACC rookie of the years. We achieved rankings in the Top 10 numerous times in that period culminating in the Number One ranking in 2005.

This program was a model of consistency. Granted we have a problem of underachieving relative to expectations in the postseason, but that is the only thing keeping us from joining that next level. Just because you have only been paying attention for a fraction of that time doesn't mean our expectations are out of whack. Our program is going through a down period but with the proper people in place, there is no reason we can't return or exceed that level achievement again.

I would be shocked if this was true

Some people most certainly do. It sucks, but that is part of being a fan.

Well, I won't go to waste hours of time I could be spending on not failing college. Thats more of what I was getting at. If someone has something better to do, they'll do it when the team is bad :p

Well, I won't go to waste hours of time I could be spending on not failing college. Thats more of what I was getting at. If someone has something better to do, they'll do it when the team is bad :p

I graduated college studying like 5 hours a week, I'm fairly sure you could find time to go out at 7PM twice a week for a half a semester and be just fine.

I graduated college studying like 5 hours a week, I'm fairly sure you could find time to go out at 7PM twice a week for a half a semester and be just fine.

But do we have better things to do than see us get smacked every few days? I sure as hell do. It's not all just studying: I feel like my schedule is crammed as is.

Just bring a date to the game then proceed to post on the board during the entire date (and game) as your girl is getting hit on by a popular actor. It makes it fun

Eh, really? We've won one NCAA game in my entire time as a Wake Forest fan. I'm not sure what the "norm" for us really is.

Strong start to the regular season and then a collapse when it matters most.

That sounds a lot like Wake Forest to me.

Back