• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Look at the balls on Claws(on)

What's everyone's opinion about flying our home opponents' school flags at the top of the East stands for the entirety of the season?

I basically just use it to check out our home schedule at a glance from our tailgating spot.

What's everyone's opinion about flying our home opponents' school flags at the top of the East stands for the entirety of the season?

Similar to a high school gym hanging banners of other conference teams. It’s fine.

My unfortunate prediction is that the season will be delayed and non-conference games will be the casualty. They'll squeeze all conference games into remaining weeks and let schools figure out what to do with missed non-conference games on an institution by institution basis.

They have been doing this for more than 45 years. Well before Melonhead. It is just fine.

The flags of all teams are fine. It’s the playing the fight song of the team your about to go to battle with that’s the ultimate no your place disgusting bitch move.

Flags are fine. I've been to plenty of stadiums (in plenty of sports) that have the teams in that league flying.

Playing the other team's fight song should have never happened. It was a horrible idea then and remains part of the Wellman #Culture that needs to be taken to the dumpster.

My unfortunate prediction is that the season will be delayed and non-conference games will be the casualty. They'll squeeze all conference games into remaining weeks and let schools figure out what to do with missed non-conference games on an institution by institution basis.

Problem is ND and noncon rivalry games. One solution would be to push Clemson and GT's games with ND back a year and move up ND games against two teams with in-conference rivalry games. That would keep everyone at 8 or 9 games.

Problem is ND and noncon rivalry games. One solution would be to push Clemson and GT's games with ND back a year and move up ND games against two teams with in-conference rivalry games. That would keep everyone at 8 or 9 games.

It could be that if Notre Dame wants to play football this year in a scenario like this, they have to join a league (meaning the ACC). Though that then creates an issue with uneven divisions since the ACC would be at 15 teams.

Wellman started the ritual of playing the visiting teams fight song after we played at Nebraska in 2004.

It started before that. We were doing it when I was in school in the early/mid-90s. We did it off and on throughout Wellman's tenure.

That's alright. Easy quick shorthand for knowing the schedule and gives little in the way of a emotional boost to our opponents. Besides, most schools have a listing of conference opponents hanging around somewhere.

It could be that if Notre Dame wants to play football this year in a scenario like this, they have to join a league (meaning the ACC). Though that then creates an issue with uneven divisions since the ACC would be at 15 teams.
Is Miami still playing football? Just sit them out.

The flags of all teams are fine. It’s the playing the fight song of the team your about to go to battle with that’s the ultimate no your place disgusting bitch move.

If you are gonna play the other team's fight song, just make sure that you do it slightly off-key and slightly off time.

Not so much as to be completely obvious, but just enough to be a little grating and irritating. Just a little bit out of tune to make it sound slightly ridiculous. Hey, we could turn this into a high art.

Initially, I thought put ND in the Coastal since the Atlantic is already loaded. But then, it would give ND and easy road to the ACC championship game each year. How about we move Clemson to the Coastal and out ND in the Atlantic? We play them every year (great press for Wake when we beat them) and we only play Clemson every 6 years.

Getting back to Clawson's balls:
I like that this may create more of a rivalry between instate schools. I know NC and State do not even consider WF a worthy opponent regardless of recent records. They just expect to win because they are such a larger school. If we win then it's a fluke. I'd imagine State/UNC consider their game to be the real rivalry and Duke wants create a three team rivalry. It's going to be interesting. God forbid we lose to one of them we'll never hear the end of it.

Initially, I thought put ND in the Coastal since the Atlantic is already loaded. But then, it would give ND and easy road to the ACC championship game each year. How about we move Clemson to the Coastal and out ND in the Atlantic? We play them every year (great press for Wake when we beat them) and we only play Clemson every 6 years.

I'm 100% down with that. We can justify this by saying Natty O just wants one weekend every year to hang out with his Notre Dame chums.

Getting back to Clawson's balls:
I like that this may create more of a rivalry between instate schools. I know NC and State do not even consider WF a worthy opponent regardless of recent records. They just expect to win because they are such a larger school. If we win then it's a fluke. I'd imagine State/UNC consider their game to be the real rivalry and Duke wants create a three team rivalry. It's going to be interesting. God forbid we lose to one of them we'll never hear the end of it.

I'd say that NCSU and UNC feel the same way about us that we do about APP State: we know we should beat them, we expect to beat them, we try to downplay them as a "rival", but at the end of the day we know they have a tradition of punching above their weight class and it's sense of relief and a quality win when the thing is over.

We’ve been punching out UNC and State pretty regularly for years.

We’ve been punching out UNC and State pretty regularly for years.

Nah, it’s a good comp. App’s winning % against Wake is pretty much identical to Wake’s against UNC/State.

Nah, it’s a good comp. App’s winning % against Wake is pretty much identical to Wake’s against UNC/State.

Well, that’s technically true. But Wake-NCSU have played 113 times, Wake-UNC 115 times, and Wake-App 23 times. Wake has only played App once since 2001, and won (barely) on the road.

Comparing overall win percentages here is pretty misleading, especially considering the dismal football Wake has played at times historically, which is pretty clearly several levels below where the program is established now. Wake is 6-4 in last ten against UNC, and 5-5 in last ten against NC State.

But there’s some truth to the comparison if what is being said is that Wake and App each are currently at a higher level of football than their average across their football history.

Back