• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville Game Time - 7:30 ACCN

There is absolutely 100% zero doubt that CBS had control of the football.

WTF was the officiating crew looking. They just pulled a call out of their ass and stuck with it. There is no excuse for this. Why have the replay if you don’t use it. Clawson is dead right. He should have just left the team on the field in offensive position and kept getting penalties, complete hatchet job on us, and if Currie has any balls he will do something. If this had happened at Clemson th refs wouldn’t have gotten out of the stadium.

This is a very good team that had an off night, but fought back and would have won the game if not for the ridiculous call.

Talk about LOWF this is it. Getting hosed with no press or repercussions to the idiot officiating crew.

Sadly, the UNC 1 extra second/not even sure if they could have gotten another snap off/still would have required a miracle hail Mary has gotten more pub than what for us was an almost sure tie/good shot at the win.

LOWF syndrome played into their inability to overrule the clearly incorrect call on the field. (Leaving the players out of position to protest would have been fascinating but counter productive. It would have been interesting and entertaining, however.) LOWF plays into the complete lack of media discussion about a hugely blown and consequential call. It is amazing that they just really do not care to discuss it.

So what to do about LOWF? WF needs to learn the reasons the town did not show up in droves when a Top 25 team was playing. Yes it was a decent crowd by WF standards but not for a nationally ranked team. WF needs to make the experience for the local fans the best of the ACC from the time the fan starts their car in the driveway until they get back home. At Death Valley and similar places the number of fans literally intimidate the refs whether they want to admit it or not. If WF wants to be treated like the big schools on the field WF will have to start acting like one. I generally commend Coach Clawson for his handling of himself as a big school coach. His answer to Stan Cotten whether he had ever coached a team that successfully kicked 2 onside kicks in the same game was pitch perfect Bill Bellichek: "Yes, tonight." Coach Clawson should repeat it every chance he gets because Pea Head Walker would have until his last breath.

Midway thru the 4th quarter when we were getting drilled , i thought to myself well this sucks that we wasted one of Hartmans 4 games on this mess. Then he got back in the game and went nuts do it turned out to be a great experience for him. Still want him to redshirt though, that is a big key for rest of this season in how we manage his 3 remaining games

[/B]

How is that disagreeing with me saying he hesitated and then brought it out? I think you're right he was going to take the touch back and saw an opportunity and took it out. I think our piss poor down field coverage may have been a product of assuming he wouldn't bring it out, which was very poor on our part.

2 rules of kick coverage. Stay in your lanes and do not lose contain. We broke both rules repeatedly. Not sure but Bassey may have been our right side contain guy. CBS also had some on either later KO or punt.

Midway thru the 4th quarter when we were getting drilled , i thought to myself well this sucks that we wasted one of Hartmans 4 games on this mess. Then he got back in the game and went nuts do it turned out to be a great experience for him. Still want him to redshirt though, that is a big key for rest of this season in how we manage his 3 remaining games

I thought that same thing for a moment in his first half appearance, then was reminded he gets 4 games. Boy, was he good, and affirmed our positive thoughts about him and his progress since last year.

Thought WF might kick deep too, but Clawson obviously felt the defense would be unable to stop L'ville from getting a FD, and he turned out to be correct as not only did L'ville get a FD, but scored a TD. That said, maybe L'ville doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 from their side of the 50. Also, WF kick coverage was so bad, Clawson likely thought that an onside kick does not necessarily result in better L'ville field position even if they recover.

As mentioned by others, the play that cost WF the chance to drive for the winning TD was not the 4th and 1 score (or the decision to go for the on-side kick), but the 3rd and 11 play when the L'ville QB scrambled for 10 yards which put L'ville in a position to go for it on 4th down. L'ville 3rd string QB Evan Conley is a marginal runner at best (his nickname is 5.1), and WF had to be aware that L'ville might be reluctant to throw the ball because an incompletion stops the clock (and INT is a disaster). Just can't allow the QB to ramble for 10 yards in that situation. Weak.

Well, except that was a 4th and 1 at mid-field. No way they go for 4th and 1 on their 20 or 30. Given the defense did get to 4th and 1, I think the logic is wrong to say the results proved the point.

MTOW film review

(there's a lot here, and some of it might be made moot in a few hours when we get the depth chart and have the Tuesday presser with Clawson)

MTOW film review

(there's a lot here, and some of it might be made moot in a few hours when we get the depth chart and have the Tuesday presser with Clawson)

I just read that. You got any inside knowledge on predicting Hartman getting the start against FSU or just a gut based on the Wolford example you cite? Hartman certainly played well, but how much of his success was due to a Louisville defense probably playing more of a prevent look ( yet again shows it usually prevents or almost prevents teams from winning)? I think the FSU game is huge for us and I just kind of hate the thought of Sam getting his first start this year in such an important game.

I just read that. You got any inside knowledge on predicting Hartman getting the start against FSU or just a gut based on the Wolford example you cite? Hartman certainly played well, but how much of his success was due to a Louisville defense probably playing more of a prevent look ( yet again shows it usually prevents or almost prevents teams from winning)? I think the FSU game is huge for us and I just kind of hate the thought of Sam getting his first start this year in such an important game.

No inside info, just using past to try and predict future.

I understand the trepidation to Sam only having success because Louisville was in prevent, but the counterpoint is look at well-prepared he was to enter the game -- and now imagine he gets a full week of starter reps. I mean, the best throw he made all night might have been the ball to Scotty that was ruled incomplete, and that was in the 2nd quarter.

I understand the trepidation to Sam only having success because Louisville was in prevent, but the counterpoint is look at well-prepared he was to enter the game -- and now imagine he gets a full week of starter reps. I mean, the best throw he made all night might have been the ball to Scotty that was ruled incomplete, and that was in the 2nd quarter.

Yeah, I agree, he looked ready to hit the ground running when he got his shot.

Agree that Clawson will manage the FSU with the mindset "what do we need to do to get Jamie healthy for Clemson/rest of the season/bowl game."

Optimism: While FSU has tape on Hartman, they don't have much tape on 2019 Hartman. That guud.

MTOW film review

thanks for this, Conor. These stood out to me:

• And on the first real snap, a pass through Sage Surratt’s hands. That’s not as much the harbinger as where Louisville’s Anthony Johnson was — draped all over Surratt.

“That’s football. All corners have a different playing style, you know, those guys were a little more aggressive,” Surratt said when asked about how physical Louisville’s defensive backs were. “And you’ve just gotta play football, though.”

Steve Claude is getting shoved in the back when a pass goes through his hands. Call that drop if you want, but it’s also pass interference.

The book on Wake Forest’s receivers is to be physical. That much is clear at the midway point of the season.

Surratt has the right mindset - there will be contact, don't count on it being called, fight through it and make the play

Surratt has the right mindset - there will be contact, don't count on it being called, fight through it and make the play

Anybody else think that referees might tend to give corners a little more leeway against big receivers like Washington and Surratt too?

Sure. And he’s scored TDs by doing that but the refs still called PI because it’s the right thing to do.

TBF, the book on basically any receiver is to be physical.

Finally got to watch the whole thing yesterday, and I am sure much of this has been stated, but I am not exactly mad about that game. Mistakes were made, especially on special teams, but those can be fixed. Louisville had more speed than us and used it well, but how many other teams are going to have that kind of speed. Missed assignments and missed tackles can be corrected. I saw a team that kept playing hard till the end. No panic, no lowly old Wake Forest, we are gonna lose this game, the offense kept humming no matter who was in. We have something special with Surratt and Washington, and even Hinton is not much of a drop off from Dortch.

Maybe our bye week plan really sucks, but thankfully we have no more byes. Louisville played a heck of a game, but so did we. I do not think we will be goin 10-2, as we clearly are mortal, but this is still a fun team to watch. I felt like I was watching some mid 2000's Texas Tech, just waiting to see how fast we could score.

We have a bye that starts in 5 days.

Last week I hung out with a Wake friend of mine who is a big NFL guy but doesn’t follow college football. I told him Wake was ranked and had a QB showing up on Heisman long lists and a few NFL top 3 round prospects. He was shocked and planned to watch the Louisville game. He got hooked on our offense early in the game before we even really got humming. He said, “10 minutes left in 2nd quarter, 28-21, I feel like I've been watching for 3 hours there's been so much action.” He was also eager to draft Sage in his fantasy league.

Last edited:
Finally got to watch the whole thing yesterday, and I am sure much of this has been stated, but I am not exactly mad about that game. Mistakes were made, especially on special teams, but those can be fixed. Louisville had more speed than us and used it well, but how many other teams are going to have that kind of speed. Missed assignments and missed tackles can be corrected. I saw a team that kept playing hard till the end. No panic, no lowly old Wake Forest, we are gonna lose this game, the offense kept humming no matter who was in. We have something special with Surratt and Washington, and even Hinton is not much of a drop off from Dortch.

Maybe our bye week plan really sucks, but thankfully we have no more byes. Louisville played a heck of a game, but so did we. I do not think we will be goin 10-2, as we clearly are mortal, but this is still a fun team to watch. I felt like I was watching some mid 2000's Texas Tech, just waiting to see how fast we could score.
FSU and Clemson have as much (and more) speed than UL.

We have another Bye after the FSU game.

But yes, considering how "un-Wake Forest" we played, we still hung around somehow.

Back