• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Looking at this year's players in future

CJ is the only player on the team that can create their own shot anywhere.

TC can get into the lane like nobody's business and Travis can usually get some offense driving the baseline. But I agree in principle (just explaining why I made the distinction).

I'm a bit surprised at Chase's inability to create his own shot. For such a high level scorer in high school, I'd thought he might have some moves in his arsenal that had him taking the ball to the basket or even a pull up jumper, but today he was unable to even get a look at the basket.

He does have some moves, but he's not getting many looks. You forget that he's a freshman and a physically immature one at that.

He made a very mature read at the end of the game, passing up a contested 3 for a pull-up (where he drew a foul).

TC can get into the lane like nobody's business and Travis can usually get some offense driving the baseline. But I agree in principle (just explaining why I made the distinction).

Well many times TC steps out of bounds while trying to get there and when he does get there he gets it taken from him or blocked 73% of the time.

I'll also chime in and say CJ is better than Travis right now.

Agreed. CJ has the ability to score everywhere on the court. He can drive to the lane, hit FT's, hit 3's, and the part I love most, he can hit mid-range jumpers.

Travis may have more potential and upside in terms of NBA ability, but right now CJ is our most consistent player all around.

And really, who is better doesn't matter. Both are great players who are talented and hustle, but neither is going to win a lot of games in their career because they are stuck on bad teams. Not a lot of talent surrounding them right now. Perhaps next year.

Travis is better than CJ, but it's closer than most thought it would be. They are basically the only threats we have on offense outside of a Chase Fischer 3, and they're both going to average up near 20 a game this season (vacuum).

CJ is better at more things than Travis is, and I think CJ is a little bit smarter (not to say Travis is dumb) on the court due to his experience, but Travis has more potential as a basketball player. What CJ has built himself into while at Wake is pretty remarkable when you think about where he was coming out of high school. Right now, Travis is a little bit better just because of natural talent, but the gap between their skills is going to widen as Travis gets older, stronger, and more experienced.

They're roughly pushes at shooting the ball (within 3% in every single shooting category, 2's, 3's, and free throws). Travis' ability to rebound the ball is the best single talent that either player has, and it's not even close IMO.

CJ is better at creating his own shot and passing the ball. They're distinctly different players, but IMO Travis means a lot more to the team than CJ and is the better player. I do agree with MBDeac's last point that it doesn't really matter who's better.

They're roughly pushes at shooting the ball (within 3% in every single shooting category, 2's, 3's, and free throws). Travis' ability to rebound the ball is the best single talent that either player has, and it's not even close IMO.

CJ is better at creating his own shot and passing the ball. They're distinctly different players, but IMO Travis means a lot more to the team than CJ and is the better player. I do agree with MBDeac's last point that it doesn't really matter who's better.

That CJ is a better finisher inside of the arc is a tad disturbing, though.

Bzz and co. have to get Travis better looks. It's getting pitiful. Everytime Nikita jacks up a three, I pull some hair out..

That CJ is a better finisher inside of the arc is a tad disturbing, though.

Bzz and co. have to get Travis better looks. It's getting pitiful. Everytime Nikita jacks up a three, I pull some hair out..

Nikita is probably one of the better shooters on the team, but I do agree Travis needs better looks.

The motion offense does not put Travis in the best positions IMO.

In response to RJ's original post, I woud offer a contrary opinion on three of his observations.

CJ is not going to be a sixth man next year. Period. Mark it down. That statement is just flat wrong. No freshman is going to come in and take his starting role. He will be the senior leader of the team.

You have a very optimistic view of Carson. I will not elaborate, but you are quite generous in you comments.

Chase is not a one-dimensional player. He has one of the higher basketball IQs on the team and will get better with experience. The problem with the one-dimension that you reference is that he is a deadly spot-up shooter, but has not demonstrated that he can create off the bounce. He will not be left wide open frequently enough against our stronger opponents who have a book on him to get his shot off until we have an inside scoring threat. That is probably two years away.

TC is unwilling to pass to Chase for some reason. I noticed this summer when they played on the same team. It is even more pronounced now. Chase needs some screens up top and TC can pass more to him or sit.

There is just no way that Harris and McKie are equals at shooters. It's not even close. Even Ray Charles could see that.

And CJ is absolutely crucial to our team's offense. Nobody else on the team can create their own shot.

Nikita is probably one of the better shooters on the team, but I do agree Travis needs better looks.

The motion offense does not put Travis in the best positions IMO.

Nikita is one of our better shooters???

In what world????

He's shooting 33% inside of the arc and 23% outside of it....

By the numbers, Nikita is our worst shooter both 2FG% and per-shot-attempt at 3FG%.

Nikita is one of our better shooters???

In what world????

He's shooting 33% inside of the arc and 23% outside of it....

By the numbers, Nikita is our worst shooter both 2FG% and 3FG%. Even Fields and Tony are better.

Nikita is one of our better shooters. That doesn't mean he takes good shots during games.

Strange argument since they are our two best players and don't play the same position. I'm more concerned about who is going to help these two since we are hurting at the1,4 and 5.

Nikita is one of our better shooters. That doesn't mean he takes good shots during games.

Ahh, so we're back to the "trust me, he's a great shooters" excuse that made it okay to sit through the Joseph Amonett era?

Strange argument since they are our two best players and don't play the same position. I'm more concerned about who is going to help these two since we are hurting at the1,4 and 5.

Getting this thread back on track,
I think CMM will start from the get-go at PG next year. My understanding of his game is that he can do everything that either guard position requires. I also like the idea of having two guards who can drive into the lane or shoot from the mid-range or even deep.

Devin Thomas and Carson will also probably start at the PF and C positions, respectively. I like the idea of allowing the two of them to play off of each other in high/low situations, but this only works if Thomas is strong enough to maintain a low-post presence and Carson can continue to improve his passing ability.

Who logs major minutes at the guard positions besides CMM and CJ will be, IMO, situational. Rountree creates obvious match-up problems, Chase is a spot-up shooter, Fields is a passer, and Tony drives to the basket and runs the break pretty well.

We'll still be thin in the frontcourt, so Green and Washington will get their minutes here and there. I would expect Cavanaugh to play the most of the 3 frontcourt subs, but I don't know much at all about his game, so I dunno where he'll fit into the rotation. Moto and Travis will split time at the 3, although I'd like to see them on the floor at the same time

I'd say Travis and CJ are roughly equal in terms of value to our team. Wish both had less bad TOs today though.
Chase is hardly one dimensional. Your are losing credibility with that statement, RJ. For a freshman, has a very good sense of the game, where he should be and where others are. Has shown an ability to create offense, pass, make steals and finish in traffic. I think he'll get more aggressive in demanding the ball and creating his own shot when he's not a freshman.
Not sure how I feel about Carson but in his last 2 games he's scored from the outside and midrange but can't get anything within 3 ft of the hoop.
Tony has some qualities. Just shoots it worse than Ish and prone to mental lapses. He's not a net negative as some would suggest.

Getting this thread back on track,
I think CMM will start from the get-go at PG next year. My understanding of his game is that he can do everything that either guard position requires. I also like the idea of having two guards who can drive into the lane or shoot from the mid-range or even deep.

Devin Thomas and Carson will also probably start at the PF and C positions, respectively. I like the idea of allowing the two of them to play off of each other in high/low situations, but this only works if Thomas is strong enough to maintain a low-post presence and Carson can continue to improve his passing ability.

Who logs major minutes at the guard positions besides CMM and CJ will be, IMO, situational. Rountree creates obvious match-up problems, Chase is a spot-up shooter, Fields is a passer, and Tony drives to the basket and runs the break pretty well.

We'll still be thin in the frontcourt, so Green and Washington will get their minutes here and there. I would expect Cavanaugh to play the most of the 3 frontcourt subs, but I don't know much at all about his game, so I dunno where he'll fit into the rotation. Moto and Travis will split time at the 3, although I'd like to see them on the floor at the same time

Thanks for getting us back on track :golfclap:

Our best hope at being good next year is if this is our best line up:

1/2 - CMM
1/2 - CJ
3/4 - Moto
3/4 - Travis
5 - Devin

Back