• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Looking at this year's players in future

I don't agree it is up to the two players. Hopefully, the coaches can get it in sync.TC is shooting like 10% or something from 3.

Right before this game Chase was getting less than 6 shots and Tony 9. Let's at least reverse those numbers for starters.

Those numbers can be explained most simply by noting that Chase does not force any shots. He passes up some shots many would like him to take. I expect that he might take more shots as his confidence and experience at this level increases.

TC has been known to force a shot or two.

After today Chase is at 5 and TC is close to 10. I hope those guys get on the same page.

Tony would be happy with this. The problem is Chase doesn't yet get himself in position to get those shots.

I know this in't a popular position to take, but if you look at the tapes, Tony looks first for the open man. Then he looks forb the sot.

If Chase could figure out how to get open looks, those shot totals would be reversed.

Ah yes, it's the shooter's job to figure out how to get open looks because JJ was coordinating all of those double-screen sets himself... :D

And, even if, as you say, TC looks for the man first, he never does so once he's on the move, particularly when he's coming off of a screen or on his way to the basket.

C'mon, RJ, but you're better than this.

After today Chase is at 5 and TC is close to 10. I hope those guys get on the same page.

The major reason doesn't get more is that he doesn't get himself open for more. This is understandable and hopefully will change with experience.

One of the issues is Chase is used to having the ball in his hands 100% of the time. That won't happen in college.

Our offense is very diffuclt to learn. Chase hasn't had enough time to do so. When he does, I hope he'll figure out how to find the holes and use the picks. If he does, he'll be a very big weapon off the bench.

As to the number of shots Tony takes. If you look at yesterday's game, you'll see his last two shots were taken 100% out of necessity. The last was because we had to get one up and the big who was covered by Garrett didn't dive to the basket for the pass. The previous one was as the shot clock expired.

When the rest of the team understands the offense as well Tony does, his shot total will drop. When the wings/big guy understand that they are supposed to follow Tony on his drives, he will hit them for layups.

He has made several of those passes over the past three games only to have them dropped. That's not great, but it's OK. The more used to the offense they get. The better it will be and the fewer shots Tony will take.

This is the most difficult offense anyone plays in the ACC. We are light years ahead of last year and are bringing in players who fit both the offense and the defense that we are playing this year.

Ah yes, it's the shooter's job to figure out how to get open looks because JJ was coordinating all of those double-screen sets himself... :D

Knowing which way to move off the picks is something JJ learned. Pluse we aren't setting double picks or that many wing picks for Chase yet.

And, even if, as you say, TC looks for the man first, he never does so once he's on the move, particularly when he's coming off of a screen or on his way to the basket.

Actually if you looked at the Dayton and TT games, you'll see Tony dropping passes to the bigs which were ropped ort the shots missed. Of course this is not spoken about.

One mistake is making in his drives is that he isn't drawing enough contact. He should be getting more FTs.

Agani, he's not our future PG ,but he is a piece that helps us.

rj, I have made my points on this issue and don't see a need to repeat them. My next major issue is rebounding or the lack thereof.

Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
Ah yes, it's the shooter's job to figure out how to get open looks because JJ was coordinating all of those double-screen sets himself...

Knowing which way to move off the picks is something JJ learned. Pluse we aren't setting double picks or that many wing picks for Chase yet.

Actually if you looked at the Dayton and TT games, you'll see Tony dropping passes to the bigs which were ropped ort the shots missed. Of course this is not spoken about.

One mistake is making in his drives is that he isn't drawing enough contact. He should be getting more FTs.

Agani, he's not our future PG ,but he is a piece that helps us.

I actually did mention TC's drop-off passes to Daniel and Nikita on another thread if you want to look for it. That's part of the problem. Unless Bzz is an absolute idiot, he's not running plays for Daniel and Nikita, so either they are just that bad at moving without the ball (as BabyDeac suggested on another thread) or TC is that bad at reading the offense. I'm guessing it's somewhere in between, but regardless, he has to get better.

We're not running ANYTHING for Chase. Everything he is getting recently is because of his own court awareness.

rj, I have made my points on this issue and don't see a need to repeat them. My next major issue is rebounding or the lack thereof.

Our rebounding is due to a total lack of size and strength.

Carson wil lbe a better rebounder with another big next to him.

Currently we #326 in rebounding not going to win many games unless we improve maybe Ty will help out. Next season I hope Devin has grown into a 5 and we use our 1 ship on a big.

Believe or not we are averaging 8 offensive rebounds a game. That is really bad. Travis gets two of those.

The Bzzz tradition: Ranked over 300 in rebounding.

Believe or not we are averaging 8 offensive rebounds a game. That is really bad. Travis gets two of those.

Averaging 23.8% of offensive boards according to KenPom..329th in the nation. That includes a 36% rate yesterday lol.

There is just no way that Harris and McKie are equals at shooters. It's not even close. Even Ray Charles could see that.

And CJ is absolutely crucial to our team's offense. Nobody else on the team can create their own shot.

I was just looking at statistics. You can say whatever you want, but they're shooting roughly the same percentage over their careers from everywhere. McKie's two pointers are inflated by his closeness to the basket versus CJ's mid-range jumpers, but if you compare their stats, they are very close. Travis really worked on his outside shot this offseason though so I'm somewhat mitigating the small sample size of his hot outside start to this year.

Back