• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville Game Time - 7:30 ACCN

and our defense had guys run by them all night long

if PI is going to go uncalled, maybe it's time to PI and hold the other team's receivers all night long; if the refs call it, then demand they call it both ways

Lots of officiating issues across CFB this year so we get our share. It is a great thing that our games matter this much now. Tell us how that "demand they call it" thing works, would you?

Lots of officiating issues across CFB this year so we get our share. It is a great thing that our games matter this much now. Tell us how that "demand they call it" thing works, would you?

easy - be a relentless asshole on the sidelines all night long, just like the UL coaches were

remind the refs that they just allowed the same thing to go uncalled the other way

I found it interesting that Clawson says CBS came out of the pile with the ball on the last onside kick. Not sure if a case of TV cameras doing a horrible job and not showing the end of the scrum and CBS popping out of pile with it or CBS and team being too nonchalant with it, but you normally see the guy coming out of the pile jumping up and down and pointing their direction. You have to do everything you can to convince refs and seem like the whole Cardinal sidelines was doing it while our players were too nonchalant as never saw CBS or anyone else for that matter showing the ball to the ref.

Weird way to end it for certain if CBS truly did come out of pile with the ball.

Any thoughts to go back 3 minutes from end (last minute) and consider: We scored with 3+ minutes remaining and 1 TO left and score 55-52. IIRC.
Why did we choose to not kick off deep that time? An on-side kick is a low desperation kick and rarely successful, tho' we just did it. We gave LU a short field and they scored a final TD.

Did Clawson figure we had a lower chance to stop them and force a punt (with 3 minutes) than to execute another OSK successfully? That's what coaches are paid to determine but I thought to kick off, force a punt and go for win/tie was a better chance. At the 1 minute point we had no choice but to OSK. Maybe we got the recovery but was ruled otherwise. I taped the game plus an extra hour, but my DVR ended just before that play. A 4.5+ hour game. Anyone see that last sequence - did we get hosed on the call?

Any thoughts to go back 3 minutes from end (last minute) and consider: We scored with 3+ minutes remaining and 1 TO left and score 55-52. IIRC.
Why did we choose to not kick off deep that time? An on-side kick is a low desperation kick and rarely successful, tho' we just did it. We gave LU a short field and they scored a final TD.

Did Clawson figure we had a lower chance to stop them and force a punt (with 3 minutes) than to execute another OSK successfully? That's what coaches are paid to determine but I thought to kick off, force a punt and go for win/tie was a better chance. At the 1 minute point we had no choice but to OSK. Maybe we got the recovery but was ruled otherwise. I taped the game plus an extra hour, but my DVR ended just before that play. A 4.5+ hour game. Anyone see that last sequence - did we get hosed on the call?

Thought WF might kick deep too, but Clawson obviously felt the defense would be unable to stop L'ville from getting a FD, and he turned out to be correct as not only did L'ville get a FD, but scored a TD. That said, maybe L'ville doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 from their side of the 50. Also, WF kick coverage was so bad, Clawson likely thought that an onside kick does not necessarily result in better L'ville field position even if they recover.

As mentioned by others, the play that cost WF the chance to drive for the winning TD was not the 4th and 1 score (or the decision to go for the on-side kick), but the 3rd and 11 play when the L'ville QB scrambled for 10 yards which put L'ville in a position to go for it on 4th down. L'ville 3rd string QB Evan Conley is a marginal runner at best (his nickname is 5.1), and WF had to be aware that L'ville might be reluctant to throw the ball because an incompletion stops the clock (and INT is a disaster). Just can't allow the QB to ramble for 10 yards in that situation. Weak.

Last edited:
Replay showed CBS on his back on the ground with the ball in his arm. There was a late hit (called) on #3 of Louisville that may have jarred the ball loose. Then some unknown Louisville player was deemed to have the ball as players were unpiled.

I don't dislike Satterfield but as a Williams grad Clawson's a much better fit for us. Satterfield has no experience at an academic school (far from it with App and Louisville on his resume).

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, so maybe I’ll just kick this one......
Our defense was awful. If you add up all the offensive yards UL had (rushing, passing, returns) they had 800 yds of total offense. 800! I’m sure that must be a record against us. Even if we score 59 regularly, we’re not going to win if our oppogets 800 yds.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, so maybe I’ll just kick this one......
Our defense was awful. If you add up all the offensive yards UL had (rushing, passing, returns) they had 800 yds of total offense. 800! I’m sure that must be a record against us. Even if we score 59 regularly, we’re not going to win if our oppogets 800 yds.

Yeah, the most misleading stat of the game is the total yard advantage we had. Return yards should be included in total yards.

I don't dislike Satterfield but as a Williams grad Clawson's a much better fit for us. Satterfield has no experience at an academic school (far from it with App and Louisville on his resume).

I could give a sh*t where our head coach went to college. If he can recruit and coach.

Man just watched the replay on the last onside kick. If our guy is at the bottom of the pile and gives it to the ref how TF was it called Louisville’s ball on the field?

The returner for Louisville on the one he ran back for a TD looked like he caught the ball in the endzone, hesitated a moment like he was going to take the touch back and then brought it out. I think our guys hesitated a little bit too. That's no excuse to give up that return, but wasn't there a time years ago when you actually had to field the ball and down it even in the endzone. Now guys can catch and stand still or even let the ball hit in the endzone and not even field it and get a touch back. I didn't think it used to be that way.

The returner for Louisville on the one he ran back for a TD looked like he caught the ball in the endzone, hesitated a moment like he was going to take the touch back and then brought it out. I think our guys hesitated a little bit too. That's no excuse to give up that return, but wasn't there a time years ago when you actually had to field the ball and down it even in the endzone. Now guys can catch and stand still or even let the ball hit in the endzone and not even field it and get a touch back. I didn't think it used to be that way.

I disagree. I watched it again, and our attack was all on the left side of the field. Even the guys lined up on the right tacked way left. I think the Louisville returner looked up and saw our piss poor down field spacing and decided to take off, goad them his right (our left) a few steps and then broke it left (our right) where there was literally nobody there to even push him back to the middle.

I disagree. I watched it again, and our attack was all on the left side of the field. Even the guys lined up on the right tacked way left. I think the Louisville returner looked up and saw our piss poor down field spacing and decided to take off, goad them his right (our left) a few steps and then broke it left (our right) where there was literally nobody there to even push him back to the middle.

Yep - I had a perfect angle from our seats and could see the play unfold.

How is that disagreeing with me saying he hesitated and then brought it out? I think you're right he was going to take the touch back and saw an opportunity and took it out. I think our piss poor down field coverage may have been a product of assuming he wouldn't bring it out, which was very poor on our part.

I probably missed it, but I am just happy that there isn't a discussion of a QB controversy after this game.

I probably missed it, but I am just happy that there isn't a discussion of a QB controversy after this game.

Both played well. People should be more invested in Hartman preserving the redshirt.

There is absolutely 100% zero doubt that CBS had control of the football.

WTF was the officiating crew looking. They just pulled a call out of their ass and stuck with it. There is no excuse for this. Why have the replay if you don’t use it. Clawson is dead right. He should have just left the team on the field in offensive position and kept getting penalties, complete hatchet job on us, and if Currie has any balls he will do something. If this had happened at Clemson th refs wouldn’t have gotten out of the stadium.

This is a very good team that had an off night, but fought back and would have won the game if not for the ridiculous call.

Talk about LOWF this is it. Getting hosed with no press or repercussions to the idiot officiating crew.

Back